MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #1
SouthernFZ09

Feedback Rating: (0)

Let's talk suspension

So I'm wanting to upgrade my suspension, however I haven't a clue where to start. Newer street rider and this is my first sport bike. It's a '16 FZ 09 and I've read and heard the suspension leaves a lot to be desired. Being a noob, I don't know any better and am having fun in the group rides. However as my confidence grows and I push myself a tad more I'd like to get it setup for me.

My riding is about 50/50, commuting and back road twisties. I'm weighing in around 215ish. Question is, if for $$$ sakes I split it up, should I do forks or rear shock first? Is there a place local? Can I just buy new springs for the stock forks and drop them in with new oil? Or should I buy all new forks? Do I just buy a rear shock that's sprung for my weight? Do I need/want a rear shock that has the extra reservoir? School me up please. Any and all advise is appreciated. Thanks.
SouthernFZ09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Let's talk about ABS nilnwahs Taking it to the Track 18 05-28-2013 06:57 PM
talk amongst yourselves Chubby Racer Off Topic 14 02-25-2009 04:19 PM
It's not that I don't want to talk BigComfy Off Topic 11 09-02-2008 06:12 PM
Talk about a Bad Day sillywabbit Off Topic 11 07-14-2007 10:15 PM
I have something to talk about now. Denee General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 09-11-2006 08:20 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #2
ninenine
cmra expert#99

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2018 YZF-R6
2017 YZF-R3

Check out p1racing. Located in Tomball and has a wealth of knowledge he can share with you to get you going in the right direction.

His name is John and the phone to his shop is 281-255-6004.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:Ready Garage,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Moul, Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Superbike Unlimited, CoreMoto, Alpinestars, BlueCru, Armour Bodies, RES
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-10-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

I canít say much about what to make but would suggest going to the next track day and taking to Roger. He is the suspension guy who will set up your bike for your weight and skill level. For $40 he will make adjustments throughout the day and give you advice on what makes sense next once reach a hardware limit. That said more times than not an adjustments tailored to you on otherwise stock stuff does the trick. Next track day with them is June 6 at MSRH, suggest riding down and seeing whatís it all about.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #4
SouthernFZ09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninenine View Post
Check out p1racing. Located in Tomball and has a wealth of knowledge he can share with you to get you going in the right direction.

Nice, that's in my backyard. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:15 AM   #5
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
15 GROM
17 FZ10

Do you feel suspension is limiting your riding? Since you a newer rider, save your money for now, do a track day or two and see what limits are on your suspension. I am not the fastest out there and bounce between intermediate and fast group depending on how I feel. But I've been riding for long time and did many track days and raced a while back and each time I pick up a new bike, I'll ride it for a while on street and track with stock suspension. I will change as I need, but only after I do proper adjustments (Roger is good source) not just because it's something to do and spend money on. But if you have to, 2nd step (after adjustments) would be to get the bike properly sprung, then work on others.

Look, Guintoli has put up bunch of Youtube videos recently - dude is former SBK champion and MotoGP test rider and rides GSXR 1000 with stock suspension on his videos.
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #6
Miloman

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
Ducati desmosedici RR (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
Look, Guintoli has put up bunch of Youtube videos recently - dude is former SBK champion and MotoGP test rider and rides GSXR 1000 with stock suspension on his videos.
He is a beast on that stock form 1000 with lap times only running a few seconds slower than his racebike. In one of his earlier vids he accidentally says the dyno numbers on his sbk racebike ( just shy of 300hp on a loaded dyno )
Miloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Yeah dude, get your stock suspension set up for you before spending money on any suspension upgrade parts.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #8
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2017 Honda Grom
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

+1 to trying to have the stock suspension sorted out by John at P1 FIRST, however, its been noted that the stock suspension / geometry of that bike is pretty terrible.

The reviews have been "Excellent bike, sans the suspension setup".
Old 05-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #9
Miloman

Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)

When it comes to grip there is only one thing equally or arguably more important than suspension and that’s tires.

Going from shhhmedium grip hard compound road tires that last 6k miles to sticky grippy soft compound sport tires that last half that can be a major improvement for the corners and cost much less than buying full ohlins/racetech parts. If you are pushing your bike and loosing grip i would start with tires.

If you are looking for slight suspension improvements without spending much - dump the factory fork oil buy some good oil and re valve for your weight, then as others said have a guy that knows suspension adjustments stiffen everything up for you.
Liked this post:
Old 05-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
Miloman

Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
+1 to trying to have the stock suspension sorted out by John at P1 FIRST, however, its been noted that the stock suspension / geometry of that bike is pretty terrible.

The reviews have been "Excellent bike, sans the suspension setup".
A friend of mine did r1 fork conversion on his in hopes of fixing that. Was huuuuuuuuge pain in the a$$ being the r1 forks are much shorter and pretty much wrong for a fz in every aspect lol. Iím pretty sure all his grey hair is from building that bike haha. In the end he could never get the suspension geometry quite right after the conversion and it ended up loosing its spot in the garage to a r1m.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #11
RustinR

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2007 Buell XB9SX
2005 Ducati 999R
1972 Kawasaki H2 Cafe Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninenine View Post

+1 for John at P1. He set up the suspension on my CBR 250 track bike, and recommended all the mods...if you go with what he tells you, you really can't go wrong. If you just get the stock suspension adjusted per his recommendations and start with that, you'll probably see an improvement. Don't be afraid to tinker with the settings a bit...do a little at a time as your owner's manual instructs and you'll quickly get a feel for what effect each adjustment has. The next task will be refining your riding skill to match your newly capable bike! Track days are good for that.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #12
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1994 Honda Shadow VLX600
FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper - SOLD
1964 Tote Gote - SOLD
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
I agree with changing your tires first. Better grip, followed by heavy duty brake pads so you can brake harder and later all while not getting a lot of fade. You really should participate on a track day... Better to test your limits in a controlled environment, rather than some back country road where emergency personnel is not readily available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #13
SouthernFZ09

Thanks for all the suggestions y'all, greatly appreciated!!! I have watched some suspension tuning videos specific to my bike and made some changes. I did notice a difference, however I've been told and read that these bikes are more suited for a 170ish pound rider and anyone over 190lbs really needs to get a proper setup for their weight. I also just recently put a set of Metzler Sportec M7 RR tires on and it's way better then the miss match that was on there. I plan to pop in to P1 and talk with those guys as well.

I've looked into track days, put good lawd they are expensive. I understand that running a race track has to be expensive, but I can't justify spending $500 for a 1/2 day or so of actual riding. Now, if I could spend $500 and get say 3-4 riding sessions with an experienced instructor, that would be way easier for me to swallow.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:21 PM   #14
Lindz

Bike(s):
2014 Ducati 899 Panigale
2007 Buell XB12SCG
2009 Suzuki S40 custom cafe racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernFZ09 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions y'all, greatly appreciated!!! I have watched some suspension tuning videos specific to my bike and made some changes. I did notice a difference, however I've been told and read that these bikes are more suited for a 170ish pound rider and anyone over 190lbs really needs to get a proper setup for their weight. I also just recently put a set of Metzler Sportec M7 RR tires on and it's way better then the miss match that was on there. I plan to pop in to P1 and talk with those guys as well.

I've looked into track days, put good lawd they are expensive. I understand that running a race track has to be expensive, but I can't justify spending $500 for a 1/2 day or so of actual riding. Now, if I could spend $500 and get say 3-4 riding sessions with an experienced instructor, that would be way easier for me to swallow.

Contact Kris Lillegard for an all day one on one training day at MSRH
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #15
Lindz

Bike(s):
2014 Ducati 899 Panigale
2007 Buell XB12SCG
2009 Suzuki S40 custom cafe racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
Contact Kris Lillegard for an all day one on one training day at MSRH

www.kk47racing.com
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:05 PM   #16
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2017 Honda Grom
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

Quote:

I think you are looking at the wrong price lol.

1st day can probably run you about 80-100 for a full day, and about 180-200 a full day after.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:55 AM   #17
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
15 GROM
17 FZ10

Quote:
I did notice a difference, however I've been told and read that these bikes are more suited for a 170ish pound rider and anyone over 190lbs really needs to get a proper setup for their weight.
It's your money, but really a new rider with little experience should be OK with stock suspension that is properly set up. I'm 220, and ride stock suspension FZ10 (yes it has better suspension). Internet has many opinions (like this one), but instead of reading those, go ride and see how it feels for you. When I started, I had SV650 with stock suspension for 2 years - 32000 miles. It included several hill country runs and few track days. It wasn't until I got faster on the track that I needed to make changes.

Oh, track days are way less than that. You were probably looking at COTA. Go and learn at MSRH.
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:55 AM   #18
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

We have been doing suspension for over 35 years.
We have built multiple FJ09's including one for Scott Dennis.
That said, I highly recommend starting out with getting your suspension set up.
We charge $38.00 and can normally take care of you while you wait.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
https://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #19
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2017 Honda Grom
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
It's your money, but really a new rider with little experience should be OK with stock suspension that is properly set up. I'm 220, and ride stock suspension FZ10 (yes it has better suspension). Internet has many opinions (like this one), but instead of reading those, go ride and see how it feels for you. When I started, I had SV650 with stock suspension for 2 years - 32000 miles. It included several hill country runs and few track days. It wasn't until I got faster on the track that I needed to make changes.

Oh, track days are way less than that. You were probably looking at COTA. Go and learn at MSRH.
Even a full day at COTA is like $450
Old 05-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #20
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2017 Honda Grom
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
We have been doing suspension for over 35 years.
We have built multiple FJ09's including one for Scott Dennis.
That said, I highly recommend starting out with getting your suspension set up.
We charge $38.00 and can normally take care of you while you wait.
What he said.

Every time I buy a new bike, I ride an hour+ to have Patrick's team adjust my suspension for me.

Advertisement