MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
A Few

XR-70/CRF-70 Motard Conversion: Changing to 12Ē Front from Stock 14Ē

Started this journey a couple years ago and this proved to be the most expensive part of prepping the bike.

I was quoted over $700 bucks for a proper wheel and tire package. Way to rich for my blood.

Found a $50 dollar 12Ē wheel off of eBay. The rim looked great but was a Chinese knockoff for a CRF-50 setup. After some grinding and altering (brakes) it did fit on the XR-70, however the brakes barely worked.

Well my boy started throwing down some hot laps in practice and no way with a clear conscious could I let him bump bar ends in a real race without proper brakes.

So here it goes. But be prepared for some serious time, sweat, and work! I purchased a CRF-70 rear hoop off of eBay for this project.

Step one: Take off that knobbie!

Get your spoke wrench and the square bit installed in screwdriver/drill.

Prepare for the real fun.

Tap & Die kit, oil, and dremel with cut off wheel.

Cut long side spokes to 5 5/16 (tcould probably go another 1/8th shorter)

Cut short side spokes to 4 1/2 (could also go another 1/8th shorter)

I used a 6/32 die to rethread the spokes.

Then a 6/32 tap and redo the nipples.

Iím not sure what crazy threads Honda uses but my ole trusty Harbor Frieght metric/sae kit would not match up.

Install spokes. Donít install into the hoop until all spokes are in the hub on each side.

Loose lace.

Time to true.

I followed a utube video. The zip tie gauge was within 2mm each axis. Not bad for a noob.

Hide the kids. These stiff Dunlopís are a PIA. Some strong language might of been thrown around.

Track day in Katy tomorrow. Canít wait to see how the kids perform![IMG][/IMG]

MH Member: "The hate group quit posting because of you".
Me: Hold my beer...
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motard conversion chet Super Motards 6 03-10-2016 05:48 PM
MX to motard conversion ?s ZR1 Super Motards 11 01-21-2014 08:22 AM
Motard conversion ? the_laydown Super Motards 27 05-09-2012 12:32 PM
Changing stock sprocket 06 GSX-R 600 DR91LX How To's and Q & A's 1 07-08-2011 02:24 AM
want to trade stock sprocket and front rotors for stock brake T.Jones Want To Buy or Trade 0 12-02-2008 10:59 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Wow props on doing it the hard way. Did you price Buchanan spokes? I think I popped 3 tubes my first 12 " street tire swap, all that.

Just saw your message about the Katy track , I don't check in here on the weekends or I might have gone. Guess I need to get the bike sorted first anyways.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!

Bike(s):
A Few

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
Wow props on doing it the hard way. Did you price Buchanan spokes? I think I popped 3 tubes my first 12 " street tire swap, all that.

Just saw your message about the Katy track , I don't check in here on the weekends or I might have gone. Guess I need to get the bike sorted first anyways.
Buchanan spokes are in the excesse of $100 bucks. Plus they couldnít tell me the length I needed without sending in the hub and hoop. Way to much time, effort and money. To put it frank I was quite surprised they didnít have a kit. Especially since Iím not the first person to do this. So I went at it my own way and published my results for FREE to help others.

Luckily I have kids who are interested and helped out. What teenager doesnít like cutting with a Dremel? My smaller boys got a kick out of making new threads. Plus, I knew if I boogeríd it up Magicman would of helped me out.

We rode the little 70 hard all day yesterday without issues. , the bike even pulled my fat gut around. Thus far no tube issues.

With that being said, bring a wheel over disassembled. If you donít mind my rookie 2/3mm tolerance Iíll get you sorted. Perhaps you know more about carbs than I. Both my CRF-50 (stock) and XR-70 (not stock) are sucking some serious gas.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

I have definitely spent some time with these little carbs. If they aren't leaking and seem to be running well I would be surprised to know they are using excess fuel. Post up a pic of that 70 with the 12's on it! I wonder if I could just swap the street tires I have on my fiddy right to the 70, I bet the 10" would be way to small.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!

Bike(s):
A Few

This kid is getting good!

Bike #2 is sorted.

Awaiting parts for #3!

MH Member: "The hate group quit posting because of you".
Me: Hold my beer...
Old 02-07-2018, 09:00 AM   #6
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

What did you decide on the leathers? The more I think about it, I already have a CRF50 with street tires on 10" rims, it might just make more sense to upgrade the suspension and brakes a little on that and safety wire it and let my boy ride that and leave the 70 in dirt trim. It has just been rode hard and put away wet by myself so its a little rough, needs forks rebuilt and brakes adjusted, plus it has the big bar kit on it, not sure if I still have the stock handle bars or not, but I supposed I could put some small pro taper bars on it for him, I'll ponder that for a bit.

What did you decide on the leathers?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #7
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!

Bike(s):
A Few

If the 50 ainít leaking I wouldn't do any work to it if it is all functionable. Iíve got a mini drill press and can safety wire it for you in minutes. Make sure he likes roadracing before throwing money around.

As for leathers I found a phenomenal deal on a boot/glove/leather package from a lady in California.

Yesterday I was offered another deal on leathers which will complete all my kids being setup.

Depending if I get a age waiver, I might have an extra set of leathers you can borrow. Iím awaiting a reply from TMGP.

There is a guy in Dallas that has offered me three sets of leathers for $400 bucks. If I can get someone to go halfís Iíll purchase them. Iíve got a few friends and neighbors with kids that want to try TMGP without making that huge financial commitment. So Iím sure I can sell them quickly and get my money back.

Oh yea, make sure you find your son a back protector. And decent gloves.

Advertisement