MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2022, 09:13 AM   #1
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Return to Arkansas

Well some of you know, some of you don't. If you don't know, you can catch up over here in this thread. https://www.motohouston.com/forums/s...mpastx+injured

17 years ago, I was in a bad motorcycle accident that ended my ability to ride. I have missed it so much that you can't begin to imagine. Well on this 17th anniversary, I decided to do something I had wanted to do since that fateful day, return to the location. So I went out on the very day that it happened this past Friday. The accident happened to also fall on the same day of the week this year. The drive up was pretty uneventful. Lots of fun driving on the back roads. Hitting the twisties pretty hard in the GTR on the way up there. If you have not been to Arkansas on a bike, you are missing out on some of the best riding in the country. Anyways, I rolled up to the site where I was never going to walk again. Tears flowed as I drove up the Pig Trail hwy 23. I arrived and pulled up the the owners house where it happened. My son got out to knock at the door. The owner came out and met with me. He had no idea who I was. After all it had been 17 years to the day. I started to explain it all to him. His son was on the porch waiting for his friends to arrive so they could go to town. His friend was the one that collided with me. So I continued to introduce myself. I told him parts of the story of my life since that day. He did remember the helicopter landing in his yard and the accident once I reminded him. He assumed that I never made it. Everyone else assumed the same thing. He was also told that it was my first time riding and I cleared up a lot of other misconceptions he was told. Then I found out more about his son and the man that hit me. Both had joined the Navy, and get this...his son and his wife were married 12 years ago on the same exact day as my accident. How crazy is that. Anyways, it was really nice going back. I got to finish the route I was supposed to that day. I also got to stop by the hospital that saved my life. The trip was very nice. I wish I was able to share it with all those that rode with me and could have experienced it with me. I felt more at peace since coming back. It was refreshing. Perhaps in 3 years, I can plan another trip with all the ones that was with me on that day and we can finish the route together. Anyways, I thought I would share.

Ride safe.

Pics from 17 years ago.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0013.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	107967   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0014.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	107968   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0017.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	107969  

Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greetings from Arkansas Intermission General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 06-10-2010 11:06 AM
Arkansas Rides HouTexRider Events, Meets and Rides 9 04-14-2010 10:29 PM
Roads in Arkansas? DannyBoy General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 11-25-2009 07:58 PM
Arkansas anyone?? Japawhat02 Events, Meets and Rides 22 07-16-2008 11:01 AM
Arkansas roads? 07CBR General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 05-18-2008 08:27 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2022, 09:48 AM   #2
catbread

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2020 MV Agusta Dragster RR
2017 MT-09
2015 FZ-09

Thank you for sharing your story. Those pictures paint a terrifying scene and to have these provided by the person involved in it is amazing to read and see. Sounds like the GTR has been well to you! Got any mods on it?
catbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:54 AM   #3
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbread View Post
Thank you for sharing your story. Those pictures paint a terrifying scene and to have these provided by the person involved in it is amazing to read and see. Sounds like the GTR has been well to you! Got any mods on it?
Just wheels and tires. I hadn't been interested in modding it. I need reliability. Although it would be fun. To make it feasible, I would need to be able to do most of the work like I used to be able to do. Trusting a shop and the cost is insane for something I knew I could do if I could. Its always a challenge to know you can do something mentally but not physically and be willing to allow someone else to do something they may or may not be able to do.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:07 PM   #4
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
15 GROM
17 FZ10

Remember that day every year. We ended up riding that weekend after Brian's accident. I was running late and did not make the ride that this happened on. But for the whole weekend this was on my mind. This was last time I rode in Arkansas. I've been back by car, just not on a moto. Good you were able to go. I'd like to go again as alot of places we went that weekend are a blur.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5723.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	688.7 KB
ID:	107970  
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-10-2022, 11:25 AM   #5
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S (SOLD)
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
2009 Kawasaki Ninja EX250J

Member Garage

Brian, you are an inspiration to us all on being able to mentally collect ourselves to push through and live on. This was a great post that brought a sense of calm to your story and seeing that you are back to adventuring, is also pretty awesome to hear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:45 PM   #6
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
06' GSXR1000

Thanks for sharing this.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:30 AM   #7
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
Remember that day every year. We ended up riding that weekend after Brian's accident. I was running late and did not make the ride that this happened on. But for the whole weekend this was on my mind. This was last time I rode in Arkansas. I've been back by car, just not on a moto. Good you were able to go. I'd like to go again as alot of places we went that weekend are a blur.
I found that in the car, it was scary. There are many short hills that cause the car to lift and then followed by an immediate left or right turn. Many times you cannot tell unless you know the road. On a bike, you are higher up and can see better. My son was like OMG! Saying some roads were terrifying lol. I said you think this is scary, go ride a roller coaster!
Old 05-16-2022, 07:41 AM   #8
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Brian, you are an inspiration to us all on being able to mentally collect ourselves to push through and live on. This was a great post that brought a sense of calm to your story and seeing that you are back to adventuring, is also pretty awesome to hear
I never stop adventuring. It's just not as easy to do all the time. I have to consider so many things. Heat, tires, grip, timing...they all have to come together. I don't want to put things at risk. In the heat of the summer, the roads feel greasy in the car. Its not fun. Spring and fall are the best times for me.

BTW, if anyone wants to ride some awesome roads, Beaver's Bend Oklahoma is amazing! The roads are smooth as glass and you can rail on them. Nice knee dragging sweepers. I have never been through there before but decided on that route for the return trip. The lodging also seemed second to none. Looks like such a fun place to visit.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:05 PM   #9
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S (SOLD)
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
2009 Kawasaki Ninja EX250J

Member Garage

Surprisingly, the southeastern part of Oklahoma is really nice. The wife and I camped out in Broken Bow, which was pretty nice and had a lot of elevation changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:58 PM   #10
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

Great post. So glad youíre good and what I can tell in great spirits. Iíll be visiting Arkansas many times as my daughter just started school there. is good
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement