MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2021, 08:58 PM   #21
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
2009 Kawasaki Ninja EX250J

Member Garage

Had a BLAST today! Met GABRIEL and got my feet wet finally. He convinced me to come out to Speedsportz Racing Park (kart racing track) and helped me learn some really important things. John is freaking awesome BTW!! Total savage on his supermoto

Sorry for the vibrating screen... I could've sworn I turned on the stabilizer setting. Anyways, this is my very first time in a track setting, so take it easy on me with the critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guy's Journey to His First Harley-Davidson NewsBot Industry News 0 04-21-2016 02:40 PM
need a journey/tradesman plumber plummer Jobs Section 7 02-25-2012 08:13 AM
2 Tickets to Journey/Foreigner 9-25-11 fastcar302 Miscellaneous (Non-Moto-Related) 1 09-21-2011 01:31 PM
The Journey of Man Grinchy Off Topic 8 08-22-2008 03:12 PM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) Journey May 30th PICS 56k DIE linjy2 Taking it to the Track 50 06-04-2005 02:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2021, 02:15 AM   #22
TaiMc
IG: ttaimc

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
MSRH with 3:16 trackdays
TY! I keep hearing about 3:16 track days
Mods: Two Brothers Racing S1R Black Series:Carbon fiber Slip-on (Album), ZeroGravity Racing Corsa "Light Smoke" screen (Album), LED Glow lighting kit (green-16 strips, Album), Puig sport foot pegs:Green (Album), TechSpec USA tank grips (Album), Modified "trunk space" (Album); Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit (DIY Thread)/Album)
TaiMc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:27 AM   #23
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP DS FI Restomod
2008 BMW R1200GS
2015 Husqvarna FE 501

Great story, great bike, excellent you are leaving the sticker.

Have fun and don't take any of it too seriously.
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:09 PM   #24
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100

Member Garage

So I officially completed my 1st track day with 3:16 on Memorial Day! Freaking awesome experience!

I couldn't sleep that great the night before, because I was so anxious and nervous. I didn't know how much of my stuff I should bring either... so I went ahead and brought everything, minus the lift table

I got up at 3:45AM and double checked my trailer before departure… I was in route by 4:15AM and arrived at the MSRH gates at 5:57AM. I followed the exact instructions my mentor emailed me and found an open area within 15’ of his canopy… which was pretty convenient, given he was right at the front where everything was at. I had my bike unloaded and canopy erected and was hydrating before everyone started crawling out of their RV’s and trailers. After meeting my mentor, I decided to just setup under his tent for the remainder of the day.

There were a total of 4 guys in my group and then my mentor had a helper (secondary mentor), so feedback and one-on-one training was plentiful. I thought I was going to be killing the track and it ended up being quite the opposite Turns out, I don’t know still My lines were wide coming into the Gut Check (I kept going far left and cutting into the middle of the launch), I was also staying wide coming off the back straight into Diamond’s Edge, and finally coming out of the Carousel into Joe Bone was pretty sketch. I kept making the same mistakes over-and-over until I finally cleared my head, stopped trying to pin the throttle, and just focus on my body positioning. My mentor told me to pick a corner and nail it every time. He said once I get the corner figured out and can consistently and smoothly hammer it every time, that then I can apply that to every corner afterwards… so I picked the Bus Stop to practice on. This was a great corner to work on! Coming out of the Keyhole and setting up for the Bus Stop was so much fun. I felt like I was going slower and slower though, because every time I would concentrate more-and-more on body positioning and having a smooth throttle. By the end of the day, I felt comfortable and it seemed to flow better. I wish I had more day left! Because I felt like I started to get the hang of it, right at the end.

I learned a few other things too… I didn’t need to bring everything out of my garage. I absolutely need to get my suspension tuned! It was SOOOOO friggin’ stiff!!! Exiting the Carousel into Joe Bone was super bumpy! I had to keep it a little slower there because the bike was break dancing under me and I was fighting it pretty hard through there every time. I lost my canopy to the wind, so I need better anchors and maybe better quality canopy. And I need to buy a better rear stand… current stand is a bit rickety.

All-in-all it was an amazing experience! I got to ride with awesome people, learned a bunch of good information to make me a safer rider when going faster, and I was able to learn how to pass people in a respectful/safe manner. Not once did I feel like I was scared of the other riders around me. I did make a few mistakes, but I was immediately informed what I did wrong and I didn’t make those mistakes again. I truly love track riding now! I want to do it as often as I can, but I need to build some pocket money up first… or learn other ways to get on the track somehow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MSRH 05-31-2021 - 316 Trackday - Love to Ride (2).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	936.6 KB
ID:	107272   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210531_065448.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	107273   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210531_151432.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	107274  

Quote:
Quote:
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe

Last edited by flipstyledsm22; 06-05-2021 at 07:12 PM.
Liked this post:
Old 06-05-2021, 07:46 PM   #25
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000

Super cool, dude!
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-06-2021, 08:24 PM   #26
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 (Race Bike)
2017 Honda Grom

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
So I officially completed my 1st track day with 3:16 on Memorial Day! Freaking awesome experience!

I couldn't sleep that great the night before, because I was so anxious and nervous. I didn't know how much of my stuff I should bring either... so I went ahead and brought everything, minus the lift table

I got up at 3:45AM and double checked my trailer before departure… I was in route by 4:15AM and arrived at the MSRH gates at 5:57AM. I followed the exact instructions my mentor emailed me and found an open area within 15’ of his canopy… which was pretty convenient, given he was right at the front where everything was at. I had my bike unloaded and canopy erected and was hydrating before everyone started crawling out of their RV’s and trailers. After meeting my mentor, I decided to just setup under his tent for the remainder of the day.

There were a total of 4 guys in my group and then my mentor had a helper (secondary mentor), so feedback and one-on-one training was plentiful. I thought I was going to be killing the track and it ended up being quite the opposite Turns out, I don’t know still My lines were wide coming into the Gut Check (I kept going far left and cutting into the middle of the launch), I was also staying wide coming off the back straight into Diamond’s Edge, and finally coming out of the Carousel into Joe Bone was pretty sketch. I kept making the same mistakes over-and-over until I finally cleared my head, stopped trying to pin the throttle, and just focus on my body positioning. My mentor told me to pick a corner and nail it every time. He said once I get the corner figured out and can consistently and smoothly hammer it every time, that then I can apply that to every corner afterwards… so I picked the Bus Stop to practice on. This was a great corner to work on! Coming out of the Keyhole and setting up for the Bus Stop was so much fun. I felt like I was going slower and slower though, because every time I would concentrate more-and-more on body positioning and having a smooth throttle. By the end of the day, I felt comfortable and it seemed to flow better. I wish I had more day left! Because I felt like I started to get the hang of it, right at the end.

I learned a few other things too… I didn’t need to bring everything out of my garage. I absolutely need to get my suspension tuned! It was SOOOOO friggin’ stiff!!! Exiting the Carousel into Joe Bone was super bumpy! I had to keep it a little slower there because the bike was break dancing under me and I was fighting it pretty hard through there every time. I lost my canopy to the wind, so I need better anchors and maybe better quality canopy. And I need to buy a better rear stand… current stand is a bit rickety.

All-in-all it was an amazing experience! I got to ride with awesome people, learned a bunch of good information to make me a safer rider when going faster, and I was able to learn how to pass people in a respectful/safe manner. Not once did I feel like I was scared of the other riders around me. I did make a few mistakes, but I was immediately informed what I did wrong and I didn’t make those mistakes again. I truly love track riding now! I want to do it as often as I can, but I need to build some pocket money up first… or learn other ways to get on the track somehow.
Awesome. Glad to hear you had a great day!

I look forward to riding with you soon!
Old 06-07-2021, 09:14 AM   #27
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Riding the track have me an outlet for my "go fast" urges and allowed me to explore my limits in a safer environment.
That not only made me a better rider but it made me slow down on the street. I learned to leave my ego behind at the track because I could see, there were many people faster than I would EVER be. And I was OK with that.
That taught me to leave my ego behind on the street, as well.
Relax, ride your own ride and suddenly it all gets better.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-07-2021, 12:10 PM   #28
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
03 SV650 (race)
2007 KTM Super Duke
12 EX250R (race)
99 YZ250
14 MSX125

Still my favorite bike. Glad to see you worked out that you don't need a fast bike to go fast. If you're free the weekend of the 18-20 all the suspension gurus will be at MSRH for race weekend. They can tune the suspension to get it close, or let you know if you need to respring for your weight. I think Mark was probably around 175 when he rode it. Also, the 415 chains have a limited life. If you don't know how old it is, replace it. I sprinted an entire season on one, but we used to replace the endurance chain after every round. Have fun
CMRA#59
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:02 PM   #29
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiayeman View Post
Still my favorite bike. Glad to see you worked out that you don't need a fast bike to go fast. If you're free the weekend of the 18-20 all the suspension gurus will be at MSRH for race weekend. They can tune the suspension to get it close, or let you know if you need to respring for your weight. I think Mark was probably around 175 when he rode it. Also, the 415 chains have a limited life. If you don't know how old it is, replace it. I sprinted an entire season on one, but we used to replace the endurance chain after every round. Have fun
Thank you for the heads up! I'm glad you have prior knowledge of this bike. I am also 170'ish, but I'm 5'5"... which is why almost all race suits I've accommodated, look like they were once owned by giants

I think the suspension must have been accidentally messed with before my ownership, because it has almost no give.... Super tight! Also, I think the current chain has 2 or 3 more track days left in it. I clean it and re-wax the chain after every ride. I have a new ERZ 415 chain for it, so I'm ready to replace it once it shows signs of slack on the sprocket. I will definitely bring it out that weekend and get it adjusted to my weight. I was also informed that I can do a racing class during the event too, so I'm looking forward to giving that a go as well.
Quote:
Quote:
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
Liked this post:
Old 06-07-2021, 11:02 PM   #30
RustinR

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2007 Buell XB9SX
2005 Ducati 999R
1972 Kawasaki H2 Cafe Racer

Hey! Sweet bike! I remember seeing you on the track on Monday.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:02 PM   #31
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinR View Post
Hey! Sweet bike! I remember seeing you on the track on Monday.
Sweet! Next time you see me out, come over and say hi! I am normally very talkative!
Quote:
Quote:
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe

Advertisement