MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic > The Circus
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #21
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedestech View Post
Not exactly. They haven't mirandad him because they are trying to decide if to reclasify him as a combatant and take his rights away.

If they take his rights away he can go to GITMO and be inerrogated "harshly" that you can't do to a normal citizen.
Even so, he can still refuse to talk. He's still a citizen. I realize he's a terrible waste of citizenship, but many have done worse and are still regarded with more rights.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blake Shelton 'buddies' with Miranda Lambert NewsBot Entertainment 0 09-28-2015 10:00 AM
Orlando Bloom, Miranda Kerr separate NewsBot Entertainment 0 10-25-2013 12:10 PM
4 Sale Miranda Lambert Tickets Prothos Off Topic 5 03-12-2012 07:35 AM
miranda lambert b4 the fattening craigntx Off Topic 31 10-01-2011 11:45 AM
Miranda rights for terrorist captured on foreign soil? logan5 Off Topic 1 06-10-2009 03:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #22
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pachuco View Post
what good are your miranda rights anyway? no one is going to talk because they think they don't have a right to keep quiet. either they talk because they're innocent or because they're guilty and have developed a conscience.
and if they talk because they have been brutalized or coerced, they would have done that with or without their rights having been read to them.
honestly, " you're under arrest " is all they really need to know, at the time. the rest will play out soon enough in a court of law.

yes our judicial system is up but i think there are far more criminals walking, due to technicalities, than there are innocent people doing time because of a technicality. word play sucks whether it's in our judicial system or right here on the internet.
I agree that a criminal should never go free if they committed the crime and it can be proven. Unfortunately we live in a society of 'he didn't MEAN to do it, so he's not guilty' vs. 'he did it; he's guilty'.

It's not whether or not you DID the crime, it's whether or not you can find ways around the fact that you did the crime.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #23
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
You don't have to be told your rights to KNOW and UNDERSTAND them. They haven't taken the rights away, just decided not to tell him about his rights.

:
Just to clarify, You are correct. It's actually a Miranda warning that is informing you of your rights.... modern lexicon it is interchangable.

cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #24
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
So why do people in these get categorized as "terrorist" ? Can someone explain that to me. Is it because they are just not "Born" in America
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #25
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Stolen

Quote:
Just to clarify, You are correct. It's actually a Miranda warning that is informing you of your rights.... modern lexicon it is interchangable.

I took a class.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekrew View Post
So why do people in these get categorized as "terrorist" ? Can someone explain that to me. Is it because they are just not "Born" in America
I wish I knew.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #27
cedestech

Quote:
Even so, he can still refuse to talk. He's still a citizen. I realize he's a terrible waste of citizenship, but many have done worse and are still regarded with more rights.
That.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #28
cedestech

Quote:
I took a class.
(in a asian accent)

Uuuuu.... Yu soo smarrttt....
Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #29
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Quote:
born makes no difference, the citizen we drone missiled in yemen and his 16 year old son, were both native born Americans, and had no trial.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
cedestech

Quote:
That is the problem... if allowed to snowball (use the sequester as a example) soon disagreeing with the current administration will be classified
as acting with terroristic intentions...

I know it sounds tin foil but who would have thought the party would
do what they did and gain so much power so quickly....
Old 04-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #31
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
born makes no difference, the citizen we drone missiled in yemen and his 16 year old son, were both native born Americans, and had no trial.
So whats the difference between the 3 dead to these "russian terrorist", vs the 12 dead to the Aurora killer.

I never heard him be called a terrorist
Old 04-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #32
El Pachuco

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2003 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
1975 Honda CB750K
1991 Suzuki DR

Quote:
Quote:
I wish I knew.
regardless of nationality; Timothy mcvey was labeled a terrorist.

terrorist (plural terrorists)
A person, group, or organization that uses violent action, or the threat of violent action, to further political goals; frequently in an attempt to coerce either a more powerful opponent, (such as a citizen or group targeting a government), or conversely, a weaker opponent, (such as a government, or even an internal citizen or group, being targeted by a larger government).
El Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #33
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I get the need to torture when necessary however I dont like the loss of rights when "they" decided its ok. Its a matter of time till no rights are left. Its a jacked up grey area. Sucks that this world is so .
It's not a grey area. We have rights or we don't. This individual's rights are no different than yours or mine. No better, no worse, and the very fact that this has come up at all is very, very disturbing.

He has been caught. He is entitled to his day in court. Then we the people are entitled to our retribution via his legal punishment. We are a nation of laws and the laws need to be allowed to work. As soon as we allow exceptions of any kind to the legal process the entire process is invalid.

His actions are deplorable, despicable, and if I got my hands on him the result would be unmentionable in polite company. That's not the point. The state has to do the right thing and do it within the framework that protects us as a society. Taking short cuts at any point along the way cheapen the result and threaten our rights in the future.

Our laws are strong enough to deal with this. If we don't allow them to work, we weaken them, and the damage we allow to ourselves will be greater than the blood he spilled in Boston.

JMO

Last edited by Sumo; 04-22-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spellin'
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #34
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Member Garage

i just googled "aurora terrorist" this is the first thing i got (no i didn't read the article)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ora-sandy-hook
Old 04-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #35
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pachuco View Post
regardless of nationality; Timothy mcvey was labeled a terrorist.

terrorist (plural terrorists)
A person, group, or organization that uses violent action, or the threat of violent action, to further political goals; frequently in an attempt to coerce either a more powerful opponent, (such as a citizen or group targeting a government), or conversely, a weaker opponent, (such as a government, or even an internal citizen or group, being targeted by a larger government).
But didn't he bomb an federal building or something. I still don't see how the Boston Marathon has anything to due with the definition you provided.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #36
El Pachuco

Bike(s):
2003 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
1975 Honda CB750K
1991 Suzuki DR

although the boston explosion caused civilian casualties, it was politically/religiously motivated.
a stand up and take notice, type message to America. designed to evoke fear.
TERRORISM.
El Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #37
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Basically all Miranda rights does is if a person makes a confession without being read their Miranda rights, that confession cannot be used against him in a court of law. On the other hand, if the person being questioned gives information that leads to evidence, that evidence can be used against them, regardless or not if Miranda rights have been read. It's up to each individual to know their rights under the 5th and 6th amendments. They say ignorance of the law is no excuse when breaking a law. The same should apply to knowing your rights. For me, knowing this, it's no big deal if Miranda rights were read or not.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #38
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Not exactly. They haven't mirandad him because they are trying to decide if to reclasify him as a combatant and take his rights away.

If they take his rights away he can go to GITMO and be inerrogated "harshly" that you can't do to a normal citizen.
This is a slippery slope, one in which I'm eager to see how it plays out. Even though what he did was a heinous act, he should be tried in a court of law as a citizen since he is a citizen. True he is a naturalized citizen, but that does not negate the fact that he is in fact now a citizen of the United States and should be afforded all the rights that come along with US citizenship.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #39
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
Basically all Miranda rights does is if a person makes a confession without being read their Miranda rights, that confession cannot be used against him in a court of law. On the other hand, if the person being questioned gives information that leads to evidence, that evidence can be used against them, regardless or not if Miranda rights have been read. It's up to each individual to know their rights under the 5th and 6th amendments. They say ignorance of the law is no excuse when breaking a law. The same should apply to knowing your rights. For me, knowing this, it's no big deal if Miranda rights were read or not.
Bingo. He still has the right to remain silent.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #40
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Just the fact that its going on and being discussed tells us there is more to it
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement