Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!


View Poll Results: Rain or Shine?
If there's a cloud in the sky, you won't see me on two wheels, buddy. 17 10.00%
I prefer not to leave when it's raining, but if I get caught in it, oh well. 117 68.82%
I don't give a about rain and regularly go for rides rain or shine. 32 18.82%
Showers? Yes! But only if they are golden! 4 2.35%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Racer, Rider, Shooter
Racer997's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 3,892

BMW Boxer Cup
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Fearless or Fair Weather Rider?

Repost topic? Maybe, but I don't care. Post

I'm a fair weather rider and always have been. It ain't that I'm a *****, I have simply never bought any street bike for the purpose of commuting rain or shine; my stuff has always been for enjoyment on sunny days. I get no enjoyment out of riding in the rain. Sure, I've been caught out plenty of times, but I didn't plan things that way.

So who else rides only for sport and doesn't go near two wheels when the weather threatens? Who rides thier street bike no matter what the weather is like?
Supplying avatars to MH track guys since 2008.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fearless Bikers Vs Feared Range Rover? R6racer General Discussion (Moto Related) 736 08-07-2015 09:13 AM
fair weather MOTOGP-COTA track marshals abandon post urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 04-15-2015 02:36 PM
Dry, cool weather heading into weekend; wet weather by Sunday NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 03-06-2015 04:00 PM
Triple back flip - scares me and I am fearless grsa Off Topic 28 05-29-2011 08:49 PM
SPIED: Our Fearless Leader... at it again. BigComfy Off Topic 8 05-27-2011 02:44 PM
Old 05-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
SBN Bus Driver
Texas94fs's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Under a bridge
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 3,340

Trackdays: 5

2006 Triumph Thruxton

Member Garage

I ride pretty much anytime unless its going to be raining and cold. If i know its going to catch me on the way in to work i also just take the truck. Working and trying to dry out just isn't fun. I don't go for pleasure cruises when its going to rain but if i have to get around town/run some errands then a little rain I don't mind.
If I was superman and could fly. . . I'd still take my cycle.
"What are you rebelling against?"
"What've you got?"

April 2009 BOTM
Texas94fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Hook 'em!
Bevo's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 26,816

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

I keep rain gear at work just in case
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
JMAC's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,906


40% chance of rain is 60% chance it won't, saddle up and ride
JMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
Charliebrown's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: pasadena
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 5,918

Experience: 4 years


when i rode, i would ride in everything.
i dont care.
Rest in Peace Matt.
Charliebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Most northern tip of the southside
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 20,878

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
cdill35's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,654

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Fair weather buddy. I aint waddin my up when I can't even go fast.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
spring r1
Senior Member
spring r1's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: spring
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,012

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 2

07 r1
04gsxr600 track

fair weather also..........if i get caught out in it so be it but if i know its going to rain bike stays parked..........
spring r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
Forest Gnome Tour Guide
CaligoneTx's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Valhalla
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 21,558

Experience: 10+ years

Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
If four wheels it not enough, go with two.
If two isnt enough do it at night.
If night isnt enough do it when cold.
If cold isnt enough do it during showers.

I like to ride.
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
R.I.P. Coach....
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Nawf ' Side
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 92

Experience: 8 years

02 cbr 954rr

Send a message via Yahoo to blaqqwarrior
Rain? Whats that?
blaqqwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
Custom User Title
spartandude's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere near houston, ish.
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,947

Experience: 4 years

750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Rain, snow, sleet, hail, T-storm, etc. I sound like a mailman. Rain gear FTW.
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
official thread ender.
Join Date: May 2009
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,476

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

yup. i enjoy riding in the rain. EVERY trip is a new experience that i can notch up too.

been riding in rain since 92', it's still a learning session that NEVER ends. just like normal dry riding. if you dont ride in the rain, then you lose out on quality experience on your bikes characteristics. (and your skills in the wet.)

i feel safer with my riding skills in the wet, compared to a car in the dry.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
good eenin *****es
OMEGA's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: se houston
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 7,971

Experience: 6 years

2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

when my bike was my only means of transport i used to just suck it up. i dont think i would ever ride like that again , was fun for a bit but that trend grew old real fast

OMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
I'm awesome, mom said so
GSXR_911's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 376

Experience: 4 years

2008 GSX-R750 Black/Black

Since I'm still inexperienced I only ride fair weather, I'll catch the weather on the news in the morning to decide if its ride to work or take the truck. Besides I like the feeling of enjoying the ride and not have the added stress of not sliding everywhere. Houston drivers can barely drive when the street is dry, much less any moisture on the road.
I only go after the BIG busts
GSXR_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston&Minneapolis
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,390

2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #16
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip
Scorpio's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Shmearth
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 12,334

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
the rain.
I like keeping my clean.
Ohh, and I don't feel good flogging it in the rain.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #17
Whats the "Dragon"
DLSGAP's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midlothian, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 388

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

'11 FZ8

riding in the rain is kinda like a fat chick...I'll do it... but i prefer other options

"If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do for you "
DLSGAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #18
Senior Member
gixxerbill's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 9,724

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Originally Posted by JMAC View Post
40% chance of rain is 60% chance it won't, saddle up and ride
you sound like dave from ridesmart.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #19
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>
Guitar Man's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Fookin Caney
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,279

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

My bike is my main form of transportation. I used to ride no matter what, but after dinging my rims in a pothole that I didn't see because of the rain I have started to pay more attention to the forcasts and the roads that I'm on. 30 or 40% chance of showers don't bother me. But I pretty much quit here recently riding in downpours.
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 22,000 miles.U.S.: AL, AK, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, ID, KS, LA, MS, MT, NV, NM, NC, OK, OR, TN, TX, UT, WA, WY. Canada: AB, BC, YT.
Guitar Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #20
Join Date: Sep 2008
Feedback Rating: (12)
Posts: 8,303

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

All weather, hot, cold, rain, fog etc....

I really have second thoughts leaving at 5 am when it's raining and 40*F or
less but other then that I'm fair game.

Remember that hella storm that came through Houston about a month and
change ago around 7:30 - 8:00 PM....

I worked late and everyone thought I was crazy taking my scooter home.

Screw it, I'll dry out.

Of corse I was starting to have second thoughts on 517 in the middle of
nowhere with a steady 45mph side wind and rain so hard I could only see
50' or so. Never got over 40 mph all the way home. BUT, when I made it
home I was thinking... bunch a ...

(Plus when you show up or leave work in the middle of a tornado it gives
most of your fellow employees pause at the thought that you may actually
be psychotic)

Seriously though, I actually enjoy riding in the rain more then in the dry.
It keeps my mind occupied.
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM. is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy