MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2017, 08:16 PM   #1
fc_bliss

Feedback Rating: (0)

getting back to the track

Hey there, I've been riding on and off for over 15 years. I've had a project bike sitting in my garage for a few years. I'm finally getting to a point where I'm going to get it back on the track hopefully soon. I live in the Heights, and I'm looking for recommendations on a local independently operated motorcycle shop I can trust to help me rebuild a track bike. The bike is a 07 gsxr 600.

-bliss
fc_bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSR HOUSTON-TRACK DAYS ARE BACK! HALFFAST General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 02-05-2014 07:57 PM
Which Back Protector for Track Jason_Canuck Safety Corner Main 26 05-30-2011 11:37 AM
Back on track... (loooong) tomLSTD Taking it to the Track 15 08-30-2007 02:13 AM
Track It Back (.com) ArturoC Off Topic 3 09-29-2006 05:04 PM
Just got back from the Track ScooterTrash Off Topic 9 07-08-2006 09:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
KTM 525sx tard
Z125 Pro
TTR125 Mini Tard
KTM 300sx

Hey there. I think I have talked to you here in the Heights. I live on Key St. Patrick at Motorcycles unlimited is a sponsor here and does great work. Another option is P1 racing. Neither one is real close but options ate limited here by downtown.
Ek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #3
chuckjl

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2014 Triumph Street Triple R

Member Garage

I've been recommended Metric Motorcycles. Owner is Andy and I'm told he is very good but eccentric; he works on everything himself and will take as long as required (maybe more so than you would like) to do the job done correctly. He primarily communicates through e-mail; shoot him a note and see what he responds with.

I have not used him myself yet.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:45 PM   #4
Nikofab
Whatever, Let's Ride

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2017 Aprilia RSV4RR
2011 CBR1000RR: Sold
2007 Yamaha R1: Under Investigation
2003 CBR 600 F4i: Sold

I have worked with Jorge at JD Cycles in the past. He's a former racer and certified across several makes.

If you're looking for engine/head/machine work, go see Harold at H.A.M.S.

http://www.haroldsautomotivemachineshop.net/
Nikofab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
fc_bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek View Post
Hey there. I think I have talked to you here in the Heights. I live on Key St. Patrick at Motorcycles unlimited is a sponsor here and does great work. Another option is P1 racing. Neither one is real close but options ate limited here by downtown.
Yes! Hey neighbor! I had written it down when we last spoke but lost the info. It's embarrassing how long my bike has just sat there in my garage, but being a first time dad takes some adjustment. Bought this bike right before my wife got pregnant, fast forward 3+ years later and here we are.

Anyway, I took a look at my gas tank this past weekend and its rusted pretty bad from the inside, and i need to replace the cap. So stripping and restoring the tank is my first project for this week. I'm also installing an ignition bypass, and then it should be ready for me to take over to the shop for the forks, seals, and everything else lol.

Might need your help/advice once I get it back. Thanks for the recommendations again.
fc_bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #6
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
KTM 525sx tard
Z125 Pro
TTR125 Mini Tard
KTM 300sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc_bliss View Post
Yes! Hey neighbor! I had written it down when we last spoke but lost the info. It's embarrassing how long my bike has just sat there in my garage, but being a first time dad takes some adjustment. Bought this bike right before my wife got pregnant, fast forward 3+ years later and here we are.

Anyway, I took a look at my gas tank this past weekend and its rusted pretty bad from the inside, and i need to replace the cap. So stripping and restoring the tank is my first project for this week. I'm also installing an ignition bypass, and then it should be ready for me to take over to the shop for the forks, seals, and everything else lol.

Might need your help/advice once I get it back. Thanks for the recommendations again.
I have a fork lift stand that you can use and we can pull the forks and then you can just take them to have serviced. I will PM you my number. Good luck with the gas tank!
Ek is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Welcome to MH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #8
BD#270

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-10R race bike
2016 Honda Grom
KTM 65 Motard
TTR BBR 153

Send a message via AIM to BD#270
+1 for Harold's Machine Shop. His shop has been around for a long time and specializes in motorcycle machine work. Motorcycles Unlimited would be a great place to get your track bike back ready to go.
BD#270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #9
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Andy does very very good work - but is probably overkill for “getting back to the track”, have Motorcycles Unlimited or P1, or another recommended shop do it. Save Metrix for exotic and perfection-requiring jobs
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement