MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2021, 08:25 PM   #1
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
2009 Kawasaki Ninja EX250J

Member Garage

Smile My track journey...

I finally took the dive and picked up a track bike from Rod last week. It's a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250. Super light!!! I also signed up for my 1st track day a few months ago... So hopefully I will see some of y'all on the circuit soon

Introducing Jennifer (The bike had a breast cancer support sticker on it with the name Jennifer, so I thought it was fitting to name the bike so )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Track Bike 2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	107126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Track Bike 1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	107127  
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guy's Journey to His First Harley-Davidson NewsBot Industry News 0 04-21-2016 02:40 PM
need a journey/tradesman plumber plummer Jobs Section 7 02-25-2012 08:13 AM
2 Tickets to Journey/Foreigner 9-25-11 fastcar302 Miscellaneous (Non-Moto-Related) 1 09-21-2011 01:31 PM
The Journey of Man Grinchy Off Topic 8 08-22-2008 03:12 PM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) Journey May 30th PICS 56k DIE linjy2 Taking it to the Track 50 06-04-2005 02:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2021, 06:38 AM   #2
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

That looks like a really nice bike.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-06-2021, 08:10 AM   #3
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 (Race Bike)
2017 Honda Grom

Member Garage

Badass! Can't wait to ride with you on track!
Old 04-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
diggler

Feedback Rating: (0)

Congrats...hope to see you at the track soon.
Jennifer was awesome! Cancer sux and glad you are keeping her memory alive.
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-06-2021, 12:54 PM   #5
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2017 Honda Grom

Member Garage

Oh , that was HER bike?

RIP..... :(
Old 04-06-2021, 02:36 PM   #6
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Well done bruh!
I forgot to tell you that Dirk has a nice set of tire warmers "pit posy" for $150.
Get it if you can... I also told him to hold a nice set of takeoffs for you
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-06-2021, 02:37 PM   #7
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Oh , that was HER bike?

RIP..... :(
No only the sticker... the bike was Mark Shin's championship winning bike.
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-06-2021, 02:45 PM   #8
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2017 Honda Grom

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
No only the sticker... the bike was Mark Shin's championship winning bike.
Oh, nice!
Old 04-06-2021, 03:21 PM   #9
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100

Member Garage

I didn't know the story behind the sticker... I feel bad because I removed all the stickers from the bike, but I still hold solid on naming the bike Jennifer. Now I know the back story on the sticker and just that little bit of knowledge will keep her spirt alive. I might even try to score some spare wheels and get them powder coated white, because they look nice and fresh. Thanks for the welcoming guys! Super excited to be doing this and having something to work on, both mechanically, physically, and mentally.
Quote:
Quote:
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
Liked this post:
Old 05-19-2021, 03:16 PM   #10
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100

Member Garage

Wink Long READ... the backstory.

It’s been a minute and I haven’t updated y’all with my progress, or given a backstory as to why I decided to start doing track days.
I’ll go ahead and start with the backstory. Long read about to start, so make sure you are ready for some pastime, if you are continuing…

I’ve always been attracted to risky sports, especially anything relating to wheels rolling on the ground. I’ve jumped stupid dangerous things (both on 2-wheels, 4-wheels, and sometimes no wheels), gone as fast as motors/wheels could turn, and risked it for the biscuit many-a-times. Out of all my crazy experiences, I never once thought to myself that I should learn how to be fast and safe at the same time… at least not until I lived in California for a few years.

One thing I learned REAL quickly, was their twisties, are not like our twisties. I was basically a statistic waiting to happen. I was hardheaded, wanting to go fast, and was thinking I was going to show these hippies what a crazy Texan can do I had a few pucker moments, followed by some regretful moments, and then CLARITY. What I learned was to let go of my ego and just ride my own ride. Letting go of my ego was hard, but it brought clarity to my riding style. By slowing down and not caring about the position I was in on a group ride, I was able to see the struggles new riders were dealing with and reflect on my own. I never really cared about ATGATT in the past, or proper body positioning either, which reflected in my poor riding style and risky behavior. I started to pay attention to the other serious riders in my group of riding buddies. They had great pointers and shared informative literature on body positioning. They explained bike ergonomics and technical features that assist in better cornering. We practiced riding every weekend on the countless twisty mountain roads and it helped me tremendously. But, I still had a whisky throttle and my skills were not tuned yet. I was still riding solo and being an idiot when no one was looking. At this point, I started riding with a whole other group and they took notice immediately of my “squidish” ways. They said I was ok and that if I wanted to ride with them again, I was going to have to pick up some leathers and better riding boots. I was a little offended, but I really wanted to be a part of their crew… So I swallowed my pride and started CL hunting for second-hand gear. Within 2 weeks I was geared up and ready to ride! Now, the gear I had acquired (and still currently own as back up leathers) was ugly and had previous rashes, but being totally geared up, was better than steel toed boots and an MH pullover. I rode with them a hand full of times, but quickly learned I was nowhere near their skill level and I was just slowing them down on their rides. I made a few great connections though and still communicate with them on a weekly basis. At this time, the wife got us on a social gathering app called Meetup. While trying to learn the app and creating my profile, I stumbled upon a weekly motorcycle riding group called “Navato Weekend Riders” and decided to give them a go. We met and rode a few times, and a solid bond started to grow between everyone. This group turned out to be awesome! We started out with 8 to 10 riders and then blew up to 20+ riders. The group was VERY diverse and we all had great times every weekend. It was this group that eventually turned me on to wanting to do a track day. We had maybe 2 or 3 guys who were track junkies… they were really good riders and promoted going to track days to become better riders (both on street and track).

I knew my time in California was coming to an end, so I wanted to keep the motivation going on doing a track day. So I signed up for the 2021 Memorial track day event with 3:16 and immediately started looking for a cheap track bike. I was determined to get a track bike without the wife knowing about it, but I kept running into clapped out bikes that were too far neglected and/or wrecked beyond simple repairs. I was so obsessed in looking for a bike that eventually the wife found out I was trying to spend more money on bikes (I had been on a buying spree in California and was collecting one-bike-after-another). We had a serious talk and I finally confined to her my reasons for wanting to buy a track bike. She didn’t know how addicted I was to speeding and how hungry I had become, to learn the art of riding to the limits. I just find the whole track day thing VERY intriguing! But, it has also kept me level headed and away from riding beyond my skill level on the streets.

The wife and I came up with a compromise, so I can continue to move forward with track day stuff. I had to stick to a $4,000 kick-off budget. This included the purchase of my track bike, repairs that it would need, modifications, and any costs associated with additional gear that I didn’t have. There was a kicker though… I had to sell a bike in my fleet. I figured if I do it right from the beginning, I’ll have a good chance at maintaining my new hobby the proper way. So due to my inability to refrain from whisky throttle and the fact that I’ll ride more aggressive on an easier handling bike, I decided the BMW had to go.

Now that I had the support of the wife, I dove in and started actively/seriously looking for a good starter bike. I did my research and kept an open mind to all types of bikes. At first, I wanted to stay on an equal playing field as my current play bike (the BMW)… but 1000cc’s was WAY too much bike for what I was trying to get into. I then started looking at 600-750cc bikes, which was reasonable, but budget wise, it would be just as expensive as a big liter bike and almost as much, or equal in maintenance costs. This led me to looking at smaller displacement motorcycles. I was very surprised to find out how quick these little bikes could be. I also learned how reliable they could be with proper maintenance and how much longer parts last (especially tires!) on them too. This was great news to me and I started beating the bushes looking for one.

I had a few leads, but the one that stood out to me the most, was an offer from Rod (here on MH). I had done business with him in the past and remembered how motivating he was, when he talked about track days. I knew he was an active racer and that he was always promoting safety. I highly respected his positive influences and decided that his sale offer was the best option for me… I’m glad I followed through with him, because I ended up with exactly what I needed to make my budget work out perfectly!

Since I bought the bike I have gone through it thoroughly and made some personal touches, replaced a few damaged parts, and upgraded a few things that were wearing out due to age. Rod did an awesome job getting the bike running and pretty much ready for riding... I could've just did a few things and hit the track. But I'm ridiculously OCD in a way that I have to have touched and cleaned everything on all my bikes… just for piece-of-mind. So I ended up doing many things done to her, but none that would catch your eye if you didn’t already know this bike intimately. All-in-all with the budget of $4,000, I completed it with still $242 left on tap!

I’m attaching some pictures of the bike through her random progressions of coming together. I’ll make a future post of how I spent my budget and what I did, in hopes it’ll inspire someone else to follow through on their track day dreams
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210518_202726.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	107213   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210512_225512.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	107214   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210512_225416.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	107215  

Name:	20210512_225443.jpg
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	107216   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210518_202908.jpg
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	107217   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_210929.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	107218  

Name:	20210506_200936.jpg
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	107219   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210503_222443.jpg
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	107220   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210512_204543.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	107221  

Name:	20210512_204519.jpg
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	107222  
Quote:
Quote:
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
Liked this post:
Old 05-19-2021, 03:41 PM   #11
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
The cost of the bike is a drop in the bucket compared to some of the other expenses you may incur during your adventures (don't tell the wife this). Stay away from box and helicopter rides as well as ER's! Wish I could get back out there....maybe one day!

Congrats on the bike.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-19-2021, 03:49 PM   #12
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

Small bikes is the way to go. I just been talking with the beyond the track guys and they have quite a few kayo mr150s. I sold my kayo 125 to a young rider so he can practice his skills and he is part of the group.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-19-2021, 06:32 PM   #13
Seawall

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
09 YZF-R6 Track/Street
07 YZF-R6 Track
18 MT-09 Street

i firmly believe that trackdays save lives. but it can be a double edge sword. some trackday guys think that they can ride as fast in the street as if they were in the track. thats where they hurt or kill themselves. always ride %50 of your ability.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:11 PM   #14
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i
Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
Small bikes is the way to go. I just been talking with the beyond the track guys and they have quite a few kayo mr150s. I sold my kayo 125 to a young rider so he can practice his skills and he is part of the group.

Yup!
classala is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-19-2021, 08:23 PM   #15
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000

Stoked for you, dude. Really been telling myself to get back to the track. Gotta get motivated!
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-20-2021, 03:32 AM   #16
TaiMc
IG: ttaimc

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
I finally took the dive and picked up a track bike from Rod last week. It's a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250. Super light!!! I also signed up for my 1st track day a few months ago... So hopefully I will see some of y'all on the circuit soon

Introducing Jennifer (The bike had a breast cancer support sticker on it with the name Jennifer, so I thought it was fitting to name the bike so )
Nice bike! When is your TD?
Mods: Two Brothers Racing S1R Black Series:Carbon fiber Slip-on (Album), ZeroGravity Racing Corsa "Light Smoke" screen (Album), LED Glow lighting kit (green-16 strips, Album), Puig sport foot pegs:Green (Album), TechSpec USA tank grips (Album), Modified "trunk space" (Album); Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit (DIY Thread)/Album)
TaiMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:35 AM   #17
TaiMc

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:

I’m attaching some pictures of the bike through her random progressions of coming together. I’ll make a future post of how I spent my budget and what I did, in hopes it’ll inspire someone else to follow through on their track day dreams
I like the green!
Mods: Two Brothers Racing S1R Black Series:Carbon fiber Slip-on (Album), ZeroGravity Racing Corsa "Light Smoke" screen (Album), LED Glow lighting kit (green-16 strips, Album), Puig sport foot pegs:Green (Album), TechSpec USA tank grips (Album), Modified "trunk space" (Album); Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit (DIY Thread)/Album)
Old 05-20-2021, 06:43 AM   #18
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMc View Post
Nice bike! When is your TD?
Memorial Day
Quote:
Quote:
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
Liked this post:
Old 05-21-2021, 12:23 AM   #19
TaiMc

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Memorial Day
Where!
Liked this post:
Old 05-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #20
Seawall

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
09 YZF-R6 Track/Street
07 YZF-R6 Track
18 MT-09 Street

Quote: