MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Hanging Yourself With The Noose Of Good Intentions

A friend of mine recently exchanged some motor parts with a guy he knows from another forum who lives in another state. He doesn't know the guy personally, but the guy has a very good reputation on the forum and has been around for a while, so, at a minimum, he's not fly-by-night. Before the exchange of parts took place, my friend wrote the other guy and said, "I would like a three-day inspection period. If I decide that I don't want your part for any reason, I'll pay to send it back to you and also pay for my old part to be returned to me." Fair enough, right? However, when the guy's part arrived, my friend discovered during inspection that the part the guy sent, while very nice looking, was not usable due to a flaw it had. (The flaw, while fairly easily fixed, was not disclosed by the other guy, and in all fairness, it is possible, although not probable, that the other guy didn't know of the flaw, but I put the chances of that at very, very low, unless the other guy is just plain sloppy -- I, in fact, believe that the guy actually created the flaw.) Anyway, my friend contacts the guy and after discussing it, he decides he would like his original part back.

My friend is paying for the shipping of the parts per his agreement with the guy, but is bothered by the fact that he's now doing what he said he was going to do - pay shipping both ways. When my friend said, "If I decide that I don't want your part for any reason, I'll pay to send it back to you and also pay for my old part to be returned to me", what he really meant was that he would pay to ship back a usable part if he decided he didn't want it, and the part, as it is now, is not usable. He's going to stick by his words, but semantics suck sometimes. If I were the guy on the other end I'd say, "I'll pay to ship your part back to you since you can't use the part I sent you," but that's just me.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia expected to announce Mayoral intentions NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 05-06-2015 06:30 AM
Houston singer finds noose hanging outside her home NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 07-22-2014 10:30 AM
Man finds noose hanging inside workplace NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 04-23-2014 09:50 PM
Return of the Noose Grinchy Off Topic 11 01-10-2009 05:28 PM
Code Blue & Illegal Intentions Stunt Show... codebluepawpaw Events, Meets and Rides 3 09-08-2006 08:14 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
jhendrix

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
'02 Shadow 750

If the part is unusable, the other guy should be paying shipping back both ways, IMO.
jhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
I think the guy should pay to ship back the usable part and at least cough up some of the expenses on the non usable part to get returned
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekrew View Post
I think the guy should pay to ship back the usable part and at least cough up some of the expenses on the non usable part to get returned
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
A friend of mine recently exchanged some motor parts with a guy he knows from another forum who lives in another state. He doesn't know the guy personally, but the guy has a very good reputation on the forum and has been around for a while, so, at a minimum, he's not fly-by-night. Before the exchange of parts took place, my friend wrote the other guy and said, "I would like a three-day inspection period. If I decide that I don't want your part for any reason, I'll pay to send it back to you and also pay for my old part to be returned to me." Fair enough, right? However, when the guy's part arrived, my friend discovered during inspection that the part the guy sent, while very nice looking, was not usable due to a flaw it had. (The flaw, while fairly easily fixed, was not disclosed by the other guy, and in all fairness, it is possible, although not probable, that the other guy didn't know of the flaw, but I put the chances of that at very, very low, unless the other guy is just plain sloppy -- I, in fact, believe that the guy actually created the flaw.) Anyway, my friend contacts the guy and after discussing it, he decides he would like his original part back.

My friend is paying for the shipping of the parts per his agreement with the guy, but is bothered by the fact that he's now doing what he said he was going to do - pay shipping both ways. When my friend said, "If I decide that I don't want your part for any reason, I'll pay to send it back to you and also pay for my old part to be returned to me", what he really meant was that he would pay to ship back a usable part if he decided he didn't want it, and the part, as it is now, is not usable. He's going to stick by his words, but semantics suck sometimes. If I were the guy on the other end I'd say, "I'll pay to ship your part back to you since you can't use the part I sent you," but that's just me.
at some part here, I got lost...

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
you have way too much time.

Part.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekrew View Post
Isn't it funny how the guy offered to pay for the items to get fixed here, but isn't offering to pick up the shipping of my friend's part after his part was found to be unusable? I mean, what if my friend had no means to fix the part for cheap? , it would cost that guy more to have it fixed here it than it does to pay for return shipping.

Quote:
Part is a big word, I know. Use the word "item" in place of "part" and see if you get lost at some item.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
zombiejesus
braaaaiiiiinssss

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Quote:
you missed one