MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
JustKoch

Feedback Rating: (0)

Feed back - Touring Bikes

Hey folks - new here - so would like some feedback here. I am going to be in the hunt for a touring bike - what are some good years/models that would be good for an inexperienced rider to pick up - I have seen the Harleys on the roads that are touring bikes and those are $$ so what are other options that would make a solid touring bike for about 1-3 years until I am truly ready to upgrade. Reason for looking for that platform - is because I hear it is more comfortable - and if you're goign on long rides it is much comfortable. Also keeping my budget kinda low right now - putting a daughter through school at UNT sucks up most of the money at this time.
Unless someone else has some suggestions that I should also look at. I'll be taking a refresher bike class in a few weeks with my son - and then after that probably pick up a bike to ride. (Tried to find the right sub-forum for this but didn't really see any so posted here).

Thanks folks!
JustKoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LowDown Solos for FL Touring Bikes Launched NewsBot Industry News 0 03-17-2015 10:40 PM
Tires for Sport Touring bikes BOP Leader WILD WEST MOTOPLEX 5 06-25-2013 11:37 AM
FEED BACK H2447INTX Forum Updates & Feedback 26 12-15-2007 01:22 PM
Feed back from Barber bumblebee General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 06-23-2007 09:26 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2019, 09:00 PM   #2
Polk540

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2001 DRZ400E (Down) and GSX650F
2001 CBR F4i (Sold)
2005 DR650SE (Sold)
2012 CBR 250R/ABS (Sold)
1987 YSR50 (Sold and missed)

I would say look at some of the 'dual sports' mostly of the larger variety more geared toward the street with ocassional off road use. The Vstrom 650 and Honda XC700 come to mind off the top of my head as good road/touring bikes. Very capable on the road for longer trips, and with plentiful seat upgrade options. If you're looking for more sport touring status on the low budget end of the scale and don't really mind sound of the engine, you can look at the older Kawasaki Concourse. They come in at 1000cc's but I've heard are quite comfortable for long rides. You could also check out the ST1100, The 'Pacific Coast' also made by Honda is said to be good and comfortable as well. Just be careful on the throttle, though that's true with most any bike you'll get. Even a 250 can pull the front end up. It takes some doing though.
Polk540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:37 AM   #3
Oskar_Z28

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
15 GROM
17 FZ10

BMW F750 GS....there is a 310 version, but I think over time you will get bored with it. BMWs in my opinion are most comfortable bikes out there. I currently ride FZ10 / MT10 which in my mind is pretty comfortable, but I am coming from R1 so perspective is different.
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #4
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1997 XR400 TARDED

vfr 750/900, suzuki bandit, honda cb600/919, yamaha fz series, triumph sprint these are all great bikes with comfy ergos that can be had for almost nothing.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:11 AM   #5
cesj

Bike(s):
2009 YZF-R1
2007 YZF R6
TZ250

I had a blast on Kawaski Concourse 14.
cesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #6
BryanE
CMRA #246

Bike(s):
2016 R3 Race
2011 R6 Race
2017 Terracraft Super Trike
2001 SV650 Race
2014 Grom

Member Garage

I have a BMW RT 1200 2007 model in great shape 25K miles. Awesome Touring bikes tried and true. I have too many bikes and have not had time for her. I would let it go for $5K which is a steal. PM Me if interested and I will shoot some photos for you
BryanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-18-2019, 03:50 PM   #7
JustKoch

So while I am discussing touring bikes - how long after you have been riding before you started letting someone ride with you. My wife for sure wants to ride as well - so hence the reason why I am also looking for something that would be comfortable for both myself and her to ride on. Inputs? Thanks to everyone who has responded!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:35 PM   #8
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2002 Yamaha WR250
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

Vfr, Concorse 1400, Yamaha fjr 1300
Old 02-19-2019, 08:04 AM   #9
Shuhboogie
and his limp member

Bike(s):
'73 CB350FOUR
'11 CBR250R (sold)
'14 Interceptor
'17 CRF250 Rally

Since you mentioned Harley in your original post I was thinking you are looking more for a cruiser than a sport touring.
My suggestion would be to look at the Honda Shadow, Suzuki Boulevard, or a Kawasaki Vulcan perhaps. My dad had a Vulcan several years ago and loved it.
I have the 2014 VFR800 Interceptor and as much as I love it my wrists start to hurt after riding a while. Other than the OEM bar risers I haven't found anything yet to change the ergo's to help with that issue.
You could also look at Adventure bikes if you like that style.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #10
Shuhboogie
and his limp member

Bike(s):
'73 CB350FOUR
'11 CBR250R (sold)
'14 Interceptor
'17 CRF250 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKoch View Post
So while I am discussing touring bikes - how long after you have been riding before you started letting someone ride with you. My wife for sure wants to ride as well - so hence the reason why I am also looking for something that would be comfortable for both myself and her to ride on. Inputs? Thanks to everyone who has responded!
I would think that will depend on how much YOU ride. Make sure you are comfortable and confident on the bike. If you only ride occasionally that will take longer.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #11
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2018 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2008 KTM 250 XC-F

Member Garage

Also look into the Adventure category. More capable than touring with out compromising comfort. They crash or drop way better than a touring bike with all those plastic fairings. Id recommend looking at the Honda Africa Twin....Ive had a lot of different genres of motorcycles and the adventure scene is by far my favorite and most versatile.

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #12
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Get your motorcycle endorsement if you don't already have it. Learn to ride before you put your wife in danger. Houston is a tough town for motorcycling. You have to practice offensive/defensive driving. Stay out of blind spots. Watch out behind you, people will hit you from behind because they are on their phones. If a car is approaching from a side street be prepared to stop. On the feeder highways people are liable to pull out into any of the 3 lanes. Most importantly look where you want to go. If you look at the ditch you will hit the ditch. Good luck.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
HoustonHD
wieners out!!!

Bike(s):
2010 HD Ultra classic (totaled thx to that sonofa****)
'73 HD FX choppa!

Harley's have the trouble with cost especially when you buy NEW. I bought my 2year old Ultra classic for half of what the first owner paid new. AND I got aftermarket exhaust, lots of add ons and only about 1500 miles on it. You just have to keep your eyes open and let someone else take the new hit.
HoustonHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #14
JustKoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
Get your motorcycle endorsement if you don't already have it. Learn to ride before you put your wife in danger. Houston is a tough town for motorcycling. You have to practice offensive/defensive driving. Stay out of blind spots. Watch out behind you, people will hit you from behind because they are on their phones. If a car is approaching from a side street be prepared to stop. On the feeder highways people are liable to pull out into any of the 3 lanes. Most importantly look where you want to go. If you look at the ditch you will hit the ditch. Good luck.

I have my motorcycle license already but taking a refresher course in 3 weeks. And I absolutely agree people here in Houston are nuts. I was hit from behind about a month and half ago on 59 N in slow moving traffic cuz she was on her phone. Drives me crazy. Thanks for the insight!
Liked this post:
Old 02-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #15
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
I would second getting an ADV bike like a V-Strom. They are very comfortable and don't get as banged up if you crash. Honestly I would ride often for at least a year. After a while things like emergency stops, the rear wheel stepping out, and running wide out of a corner don't bother you as much because you know what to do without even thinking about it. When you add a passenger it is somewhat harder to control a bike. Lot of risks that you don't even consider when you drive in a car like patches of gravel, cracks in the road, tar snakes, animals, people who can't see you, double yellow lines that are slick as ice when wet, headshake, and the list goes on. A momentary loss of traction is no big deal in a car. A momentary loss of traction when you are a new rider can put you down. So just take your time, don't rush it, and enjoy your new addiction.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #16
JustKoch

Thanks to all of you for your responses - so what are your thoughts for a Suzuki Boulevard C50T bike? I got to see one today, didn't feel too big felt pretty much right. (I did sit on a C90T and yes that felt too big of a bike for me) The C50T is 883 so not as powerful as some. Thoughts?

Thanks to everyone for your insights! It has been helpful!
Old 02-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #17
Shuhboogie
and his limp member

Bike(s):
'73 CB350FOUR
'11 CBR250R (sold)
'14 Interceptor
'17 CRF250 Rally

That's a good looking bike. I don't have any experience with one so I can't speak on any issues it may have. The Suzuki website said the 2019's are shaft drive. No chain to deal with. Curb weight says 644 lbs. Ouch. Then again the C90T says it's 800 lbs. So yeah, the C50T is a bit lighter.

I tell ya what, Buy two of them. I'll ride one for a while and then be able to give you better feedback on it.