MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

'99 DR350SE Resurrection Thread

As I'm in an office job now I have more free time to wander the interwebs, so I found myself in my old stomping grounds of ADV Rider. This forum is an excellent source of information but beyond that some of the ride reports are indescribable. In particular I found the thread linked below which details a mans trip around the world for an unforeseen amount of time. I am a photographer at heart, and the photos this man provides are unbelievable. If you need to kill some time or are looking for some wanderlust motivation this will do it.

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...sible.1111160/

So along with Solracers comments that we need more build threads and my own desire to do more dual sporting and one day wander the globe on a motorcycle. I decided to dig this bike out of the garage and get it legal again.

Back Story:
I bought this bike when I was 24 after I sold my Honda Prelude as I knew I wanted a dual sport to search out new trails and riding spots in the area. I picked up the bike for $2350 from a nice lady in the memorial area. I happily rode the bike for 2-3 years and then started having kids and a more professional career and it was merely a beer run and occasional play bike. So

So now ten years later, 34 years old, two mortgages, three kids and multiple jobs I am ready to get this thing back on the road and do some upgrades. It was always a very capable bike off road on single track, mud holes, bayous and pretty much anywhere I pointed it.

In 2016 Magicman did an clutch job and carb clean and I rode it for a few weeks before it got a flat rear and dead battery, so it was foolishly parked.

Here it is in a sad state, sleeping the long sleep in my garage.

Looking a little more promising.

And isn't this depressing.

So lets get this naked.

So I have purchased and obtained an OEM fuel petcock from Bill at Cycle Shack who always gives out the MH discount, a new CH9Ek spark plug and an 18" tube to the tune of $109.

My initial attempt to use a cheap non vacuum petcock failed, so I figured I would go back to OEM and let the carb suck its own fuel out of the tank.

Carb is now apart, so the next post will update progress.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1999 Suzuki DR350SE - Street Legal TomballD Motorcycles For Sale 28 04-07-2014 05:20 PM
Let the resurrection begin BaoPee General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 10-08-2012 08:42 AM
Resurrection of the 2005 r6 yamaR6281 General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 03-11-2011 08:12 AM
Happy Resurrection Day! rideForrestride Off Topic 11 04-12-2009 01:30 PM
Happy Resurrection Day! TxBritt08R1 Off Topic 7 03-23-2008 05:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

So heres a video where I almost died on the DR

And proof that it once ran

And a lap
Old 03-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2002 Yamaha WR250
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

I approve of this thread.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
BD#270

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-10R race bike
2016 Honda Grom
KTM 65 Motard
TTR BBR 153

Send a message via AIM to BD#270
Nice meeting you the other day, let me know if you need anything else to get her going again.
BD#270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

So i got the bike fired up after adjusting the float level. It was a little low and the tang (not to be confused with poontang) had a curve to it. So I flattened it out and raised it a little. Now it seems to be running rather rich as its popping ALOT on deceleration. I think I will re assess the float height and also need to check for air leaks around the intake connections. Getting the intake boot back on the carb body and airbox on this thing is a . I've found that heating the intake boot in the oven on 150F for a few minutes makes it more malleable, but it still ends up in a cursing match and a few raw fingers (kinda like good ). I'm almost considering putting an after market pod filter and bigger jet just so I dont have to with this air boot....
Old 03-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!

Bike(s):
A Few

How you to sort a bike with so much sexual tension?

Congrats on getting it started, downhill slide now!

MH Member: "The hate group quit posting because of you".
Me: Hold my beer...
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
So i got the bike fired up after adjusting the float level. It was a little low and the tang (not to be confused with poontang) had a curve to it. So I flattened it out and raised it a little. Now it seems to be running rather rich as its popping ALOT on deceleration. I think I will re assess the float height and also need to check for air leaks around the intake connections. Getting the intake boot back on the carb body and airbox on this thing is a . I've found that heating the intake boot in the oven on 150F for a few minutes makes it more malleable, but it still ends up in a cursing match and a few raw fingers (kinda like good ). I'm almost considering putting an after market pod filter and bigger jet just so I dont have to with this air boot....
Iíve read soaking it in wintergreen Oil softens it up.
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
Iíve read soaking it in wintergreen Oil softens it up.
I'll look into that. So after some research,popping on decel appears to be more indicative of a lean condition.

Chad you have with these carbs alot, are you thinking the issue is related to the float height or an air leak on the intake side. It is having a rough time idling and has a stutter at mid range, but low and high RPM seem to run right on. Will only start with choke on as well and take a while to fire.

New vacuum petcock and carb is very clean. This thing really is a pain in the .
Old 03-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #9
JetBuilt
Repeat Offender

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Send a message via AIM to JetBuilt
Almost every carb'd bike I ever rode would pop on deceleration if you rode it hard enough...why are you sweating this?
Old 03-22-2018, 04:58 PM   #10
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
Almost every carb'd bike I ever rode would pop on deceleration if you rode it hard enough...why are you sweating this?
It's more of the bog in mid range that and failure to idle that's me off, I'm gonna give the float height one more adjustment and see if that cures it. I know it needs a battery too so the voltage draw on idle could be killing it. It starts much easier on a jump ( car not running of course).
TomballD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:46 PM   #11
FoxRider
Thumpitty thump

Bike(s):
1998 DR 650
2015 Honda Grom
2008 Pitster Pro 150 SM

1984 Suburban

I have a massive pile of DR650 parts. If you think you need some, gimme a buzz.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRider View Post
I have a massive pile of DR650 parts. If you think you need some, gimme a buzz.
For sure! Let me make a list

So I pulled the carb again and adjusted the float a smidge now it wont fire. I believe I forgot to let the needle seat back in its port and the slide is stuck open, so off comes the carb again.

And when I mean it was popping last time I rode it , I meant to say backfiring like a shotgun, not your standard fuel burn off popping.

Advertisement