MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #1
Tailwinds15

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Yamaha XSR 700

New to Moto Houston!

Hello! Getting back into riding as of last week. Rode dirt bikes as a kid, got a 250 ninja at 15. Bike was stolen back in in 2014 and I stopped riding for a while. Went riding with my dad on his Harley street glide (he has a tri glide as well) and once again caught the bug. Just bought a brand new XSR 700 last week and have been enjoying it. Got the bike solely for enjoyment and fun rides on my off days. Any tips/suggestions for riders new to Houston area?
Tailwinds15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
S Moto Houston Biker Rally @Warehouse Houston CainRivera Events, Meets and Rides 31 08-22-2011 12:08 PM
S 8/20/11 ***MOTO HOUSTON BIKER RALLY AT WAREHOUSE HOUSTON*** yamaHANNIEL Events, Meets and Rides 6 08-17-2011 03:41 PM
★Moto Insurance, Moto-Houston.com t-shirts are in.. TnTEntR1 Moto Insurance 2 05-22-2011 01:11 AM
NEW TO MOTO HOUSTON jaZZyjR Introduction Forum 17 03-07-2010 11:13 PM
Moto Houston at MSR Houston Pics.... nateorona General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 07-10-2006 12:55 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwinds15 View Post
Any tips/suggestions for riders new to Houston area?
Yes, buy quality gear.
At a minimum a jacket (preferably with armor in the shoulders and elbows), helmet, gloves (preferably over the wrist, ask if you don't know why) and boots (preferably lace up or with a secure closure system, ask if you don't know why).

Then always wear them. I know it's hot but you'll cool off faster than you'll heal up.

And Welcome! Come out to a meet or join in Morganator for a ride!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
Tailwinds15

Bike(s):
Yamaha XSR 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
At a minimum a jacket (preferably with armor in the shoulders and elbows), helmet, gloves (preferably over the wrist, ask if you don't know why) and boots (preferably lace up or with a secure closure system, ask if you don't know why).
Have the jacket, helmet and gloves. Looking for good boots at the moment.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
Giraffapus
AKA 675R

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Aprilia Tuono RR 2018
Triumph Street Triple R 2015 (Sold)
Yamaha FZ6R 2015 (Sold fast)
Suzuki Katana 750 1990 (Sold)
Honda Twinstar 200 1980 (Sold)

Quote:
Have the jacket, helmet and gloves. Looking for good boots at the moment.
I like my TCX Heros. Good price at around 200. But of course it depends on how premium, or lack there of, your looking for.
Giraffapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
Tailwinds15

Bike(s):
Yamaha XSR 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by 675R View Post
I like my TCX Heros. Good price at around 200. But of course it depends on how premium, or lack there of, your looking for.
I'm actually looking at a couple of TCX boots. The TCX rush and TCX street aces. The aces definitely look good but it's definitely more of a riding sneaker. than boot I like the look of those heroes though. I may bite the bullet and grab those. Do they run pretty true to size?
Old 07-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #6
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
GSXR 1137cc Frankendragster (SOLD)
2002 Bandit 600 (SOLD)
lots of dirt bikes

Quote:
Any tips/suggestions for riders new to Houston area?
Welcome! And to add to this, a good tip here is to check the forecast before every long ride. Weather here can be very unpredictable. Cagers here are inconsiderate or flat out dont care about motorcyclists or their own bad driving habits, never get comfortable while riding in traffic, always be on the lookout and expect the worst to happen at all times and be prepared for it. With that said, there's some pretty nice riding on the west side of town away from people
Old 07-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
Giraffapus
AKA 675R

Bike(s):
Aprilia Tuono RR 2018

Quote:
I'm actually looking at a couple of TCX boots. The TCX rush and TCX street aces. The aces definitely look good but it's definitely more of a riding sneaker. than boot I like the look of those heroes though. I may bite the bullet and grab those. Do they run pretty true to size?
I have a pair of brown Street Aces too and I like them. Iíve only had them for about 3 weeks so I canít give you any details on long term wear or quality but Iím happy so far. Rode for 6hours on them one day and no complaints.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
Tailwinds15

Bike(s):
Yamaha XSR 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxerguy86 View Post
Welcome! And to add to this, a good tip here is to check the forecast before every long ride. Weather here can be very unpredictable. Cagers here are inconsiderate or flat out dont care about motorcyclists or their own bad driving habits, never get comfortable while riding in traffic, always be on the lookout and expect the worst to happen at all times and be prepared for it. With that said, there's some pretty nice riding on the west side of town away from people
Yes, now that I'm back on two wheels I'm remembering that constant on edge feeling that everyone is trying to kill me. Growing up in rural Dallas area definitely makes me miss those roads and that riding. I live in the Oak Forest area, any tips for close fun roads and which roads are safest to take to get out of Houston?
Old 07-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #9
Giraffapus
AKA 675R

Bike(s):
Aprilia Tuono RR 2018

Quote:
Yes, now that I'm back on two wheels I'm remembering that constant on edge feeling that everyone is trying to kill me. Growing up in rural Dallas area definitely makes me miss those roads and that riding. I live in the Oak Forest area, any tips for close fun roads and which roads are safest to take to get out of Houston?
check the Events,Meets and Rides section, and jump right in! Might not help you find a fun way out but will help you have fun after you get out.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:14 PM   #10
Tailwinds15

Bike(s):
Yamaha XSR 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by 675R View Post
I have a pair of brown Street Aces too and I like them. Iíve only had them for about 3 weeks so I canít give you any details on long term wear or quality but Iím happy so far. Rode for 6hours on them one day and no complaints.
I'm between the street aces, heroes, and x-squared. Do you think the street aces offer up enough protection?
Old 07-31-2018, 08:18 AM   #11
mcs92

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2014 Kawasaki KLX250S

Quote:
...and which roads are safest to take to get out of Houston?
I haven't been in your area in awhile but I'm pretty sure US-290 is a lot less terrifying than it used to be a few years ago due to completed construction in areas. Stick to HOV lanes when they're available to you. It'll keep you out of the clusterfuck in the main lanes.

If you're in doubt, do a dry run in your car and be sure to use the same set of eyes you'd use on the bike.
mcs92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:10 AM   #12
Tailwinds15

Bike(s):
Yamaha XSR 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcs92 View Post
I haven't been in your area in awhile but I'm pretty sure US-290 is a lot less terrifying than it used to be a few years ago due to completed construction in areas. Stick to HOV lanes when they're available to you. It'll keep you out of the clusterfuck in the main lanes.

If you're in doubt, do a dry run in your car and be sure to use the same set of eyes you'd use on the bike.
Yeah, 290 is what I've been using to get out. Really hasn't been too bad. I'm fortunate that I have odd work hours so I can get out during low traffic times and random weekends. I also don't commute on this motorcycle so I don't ever have to take the bike.

Advertisement