MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2021, 09:49 AM   #21
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
GSXR 1137cc Frankendragster (SOLD)
various other oil-cooled Suzukis
lots of dirt bikes

Member Garage

I had extensive street riding experience going into my first track day over two years ago, so if anything I was more than ready to go fast and have fun. But track riding is quite a bit different, especially at MSRH where its totally flat and you really gotta indicate your braking zones and markers for where to start turning in. My biggest fear with riding at MSRH is how easily someone can slam into that wall coming out of the carousel, or the other wall at the end of that front stretch at the hairpin turn. I really focused on my lines and braking zones the first three quarters of the day before I felt like I had it down somewhat (it also rained that day which didn't help). I was also expecting the track surface to be decently good but I was wrong, I've ridden on streets with nicer pavement. But perhaps that's not such a bad thing. Track days in Texas are pretty expensive compared to other track days I've seen out of state, which are also less crowded. That should be incentive enough to not go down and screw up a 20-minute session for everyone else, lol. Riding without mirrors was a little nerve-wrecking at first but you get used to it. Experiment with tire pressure and suspension settings to see what works, it'll take a bit of time to really start trusting your tires.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CMRA Practice or Track Experience Trackday ? IPMAN Taking it to the Track 13 02-18-2019 11:58 AM
lets discuss the AFC standings Chris24 Sports 4 11-22-2009 08:40 PM
Lets discuss Ramius Off Topic 121 03-23-2006 12:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2021, 09:52 AM   #22
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000

It must take the patience of a saint to be a good TD instructor. I know mine were great.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2021, 10:27 AM   #23
classala
3-Lap Rider

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i
Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
Dave is doing this to promote his organization, which is totally understandable. It's a business so he needs to keep it relevant and fill the spots at his track days. You got a good thing going there too, maybe you could work with him on some content for mutual benefit.
Thanks. I've done that in 2018 and 2019, but have since switched my focus to support the community first-and-foremost.
classala is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #24
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i
Triumph Daytona 675

Found the video of my first track day (instructor's footage following me, and my comments added to it). Fun times.

classala is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #25
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
If anyone wants to see what "Thrown into the fire" looks like, here are a few laps from my very first trackday.

I'm the guy in black being filmed. Most on track were either what we would call level 2 all the way up to a few FAST CMRA racers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfMOO3CGArY
LMAO it took me a while to realize this is MSRH CCW!!! You're right chris you look hideous
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2021, 12:01 PM   #26
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Great idea for a thread and the responses already!

I remember first concerns were about passing tech . So rode down to watch a track day or might have even been a CMRA or CCS race at MSRH to get some in person opinions. Was worried about the amount of tread in my street tires .

Going to watch was helpful and something I would recommend as helps to see how day goes and things you may need to bring. I was also riding the bike to first several track days so needed to have that figured out and had my wife drive in car with some chairs and cooler.

On track first ohs’hit moment was hitting toe on a curb knocked my foot off the peg and took whole leg backwards. Was not fun but quick lesson on how to hold your feet!

Other first impression was hands going numb rayher quickly which meant holding on too tight to the bars. We were doing 30 min sessions back then and that gave lots of time to slowly build up pace which was nice but meant also needing to learn to use legs and not arms for holding on which was counter intuitive at first as well.

The other thing that group did I thought was helpful was a session without using any brakes. Just using engine to slow with down shifts.

This increased the level of corner entry speed quickly as were not doing more things other than focusing on the corner.

Next that was also helpful was a session where we would come down pitlane each lap and brake with a target ahead of us (actually was the instructor standing in the middle of road ! ).

The idea was we had to stop at without front of bike bobbing back up as close we could to but not hitting him. This was good at working on the way to brake progressively harder at first and then trail it off to a point of not upsetting the bike and hit a target. We would move are staring point closer each time which also taught braking markers and also brake releasing makers. Whether we knew it at that time or not we were getting that ground work.

After couple sessions spent in this way things unlocked rather quickly afterwards.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:33 PM   #27
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 (Race Bike)
2017 Honda Grom

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by proasian3 View Post
LMAO it took me a while to realize this is MSRH CCW!!! You're right chris you look hideous
Oh yeah? WHERE IS YOUR VIDEO?????
Old 01-06-2021, 06:09 PM   #28
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Oh yeah? WHERE IS YOUR VIDEO?????
Locked in a vault and threw away the key
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #29
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 (Race Bike)
2017 Honda Grom

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by proasian3 View Post
Locked in a vault and threw away the key
Old 01-07-2021, 04:19 AM   #30
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

BTW, I've seeing plenty crashes during the round-robin, for those who are ridding your bike to the TD
Nothing particular wrong with that, but it's like has been said before here... ridding track is a totally different thing from streets.
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-07-2021, 08:40 PM   #31
IPMAN
3:16 Trackdays Owner

Here is my first TD .. I wanted to get better at every aspect of riding .. I did.

On our web site www.316trackdays.com we sell rain insurance at events, I used a photo of my on slicks, in the rain at MSRH last year

Last year the deciding race for my F40 Novice Championship was because I can rode on slicks in the rain and not crash. It's not ideal but I can do it.

Cheers!

IPMAN
IPMAN -Owner and Operator 3:16 Trackdays
https://316trackdays.com

CMRA #316

John 3:16 "For So Loved the world that he gave is one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life"

2012 RSV4 Factory Race
2019 RSV$ 1100 Factory Street
Kawasaki Z125 - Pit
IPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #32
Seawall

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
09 YZF-R6 Track/Street
07 YZF-R6 Track
18 MT-09 Street

one of the riders from boba racers facebook group died riding his bike recently. like i said its dangerous riding in the street. and trackdays saves lives but it is a double edge sword. a lot of track riders transfer than fast confidence in the street and they get risky. you have to throw your ego out the door every time you ride.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:46 PM   #33
RustinR

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2007 Buell XB9SX
2005 Ducati 999R
1972 Kawasaki H2 Cafe Racer

My first track day was at Hallet Motor Speedway in Jennings, OK, on my Honda RC51. It was one of their 'Motor Lapping Days' track day events that's hosted by the staff at the track, rather than a dedicated track-day organization like we have here. A friend of mine from work who used to be a club racer in California recommended that I should find a smaller bike for my first track day event, specifically because, "You'll get on that 1000 and it will scare the out of you, then some kid on a 250 will fly around you on the outside and make you fell like an idiot." Unsurprisingly, he was mostly right. The exceptions being, although my bike didn't scare me, the track sure as did. At a tight 1.8 miles and 10 turns, most of which are off-camber and blind with Hallet's sharp-crested hills, the track was entertaining, but not at all beginner friendly! That, and the kid who blew past me on the outside like I was sitting there was actually on a Aprilia RS125, not a 250...so there was that.

Last edited by RustinR; 01-08-2021 at 06:51 PM.
RustinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post: