MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #1
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1994 Honda Shadow VLX600
FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper - SOLD
1964 Tote Gote - SOLD
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Question Group rides...

This could be a touchy subject and I don't want anyone calling anyone out on this thread. I just want opinions and thoughts.

I've spent a lot of time riding, doing group rides, buddy rides, and then watching a ton of YouTube during this pandemic. I have experienced and watched on YT people riding way beyond their comfort level... and partly I feel, it's due to pressure and mostly ego.

With that being said, I was on one particular group ride recently that I didn't quite enjoy much. The group leader kept encouraging us to ride faster and keep up with the pack. He even dropped behind us to "push" us to go faster by riding on our tails. I wanted to quit right then, but I knew we were close to our first break and I wanted to inform him that he was not right for his actions AND give the other slower riders a chance to bail out as well.

We got to our first break, luckily with no wrecks and I let him know how uncomfortable I was about the pressure. He started to tell me I was free to ride my own ride, but I stopped him and told him that HE was the reason why no one could ride their own ride. Words were exchanged and the group disbanded.

I like what has transpired here on MH, with the rides. Different levels and clear expectations. That should be the norm everywhere. Props to Morg

So with this story laid out, do y'all think group ride leaders (coordinators), should be held accountable for their rides?

I've always ridden my own rides and never let pressure dictate my speed. But this one time, I felt it and I played into the band. I actually had a near miss event too, which prompted me to write this up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Group Rides?... The Morganator Car Forum 25 11-24-2016 05:21 AM
Group Rides ddun General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-01-2011 07:03 PM
New group dedicated to twisty road group rides for beginner to intermediate riders djtrancendance Events, Meets and Rides 56 10-21-2009 02:52 PM
Group forest rides... Hooligan Events, Meets and Rides 143 06-24-2008 08:16 PM
newb group rides rick Events, Meets and Rides 69 07-25-2007 07:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
The Morganator

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Nope!!!...hi Flip
Old 07-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
Razorrandy81

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2015 Ninja 1000 abs

I agree with you. I think the leader should try to have a safe ride. Yes we all hopefully ride at our own skill level but if someone is pushing you to keep up with other people, that's extra pressure and likely for a mistake. I haven't been on many group rides but the one with Morgan a few weeks ago if how I would lead. Clear identification of what and where we are going, some warnings and advice. Then checking on people and waiting the extra 3 seconds for them to keep up at the next stop.
Razorrandy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
The Morganator

Bike(s):
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorrandy81 View Post
I agree with you. I think the leader should try to have a safe ride. Yes we all hopefully ride at our own skill level but if someone is pushing you to keep up with other people, that's extra pressure and likely for a mistake. I haven't been on many group rides but the one with Morgan a few weeks ago if how I would lead. Clear identification of what and where we are going, some warnings and advice. Then checking on people and waiting the extra 3 seconds for them to keep up at the next stop.
I approve this message.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
upononer6

Bike(s):
2004 yamaha r6
2000 Honda XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
This could be a touchy subject and I don't want anyone calling anyone out on this thread. I just want opinions and thoughts.

I've spent a lot of time riding, doing group rides, buddy rides, and then watching a ton of YouTube during this pandemic. I have experienced and watched on YT people riding way beyond their comfort level... and partly I feel, it's due to pressure and mostly ego.

With that being said, I was on one particular group ride recently that I didn't quite enjoy much. The group leader kept encouraging us to ride faster and keep up with the pack. He even dropped behind us to "push" us to go faster by riding on our tails. I wanted to quit right then, but I knew we were close to our first break and I wanted to inform him that he was not right for his actions AND give the other slower riders a chance to bail out as well.

We got to our first break, luckily with no wrecks and I let him know how uncomfortable I was about the pressure. He started to tell me I was free to ride my own ride, but I stopped him and told him that HE was the reason why no one could ride their own ride. Words were exchanged and the group disbanded.

I like what has transpired here on MH, with the rides. Different levels and clear expectations. That should be the norm everywhere. Props to Morg

So with this story laid out, do y'all think group ride leaders (coordinators), should be held accountable for their rides?

I've always ridden my own rides and never let pressure dictate my speed. But this one time, I felt it and I played into the band. I actually had a near miss event too, which prompted me to write this up.
When I used to ride with 20 to 30 people to ASI every Wednesday night we would all pretty much ride together amd if we had a slower member, we rode slower. Granted that wasn't a curvy ride, but we enjoyed riding in a group. When you ride out of your comfort zone you risk alot.. including fellow riders. Unfortunately there's always that person that thinks they are the best rider in the bunch and inevitably they are the ones to go down. We tried to ride with the 610 crew 1 night and when I saw the speeds that these guys were doing I knew I was out of my league. Especially with a 62 tooth sprocket on an R6 haha. Ive always been good at riding my own pace which was most of the time in the parking lots, but to answer the question. No I do not believe the ride leader is responsible. When you sign up or agree to ride its expected that you can ride within your limits and will be responsible enough to not put yourself or fellow riders at risk. I used to do the group rides before my accident and after seeing how careless people I didn't even know where I decided random groups weren't for me. I have seen too many people go down on rides due to inexperience or just flat out carelessness.

Last edited by upononer6; 07-02-2020 at 04:30 PM.
upononer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2017 Honda Grom
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

RIDE LEADERS ARE NOT AND SHOULD NEVER BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE OTHER RIDERS.

However, if you notice a leader, leading an unsafe ride, I wouldn't ride with them. Find another group.

As a ride leader I know I might "let it all hang out" depending on the crowd, but I NEVER want to see anyone crash or get hurt. What I AM looking for is consistency and a good meld of like-talent riders who want to have fun and come home safe.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #7
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1994 Honda Shadow VLX600
FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper - SOLD
1964 Tote Gote - SOLD
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
I respect everyone's comments here and commend you guys on hosting successful rides.

I have to say, you are taking responsibility without knowing it, by being responsible and laying out the rules and expectations. That's being a good leader. There are people out there creating group rides and are not transparent about the nature of the ride. Then surprise! Numb nut group leader is booking it down the freeway with a hand full of noobs, that originally thought they were going to learn how to slowly get use to their new hobby... Now they are playing catch up and riding out of their comfort levels. It's a common issue everywhere, so how do we bring awareness to this, so it doesn't happen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #8
The Morganator

Bike(s):
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
I respect everyone's comments here and commend you guys on hosting successful rides.

I have to say, you are taking responsibility without knowing it, by being responsible and laying out the rules and expectations. That's being a good leader. There are people out there creating group rides and are not transparent about the nature of the ride. Then surprise! Numb nut group leader is booking it down the freeway with a hand full of noobs, that originally thought they were going to learn how to slowly get use to their new hobby... Now they are playing catch up and riding out of their comfort levels. It's a common issue everywhere, so how do we bring awareness to this, so it doesn't happen?
When i first started riding curvy roads i had little experience. I went on some group rides exactly like your stating. I chose to leave before something bad happened. Theres nothing saying you have to stay except your ego. I decided my ego wouldnt save me from wrecking if i stayed. I decided to be a leader from then on just to hopefully prevent those types of rides from happening. Iím by far not the perfect leader and we have had our fair share of accidents but overall being crotch rocket riders we are generally safe.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:51 PM   #9
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

Anytime there is a new rider to the usual group, extra attention must be paid to the new riders riding capabilities and habits. Constant reassurance to the new rider to focus on relaxing and enjoying the ride is very important. They already feel out of place as a pack animal and then don't know what to expect from the group.

But what the OP said about being treated like cattle and hounded to pick up the pace is pretty shitty. I would rather leave the slower rider bihind for a bit with the sweeper than hound their to pick up the pace.

This one time at band camp... i mean the hill country ride i felt hounded by this fast douchebag on a black R1...

The end
Liked this post:
Old 07-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #10
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2017 Honda Grom
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad View Post
Anytime there is a new rider to the usual group, extra attention must be paid to the new riders riding capabilities and habits. Constant reassurance to the new rider to focus on relaxing and enjoying the ride is very important. They already feel out of place as a pack animal and then don't know what to expect from the group.

But what the OP said about being treated like cattle and hounded to pick up the pace is pretty shitty. I would rather leave the slower rider bihind for a bit with the sweeper than hound their to pick up the pace.

This one time at band camp... i mean the hill country ride i felt hounded by this fast douchebag on a black R1...

The end
I had to pee.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #11
SysKnight

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
BMW S1000rr
Triumph 675r
Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
I had to pee.
You scare me...
SysKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #12
The Morganator

Bike(s):
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad View Post

The end
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
I had to pee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SysKnight View Post
You scare me...
I approve these messages...
Old 07-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #13
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .