MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
joerako

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniv. Edition
2000 Honda Shadow Sabre

R6 not starting

So I have a very odd thing going on with this bike I just got. Guy at work laid it over 5-6 years ago and then parked it.

The bike did not have any major damage, minimal road rash on fairing, mainly broke rearset and clutch lever. Since it was so long ago he is unsure.

The original owner then parked it and didn't really ride it for a few months and when he went back out to ride it discovered rats made a home and chewed some wires. Fast forward 5 years and I started my new job and we talked about his bike and everything that happened, he decided to fix it up, bought new fuel pump, new wiring harness and replaced rearset and clutch lever. Then he got into a wreck in his car and bike sat again for 3 months, he pulled the cover off again and found rats had made a home again, he called me asked if I wanted to buy it and now here i am.

I installed the new fuel pump he purchased and spliced the wiring harness to like new condition again (I know bad idea but money is tight and it's only temporary to get her running and pinpoint issues) changed oil and filter, spark plugs, drained and refilled coolant, and new battery. Bike will crank, I can hear the pull pump kicking in and when I pull everything apart I can see that it's wet so I'm getting fuel. I can pull a plug and try to crank it and I get nothing. I am getting 2 codes, code 21 and 14 but nothing seems out of place, all wires are connected that I can see connections for. I say that as I have one connection under the tank that has one wire (assuming sensor) and I can't seem to find its other half. This is my first R6 and I'm slowly learning where all of the sensors are and things to check.

If anyone has any ideas on what I should look at to try and get this to crank up that would be great. I know sitting for so long isn't good but that's the shape I got her in. I have scoured the Internet and multiple forums trying to find an answer but to no avail. I did find that some wiring harnesses are not compatible with the ECU so I'm wondering if that is an issue? He is bringing me the old harness he removed tomorrow at work and I may splice and install that one for now but any help would be great.

The bike is a 2006 R6 50th Anniversary Edition

Thanks in advance and sorry about the long post just very frustrated.
joerako is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
r6 starting issues mekrew How To's and Q & A's 14 02-14-2015 08:59 AM
R6 starting problem JP15 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 04-23-2013 09:04 PM
R6 starting/idle problem JP15 How To's and Q & A's 1 04-23-2013 07:07 PM
Help with starting....01 R6 le14 How To's and Q & A's 7 03-09-2007 02:10 AM
Not Starting bigart General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 02-01-2007 04:14 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

did you google the codes?
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
BANDIT00085

R6 Service Manual Fault Code Table

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 - No normal signals are received from the cylinder identification sensor when the engine is started or while the vehicle is being driven.

12 - No normal signals are received from the cranshaft position sensor.

13 - Intake air pressure sensor: open or short circuit detected.

14 - Intake air pressure sensor: hose system malfunction (clogged or detached hose.)

15 - Throttle position sensor (for throttle valves): open or short circuit detected. Throttle position sensor (for throttle valves) coupler connection is loose.

17 - EXUP servo motor circuit: open or short circuit detected or loose connection.

18 - EXUP servo motor is stuck.

19 - Open circuit is detected in the input lead from the sidestand switch to the ECU.

20 - When the main switch is turned to "ON", the atmospheric pressure sensor voltage and intake air pressure sensor voltage differ greatly.

21 - Coolant temperature sensor: open or short circuit detected.

22 - Air temperature sensor: open or short circuit detected.

23 - Atmospheric pressure sensor: open or short circuit detected.

24 - No normal signal is received from the o2 sensor.

30 - Latch up detected. No normal signal is received from teh lean angle sensor.

33 - Open circuit detected in the primary lead of the cylinder #1 ignition coil.

34 - Open circuit detected in the primary lead of the cylinder #2 ignition coil.

35 - Open circuit detected in the primary lead of the cylinder #3 ignition coil.

36 - Open circuit detected in the primary lead of the cylinder #4 ignition coil.

39 - Open ciruit detected in a primary injector.

40 - Open circuit detected in a secondary injector.

41 - Lean angle sensor: open or short circuit detected.

42 - No normal signals are received from the speed sensor.
- Neutral switch: open or short circuit detected.

43 - Power supply to the injectors and the fuel pump is not normal.

44 - An error is detected while reading or writing on EE-PROM (CO adjustment value).

46 - Power supply is not normal.

50 - Faulty ECU memory. (When this malfunction is detected in teh ECU, the fault code number might not appear on the meter.)

59 - Throttle position sensor (for throttle cable pulley): open or short circuit detected. Throttle position sensor (for throttle cable pulley) coupler connection is loose.

60 - Throttle servo motor: open or short circuit detected. Defective throttle servo motor. Malfunction in ECU (servo motor driving system).

Er-1 - No signals are received from the ECU.

Er-2 - No signals are received from the ECU within the specified duration.

Er-3 - Data from teh ECU cannot be received correctly.

Er-4 - Non-registered data has been received from the meter.

there they all are. When something goes wrong with your bike and the fault number flashes across the lcd, you should find what you're looking for here.

2007 Yamaha R6

BANDIT00085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #4
joerako

Bike(s):
2000 Honda Shadow Sabre

I have cleared one code and have the parts on order for the other (14) I wouldn't think that it would stop the bike from getting spark but I could be wrong?

The mice really did a number on those vacuum lines so I had to order all the plastic pieces for them and will buy the hose locally and just cut to size as it would be cheaper.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
joerako

Bike(s):
2000 Honda Shadow Sabre

Update: I got the bike to start and everything is perfect. It turns out that the neutral switch cable was chewed through and the bike would not start with the kickstand down.

I put her on stands and put the stand up and after a couple tried to get gas flowing through everything she fired right up.

Advertisement