MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
classala
3-Lap Rider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i
Triumph Daytona 675

Forecasting/managing track riding costs

Track riding is an expensive sport. By managing my track riding costs I get to plan out and forecast what track days I'll be doing. Since I'm very methodical, I decided to turn my approach into a system.

classala is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forecasting the Texans offensive... NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 08-03-2017 09:21 AM
18-year-old photographer managing... NewsBot Health 0 05-04-2016 02:10 PM
Q&A: Expert's tips for getting out of debt and managing your money NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 02-17-2016 09:00 PM
Arthur ushering in a new era in storm surge forecasting NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 07-02-2014 01:50 PM
Thinking about managing a fireworks stand... nihaikitty Off Topic 20 06-04-2009 10:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
IPMAN

Idea, since you write everything down you could also write down how many laps you got to do each session (clean ones without flags) and then afterwards you can see what your cost per lap was and determine if it was a good spend for the day.

Time is money!
IPMAN -Owner and Operator 3:16 Trackdays
https://316trackdays.com

CMRA #317 (316 was taken this year)

John 3:16 "For So Loved the world that he gave is one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life"

2012 RSV4 Factory Track Bike
2017 Aprilia Tuono Street
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A Street
Kawasaki Z125 - Silly Fun Bike
IPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i
Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPMAN View Post
Idea, since you write everything down you could also write down how many laps you got to do each session (clean ones without flags) and then afterwards you can see what your cost per lap was and determine if it was a good spend for the day.

Time is money!
Noted.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:00 AM   #4
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

I use to just write how many miles I'd put on the bike during the day.

I stopped becuase it just got me depressed to keep track of how few miles I was getting elsewhere after having done my first few track days with Buck Beasley's group, 30 min private sessions at MSRH. Was a bit bummed when he stopped organizing them but glad to see another giving it a go, and for not too much more than what we are up to now anyway.

On the costs, I think you may have missed the consumables, tire's, fuel, oil, etc. I figure those gonna cost you 100$ to put aside each time out. Rolled up is about $300 for each track day in town. That is other than riding the minis at cart track which is about half that. So it's true what they say, half the price twice the fun.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
88millimeter

It is for this very reason that i bought a supermoto and started riding at speedsportz in new caney, half the cost, two to three times the time on track, and less risk if i crash.
88millimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #6
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i
Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
I use to just write how many miles I'd put on the bike during the day.

I stopped becuase it just got me depressed to keep track of how few miles I was getting elsewhere after having done my first few track days with Buck Beasley's group, 30 min private sessions at MSRH. Was a bit bummed when he stopped organizing them but glad to see another giving it a go, and for not too much more than what we are up to now anyway.

On the costs, I think you may have missed the consumables, tire's, fuel, oil, etc. I figure those gonna cost you 100$ to put aside each time out. Rolled up is about $300 for each track day in town. That is other than riding the minis at cart track which is about half that. So it's true what they say, half the price twice the fun.
Thanks for the feedback.

I have "fuel" there, as I know I spend about 15 bucks on a given day. For tires, oil, etc., it gets a little more complicated, but I'll be adding that to the system as well, along with maintenance logs for the bikes.

I'll soon get into riding minis at the cart track, too.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #7
DaveF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88millimeter View Post
It is for this very reason that i bought a supermoto and started riding at speedsportz in new caney, half the cost, two to three times the time on track, and less risk if i crash.
What did you buy? When is Speedsportz open to bikes? Is it crowded?

Thanks man,
Dave
DaveF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #8
88millimeter

I bought a ktm 500 exc that came with sumo setup. Speedsportz charges $70 a day, they’ll let you out on the big track pretty much any day except race weekends. Next race weekend is this weekend. Buddy and i are planning to go next weekend 23rd and get our money’s worth by making a whole day of it but honestly last time we went i was exhausted after 3 hours. We had the track all to ourselves and when you can go all out with no traffic you get tired quick.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:39 PM   #9
testiesalmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88millimeter View Post
I bought a ktm 500 exc that came with sumo setup. Speedsportz charges $70 a day, they’ll let you out on the big track pretty much any day except race weekends. Next race weekend is this weekend. Buddy and i are planning to go next weekend 23rd and get our money’s worth by making a whole day of it but honestly last time we went i was exhausted after 3 hours. We had the track all to ourselves and when you can go all out with no traffic you get tired quick.
So they aren't that firm on the 450 capacity restriction?
testiesalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #10
88millimeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by testiesalmon View Post
So they aren't that firm on the 450 capacity restriction?
No

Advertisement