MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic > The Circus
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure

Infant mauled - guess the dog breed

So sad...

No Charges Filed After Infant Mauled and Killed in Bassinet by Family Dog

(MOUNT VERNON, Ohio) — A county prosecutor in central Ohio says no criminal charges will be filed against the father of an infant killed last week by one of the family's dogs.

http://time.com/4964090/pit-bull-att...t-vernon-ohio/
Boy Mauled To Death By Sister’s Pit Bulls Bevo Off Topic 76 02-11-2016 12:46 PM
Woman, little girl in hospital after being mauled by two pit bulls NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 08-05-2015 06:50 PM
South Texas boy, 7, dies after being mauled by dogs NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 05-06-2015 09:00 AM
Elderly man mauled to death in dog attack NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 08-30-2013 05:00 PM
almost MAULED!! GAU-8 Off Topic 25 07-27-2009 01:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
upononer6

Bike(s):
2004 yamaha r6
2000 Honda XR50

Let's not play the "guess the breed" game. All dogs are capable of this and it is truly sad. All in how to animal is raided, just like a human. I feel that there should be some sort of charge seeing as how he left the child unattended with the dog..
upononer6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
Toe
et vincere nemo dividat

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
Ducati multistrada
BMW k 1600 GTL exclusive :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upononer6 View Post
Let's not play the "guess the breed" game. All dogs are capable of this and it is truly sad. All in how to animal is raided, just like a human. I feel that there should be some sort of charge seeing as how he left the child unattended with the dog..
Wanna know how I know you have/had a pitbull?
Old 09-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
upononer6

Bike(s):
2004 yamaha r6
2000 Honda XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Wanna know how I know you have/had a pitbull?
Indeed I have! But all that does is start unnecessary arguments that no one will agree on

All dogs are different. My pit is the sweetest dog.
Liked this post:
Old 09-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
skelator
Just US Racing

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GT Performer

Quote:
Indeed I have! But all that does is start unnecessary arguments that no one will agree on

All dogs are different. My pit is the sweetest dog.
I couldn't even slap my ex's sons hand or my pit would grab my hand in non painful way. Protected her boys like a and it was my dog. One of the best dogs I ever had! Problem is bad people inbreed them to make good fighting dogs and those are saved or adopted or breed and it's still to close to crazy .
Old 09-30-2017, 07:18 PM   #6
upononer6

Bike(s):
2004 yamaha r6
2000 Honda XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelator View Post
I couldn't even slap my ex's sons hand or my pit would grab my hand in non painful way. Protected her boys like a and it was my dog. One of the best dogs I ever had! Problem is bad people inbreed them to make good fighting dogs and those are saved or adopted or breed and it's still to close to crazy .
Like I said all in how they are raised. They get a bad reputation because a majority of them are owned by pieces of . Any dog can be that way. My wife was almost killed by a chow. Chows are also known to be aggressive, but I don't look at every chow and whimper that they could be dangerous. At the end of the day, they are animals. No matter the breed.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #7
JetBuilt
Repeat Offender

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Send a message via AIM to JetBuilt
Quote:
Actually, many could argue that not all dogs are capable of this. Can you find multiple news reports of golden retrievers killing children? I dare you to try. While i do agree that the owner is responsible, the dog ultimately killed the child. I love the APBT. I was raised around them and raised them myself for years...as catch dogs for hog hunting and as family pets. I've owned catch dogs that I'd let around an infant, and family dogs that I wouldn't let loose around a stranger, both raised with the best human interests in mind. Anything with a mouth can bite, and that's what I teach my children, but an APBT can rip your face off faster than most other breeds. Anyone that cares to deny that fact does so out of blind ignorance toward the breed. Sad story, but it's no surprise to anyone that guesses the breed, don't hate the player hate the game.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:33 PM   #8
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2006 Yamaha YZF600R
2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC
2002 Yamaha WR250
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

While my dog "Rossi", a pit, is very capable of doing this, I'd bet a lot of money he wouldn't.

The deal is, any dog can snap. Some dogs (like Pit Bulls) have more power than others.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
upononer6

Bike(s):
2004 yamaha r6
2000 Honda XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
Actually, many could argue that not all dogs are capable of this. Can you find multiple news reports of golden retrievers killing children? I dare you to try. While i do agree that the owner is responsible, the dog ultimately killed the child. I love the APBT. I was raised around them and raised them myself for years...as catch dogs for hog hunting and as family pets. I've owned catch dogs that I'd let around an infant, and family dogs that I wouldn't let loose around a stranger, both raised with the best human interests in mind. Anything with a mouth can bite, and that's what I teach my children, but an APBT can rip your face off faster than most other breeds. Anyone that cares to deny that fact does so out of blind ignorance toward the breed. Sad story, but it's no surprise to anyone that guesses the breed, don't hate the player hate the game.
Not denying that one bit. What I'm saying is, any dog raised shorty can act shitty. APBT's aren't all born with some crazy attack mental disorder than people like to say they are. You have to look at the situation as a whole, the average person that owns a pit is a "gang banger" or "thug". Not someone like you or I that raise these dogs the right and obedient way and truly care for them. They get them because they look mean and can be mean. We get them because we love the breed. So of course with more of them being raised wrong you will find more of them doing wrong. But I'm not going to argue that they have more capability of harming, I'm saying just because of the breed doesn't make them more likely. I too teach my kids that anything with a mouth can bite and I honestly feel that you should always be cautious with any animal.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:36 PM   #10
upononer6

Bike(s):
2004 yamaha r6
2000 Honda XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
While my dog "Rossi", a pit, is very capable of doing this, I'd bet a lot of money he wouldn't.

The deal is, any dog can snap. Some dogs (like Pit Bulls) have more power than others.
Exactly what I was trying to say. I'm not one of the ones too blind to know that they have the power to do so, I'm just saying irresponsible owners are a big part of these attacks.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:52 PM   #11
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure

Quote:
Exactly what I was trying to say. I'm not one of the ones too blind to know that they have the power to do so, I'm just saying irresponsible owners are a big part of these attacks.
I agree this more about owners. However, the stats don't lie. Pit Bulls are by far the dog breed that attacks people most. Rotts are on the list as well.

2016 dog bite fatality statistics
31 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2016. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 900 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 71% (22) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6% of the total U.S. dog population.2
Together, pit bulls (22) and rottweilers (2), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 77% of the total recorded deaths in 2016. This same combination also accounted for 76% of all fatal attacks during the 12-year period of 2005 to 2016.
The breakdown between these two breeds is substantial over this 12-year period. From 2005 to 2016, pit bulls killed 254 Americans, about one citizen every 17 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 43, a citizen every 102 days (Related graph).
In 2016, the combination of pit bulls (22), their close cousins, American bulldogs (2), and rottweilers (2) contributed to 84% (26) of all dog bite-related fatalities. Both American bulldog cases involved dogs acquired in Miami-Dade County, Florida.
Labradors and their mixes contributed to 3 deaths in 2016, followed by 6 breeds, each with 2 deaths: American bulldog, Belgian malinois, doberman pinscher, German shepherd, mixed-breed, rottweiler and 2 cases with unreleased breed data.
Annual data from 2016 shows that 42% (13) of the fatality victims were children ages 9-years and younger and 58% (18) were adults, ages 30-years and older. Of the total adults killed by canines in 2016, pit bulls were responsible for 67% (12).
Old 09-30-2017, 10:32 PM   #12
upononer6

Bike(s):
2004 yamaha r6
2000 Honda XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGs View Post
I agree this more about owners. However, the stats don't lie. Pit Bulls are by far the dog breed that attacks people most. Rotts are on the list as well.

31 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2016. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 900 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 71% (22) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6% of the total U.S. dog population.2
Together, pit bulls (22) and rottweilers (2), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 77% of the total recorded deaths in 2016. This same combination also accounted for 76% of all fatal attacks during the 12-year period of 2005 to 2016.
The breakdown between these two breeds is substantial over this 12-year period. From 2005 to 2016, pit bulls killed 254 Americans, about one citizen every 17 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 43, a citizen every 102 days (Related graph).
In 2016, the combination of pit bulls (22), their close cousins, American bulldogs (2), and rottweilers (2) contributed to 84% (26) of all dog bite-related fatalities. Both American bulldog cases involved dogs acquired in Miami-Dade County, Florida.
Labradors and their mixes contributed to 3 deaths in 2016, followed by 6 breeds, each with 2 deaths: American bulldog, Belgian malinois, doberman pinscher, German shepherd, mixed-breed, rottweiler and 2 cases with unreleased breed data.
Annual data from 2016 shows that 42% (13) of the fatality victims were children ages 9-years and younger and 58% (18) were adults, ages 30-years and older. Of the total adults killed by canines in 2016, pit bulls were responsible for 67% (12).
Are those stats from bite.com?

I don't trust that site at all. Their stats randomly change.. but again I won't argue they are responsible for more attacks. Look at the average owner of a pit then look at the average owner of a lab. Not many people buying labs to be intimidating know what I mean? Not many lab or retriever guard dogs, they do exist but not nearly as common as pits or rotts. I would like to know where the dad was when this happened? How did he not hear it happening in time to save the baby? It just seems a little odd to me. I'm not saying he's guilty just would be good to know the whole story
Old 09-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #13
BigComfy

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
Missing: Naked SV650, FZ1, Night Hawk
Best Upgrade:Sv650 Suspension full credit (Motorcycles Unlimited)

Member Garage

That's the saddest thing I've read in a long time.

RIP, little dude.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:48 AM   #14
JAXPOTD
X 610 mat rempit

Bike(s):
PCX 150

dogs lives matter

Quote:

i have come across mean collies, spaniels, hounds, & toy dogs > dogs have interacted with people for so long that they can assimilate personality(s) from humans in proximity > routine minor abuse or rough "fun" can instill means streaks ... the dog will ultimately do what the dog perceives as what it's master wants ... alone a dog often acts out of separation anxiety because the master is gone ... some dogs (like people) are mentally abnormal and act erratically at times > toys/minis in particular but in larger dogs also >it is as common as schizophrenia in people ... children aren't helpless to a dog > a child is a small strange acting creature and a dog and will oft react in a curious or aggressive manner >>> owning a dog requires more attention and effort than most people can or will give and the result(s) are evident in incidents where unattended family dogs bite
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0094.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	99373  
Old 10-01-2017, 06:06 AM   #15
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure

Agree with what you are saying.

The statistics still overwhelming indicate Pits and Rotts as the top offenders in mauling and biting cases. Is that just a coincidence that bad owners gravitate towards those dogs?
Old 10-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #16
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
I'm not trying to argue whatsoever I just like to know where people are getting their info from. I like to cross reference sources. It's amazing how many different sets of statistics you can find on a single topic. Like one of the other threads today was about a dog attack, some sites say labs/retrievers are the highest attack then some say pit bulls. Bad owners isn't a statistic tho so I think they are biased
Wrong thread i know but, the thing that people often miss about pit bulls vs other breeds is:
Pits are not the most likely to attack, there are several breeds that attack more often.
BUT pits are, by far, more likely to kill than any other breed.

Id much rather be bitten by a Lab because most of the time it will bite and then remember its not supposed to and run away.
A pit will instantly forget his training and realize how much it enjoys ripping flesh.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #17
BigComfy

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
Missing: Naked SV650, FZ1, Night Hawk
Best Upgrade:Sv650 Suspension full credit (Motorcycles Unlimited)

Member Garage

Quote:

The statistics still overwhelming indicate Pits and Rotts as the top offenders in mauling and biting cases. Is that just a coincidence that bad owners gravitate towards those dogs?
I'd have to say a lot of it has to do with the owners. 99% of it actually. All the aggressive pits I've ever encountered had terrible owners.

Not everyone should have a pit. Same goes with German Shepherds, Chows, and the like. These breeds aren't like golden retrievers or the like. You need to know what you're doing, spend lots of time with them, give them jobs, and so on. Otherwise, they get bored, frustrated, can become aggressive, etc...

(note: that the above was written under the influence of cough syrup -the good kind- and while enduring a high fever due to sickness. Please forgive all typos and poorly constructed sentences-MGMT)
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #18
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Lots of dogs will bite before a pit. There's a reason why Dobermans and German Shepards are traditionally used as guard dogs. (Not to say that other breeds aren't often used)

On the other hand Pits are FAR more likely to kill. Once they start to attack they won't stop. Beat them, scream at them, they are the least likely to stop an attack.
I think they enjoy it once they do it.

That's why they are dangerous. Sure, you can raise em right and they are generally safe but if anything goes wrong, its gonna go really wrong. Keep a pistol handy.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #19
skelator
Just US Racing

Bike(s):
GT Performer

Quote:

Yes and no

I do admit after owning a pit a rot and growing up breeding Doberman's they are aggressive dogs that must be raised and handled properly! Kinda like owning a living gun with personality. There is a range in personalities too like us where some snap quicker than others! So you must apply yourself accordingly
Old 10-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #20
skelator
Just US Racing

Bike(s):
GT Performer

When introducing a infant into the wolf pack you must read and identify the signs the animal is projecting and may need to get rid of your beloved dog if you see dangerous behavior!

Advertisement