MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
rccarlson22

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Infringement of Freedom of Speech, or whiny little girl?

Iím going with the latter, you agreed beforehand to stick to the script and you failed.

GTFO hope Stanford withdraws your acceptance
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taylor Swift hit with copyright infringement lawsuit NewsBot Entertainment 0 11-02-2015 12:40 PM
Obama Cracks Down on Freedom of Speech pinball The Circus 5 02-19-2013 03:37 PM
America's way to Take down the Freedom of Speech. Rykoson The Circus 43 12-05-2011 09:18 AM
Refresh my memory about freedom of speech and Islam mathews The Circus 30 09-19-2010 07:08 PM
Red flag infringement !! Grinchy Taking it to the Track 16 03-15-2008 12:26 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

If this is the petaluma california grad you are talking about, not enough of the story is being told to know if she has a legitimate concern or not...and the reason cited is the right of students to privacy, the whole minor thing...she says not enough was done about her sexual assault she reported last year...so we do not know if she has a legitimate beef or not...the question would be if she was and nothing was done...and she tried to talk to the right folks and still could not get anything done....would you stop? I do wonder if she was actually assaulted or not, it does not seem she has the support of fellow students..but is that because nothing happened or because who ever assaulted her is a popular student and no one cares much for her...who knows...
she must have said something because she was warned not to deviate or her mic would be turned off... maybe she knew that if she would not agree she would not be allowed on the platform, so she decided to agree and then deviate knowing her mic would be turned off but also knowing that would draw some media attention...
Old 06-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
rccarlson22

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
If this is the petaluma california grad you are talking about, not enough of the story is being told to know if she has a legitimate concern or not...and the reason cited is the right of students to privacy, the whole minor thing...she says not enough was done about her sexual assault she reported last year...so we do not know if she has a legitimate beef or not...the question would be if she was and nothing was done...and she tried to talk to the right folks and still could not get anything done....would you stop? I do wonder if she was actually assaulted or not, it does not seem she has the support of fellow students..but is that because nothing happened or because who ever assaulted her is a popular student and no one cares much for her...who knows...
she must have said something because she was warned not to deviate or her mic would be turned off... maybe she knew that if she would not agree she would not be allowed on the platform, so she decided to agree and then deviate knowing her mic would be turned off but also knowing that would draw some media attention...

Yes thatís her.

I havenít read into her allegations on the sexual assault.

Regardless of the legitimacy of her allegations, it is common practice for school admins to review speeches and approve them. And itís also common practice to warn them that deviation from the speech will get the mic cut and sometimes loss of awards etc...

She gave up her freedom of speech when she agreed to a pre-approved script. If she wants to raise awareness she can speak right outside the campus when everyoneís on their way out
Liked this post:
Old 06-12-2018, 06:00 AM   #4
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

common practice does not make something right. Authority figures, governments, administrations, have a habit of making common practice of suppressing anything that exposes their short comings...either she agreed (whether she had any intentions of keeping that agreement or not) or she lost her platform...say things those in charge want folks to hear or you do not get to speak, you are not allowed to expose corruption.
She accomplished what she wanted, she got her story out...now the whole country knows about it, not just the students and their families that she wanted to address...
Old 06-12-2018, 07:23 AM   #5
rccarlson22

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Quote:
common practice does not make something right. Authority figures, governments, administrations, have a habit of making common practice of suppressing anything that exposes their short comings...either she agreed (whether she had any intentions of keeping that agreement or not) or she lost her platform...say things those in charge want folks to hear or you do not get to speak, you are not allowed to expose corruption.
She accomplished what she wanted, she got her story out...now the whole country knows about it, not just the students and their families that she wanted to address...

I never said common practice made something right, I was just pointing out the fact that this is not an isolated scenario where the script is pre approved and agreed upon.

They have every right to cut her mic if she deviates from the script, if she needs to expose wrongdoings and corruption she could have done that at a more appropriate time and venue. Other students and their families are not there for controversy and debates, theyíre celebrating and taking photos to memorialize the ceremony. If her classmates wanted to use their time and attendance on her issues they would have attended her speech outside the graduation.

But at the end of the day, both parties had an agreement which she broke and she faced the consequences for it.

Yeah her story is out and much more popular than it would have been originally, but I imagine this will taint her adult life to some extent.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #6
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I do not figure it will affect her future at all...
I am not saying that I support her, or that she is correct in her accusations..
The school does have every right to do what they did...but then again, IMO, so did she...
she evaluated the circumstances, evaluated the importance of what she had to say
(importance to her) and went with it..
if something was important enough to me, I would do the same...
over time, only she can decide if what she did was the right thing for her...

in reality, how many of us, all these years after HS graduation remember very much about that day...how important is it to us today...50 years after my graduation I don't remember much, not even sure I would know anyone I graduated with if they were standing next to me at a public event.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #7
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I wonder how many of us even remember who gave that speech at our graduation, much less what it was they had to say.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #8
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

Quote:
I wonder how many of us even remember who gave that speech at our graduation, much less what it was they had to say.
This^
Old 06-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #9
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Don't you suppose you would remember if they had stood up and made some controversial statements that wound up overshadowing what the day meant to you and your family?
If the valedictorian had said things that brought huge, nationwide media attention to your graduation and none of it had anything to do with you or your fellow students, maybe even things were said that went against how you felt, you'd remember and not fondly.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #10
upononer6

Bike(s):
2004 yamaha r6
2000 Honda XR50

Time and place. That was not the time nor the place. Better ways to get the message put than to ruin a big day for the other classmates.
upononer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #11
Kevin7909

The editorial I read stated that "people in the audience began to yell "let her speak!"." It would seem that at least some of the attendees thought it was fine.

Whether I agree with her timing or not, I respect that she had the courage to do what she thought was right. I also believe that she probably knew the potential consequences at the time. This is the type of student Stanford should want if she is indeed being honest.

It was mentioned above that she broke the agreement. I believe every student should be safe and protected at school, and if those in leadership positions really did overlook the assault (assuming it did happen), then I would argue they broke the agreement first.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/09/61856...sexual-assault
Kevin7909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #12
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Don't you suppose you would remember if they had stood up and made some controversial statements that wound up overshadowing what the day meant to you and your family?
If the valedictorian had said things that brought huge, nationwide media attention to your graduation and none of it had anything to do with you or your fellow students, maybe even things were said that went against how you felt, you'd remember and not fondly.
If you read what the girl was saying, it had nothing to do with politics and it was about something would directly affect students in that school and the environment that would affect education...there is nothing controversial about sexual assault or the ignoring of it...as to speeches of this nature, not sure why they even have them, usually they are important to less than a couple dozen people, most of the class could give a about it... the only ones who usually care are the student giving it, the students parents and grandparent and maybe (maybe not) the students siblings...overshadow the occasion... who actually gives a about a HS diploma in today's society, it means virtually nothing a few days after it is over...if national attention was brought to this one, it was not the girl who did it, it was the stupidity of those who tried to stop her... if they had let her say what she wanted to say, no one would have really paid any attention to it, she would not have attracted national attention and we would not be talking about it here in the Houston area...their stupidity or self protection mode here, makes me think that maybe the girl was right.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #13
Repth
literally can't even

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by upononer6 View Post
Time and place. That was not the time nor the place. Better ways to get the message put than to ruin a big day for the other classmates.
You know what would probably ruin a big day for the other classmates? Getting raped and having it brushed under the rug. I highly doubt she made the speech for the sole reason of making herself feel better for blasting the school. I think it's more likely that she made a very difficult decision to make the speech, knowing that it would not be well received, for the sake of students to come.
Originally Posted by DvlRacer
Meh, I agree with his OP
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #14
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
You know what would probably ruin a big day for the other classmates? Getting raped and having it brushed under the rug. I highly doubt she made the speech for the sole reason of making herself feel better for blasting the school. I think it's more likely that she made a very difficult decision to make the speech, knowing that it would not be well received, for the sake of students to come.
She was raped?
I saw she made a claim of sexual assault which can include rape but can be a lot of other too.

Also her complaint was the district didn't do enough to protect her but i haven't seen any specifics about what that means.

Her fellow students felt that it was supposed to have been a celebration of achieving a milestone and she turned it into an opportunity to make a personal statement about her issue.

Finally the district maintains that is a police matter and out of their control.

I don't see much room for her to be "right" in using the time and place the way she did. I also don't see that what she did will be effective, in the long run, to bring changes that will help future students.

I do see that she achieved her 15 minutes of fame and will likely fade back to the obscurity from which she came, having made little or no difference.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Liked this post:
Old 06-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #15
Repth
literally can't even

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
She was raped?
I saw she made a claim of sexual assault which can include rape but can be a lot of other too.

Also her complaint was the district didn't do enough to protect her but i haven't seen any specifics about what that means.

Her fellow students felt that it was supposed to have been a celebration of achieving a milestone and she turned it into an opportunity to make a personal statement about her issue.

Finally the district maintains that is a police matter and out of their control.

I don't see much room for her to be "right" in using the time and place the way she did. I also don't see that what she did will be effective, in the long run, to bring changes that will help future students.

I do see that she achieved her 15 minutes of fame and will likely fade back to the obscurity from which she came, having made little or no difference.
I sure doubt that what she did made little to no difference. Someone is gonna be looking at this under a microscope now. If I was the district I'd be saying it was a police matter no matter what. ESPECIALLY if it was possibly due to negligence. If the school is harboring an unsafe environment for the students, then it's not "her issue" she's airing out but a potential issue for all future students.

Now, I sure as don't know the story. Maybe none of it happened. Maybe it did happen and the school couldn't have possibly done anything about it. Maybe the school did act on it but just "not enough" in her determination. I dunno. So I won't judge her actions
Originally Posted by DvlRacer
Meh, I agree with his OP
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #16
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I sure doubt that what she did made little to no difference. Someone is gonna be looking at this under a microscope now. If I was the district I'd be saying it was a police matter no matter what. ESPECIALLY if it was possibly due to negligence. If the school is harboring an unsafe environment for the students, then it's not "her issue" she's airing out but a potential issue for all future students.

Now, I sure as don't know the story. Maybe none of it happened. Maybe it did happen and the school couldn't have possibly done anything about it. Maybe the school did act on it but just "not enough" in her determination. I dunno. So I won't judge her actions
So I guess where we differ is that you, by not judging her actions, are coming down in favor of what she did. Implying that it's ok to say or do whatever you want, without having to show just cause because we shouldn't judge the actions of someone.
I, on the other hand, believe that, if you are going to do something dramatic to bring attention to yourself at the possible discomfort of those around you, had better well have your ducks in a row and can defend you actions.

So far, all I have seen is, she made a claim, didn't like the response and turned to using public accusations against the people running the show and got told to sit down and shut up.
I have seen no follow up claim to support that her actions were justified and by now, I think it's fair to assume that if she was right, we would have heard about school board members getting in trouble for not protecting students.

As you say, the scrutiny must be more intense than ever so, why aren't there terminations and arrests happening?
Bevo- "I lack skillz"

Advertisement