MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Would you like to have a motorcycle repair cooperative in Houston?
Yes, and I would definitely go. 4 44.44%
Yes, but I'm not sure I would go. 2 22.22%
No, because I need further information. 0 0%
No, there's no need for it. 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
MotorBikeFarm
Democracy, Co-Ops, MCs

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Poll: Interest in a motorcycle repair co-op

Hey, everyone. I'm an old reg, returned to gauge interest in a motorcycle repair co-op, like www.bikefarm.org but for motorcycles.

Bike Farm basically is a big bike shop in Portland, OR where you can pay a very small amount to bring your bicycle in and use their space/tools/volunteers/used parts at little to no cost. They also fix old bikes to sell in their shop to help pay the bills and have a constant supply of training opportunities for volunteers.

Motor Bike Farm would be that, but for motorcycles. It would be a great way to learn M/C maintenance/repair and build a strong face to face community of motorcycle enthusiasts who like to volunteer for the greater good (the best kind of bikers IMO.)

I think this could be done fairly cheaply and have a great positive impact for local bikers. I think it could be done for under a million dollars, which could easily be spread out to under $100 per Houston area biker if this was crowdfunded. Maybe it could be started for roughly $500k in donations and then build funding from there through membership fees and selling repaired donation motorcycles and parts. That would only require 1000 people chipping in $500 (for a lifetime membership), or 10k people throwing in $50 (year membership.)

I know this might sound a bit pie in the sky, but, since seeing the magic that is Bike Farm, its something I have been thinking about for a while and would just like to hear other people's informed thoughts about the need for such a place and see what the polling bears out. Thanks for your time!
MotorBikeFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle Jacket Repair Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 02-01-2018 08:48 AM
Mobile Motorcycle Repair yellowspeed108 How To's and Q & A's 4 07-06-2016 11:02 AM
Motorcycle repair shop, SW Side? midnight_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 04-26-2013 08:57 AM
motorcycle repair travisgdawg General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 10-23-2005 09:50 PM
motorcycle repair travisgdawg General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 10-22-2005 03:06 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650
cb300
fz1
vstrom
vfr800

Member Garage

if it was in the northside, like spring or the woodlands, i'd be down for $50. also, with it being houston, i'd be worried about having my stuff stolen. security would be a concern. would projects be kept on site, or is this more of a haul it to there and back to the house each time you work on it? i would really love to have a big shop and a few good brains to get good direction from, bounce ideas off of, or learn from. I have just built my own little ramshackle bike shed out at my house. i'm hoping to get a small AC on the cheap, and hopefully a cheap POS to play with as well.

tldr, i like this idea, but want to hear more, see concepts, etc.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 PM   #3
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Good idea. Coworker of mine talks about local machine shop he goes to that stays open in evenings and basically rents out their shop. They offer tutorials and memberships for ordinary people to have access to learn and build things they otherwise couldn’t. He said it’s generally referred to as “Makerspace” and there’re are labs across the city which cover various trades. This could be motorcycle lab. I’d think it would be good idea to tap into that growing movement by linking it to a Makerspace co-share program. I’ve been interested in checking it out for what’s already out there. This would be a nice addition.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #4
MotorBikeFarm
Democracy, Co-Ops, MCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
if it was in the northside, like spring or the woodlands, i'd be down for $50. also, with it being houston, i'd be worried about having my stuff stolen. security would be a concern. would projects be kept on site, or is this more of a haul it to there and back to the house each time you work on it? i would really love to have a big shop and a few good brains to get good direction from, bounce ideas off of, or learn from. I have just built my own little ramshackle bike shed out at my house. i'm hoping to get a small AC on the cheap, and hopefully a cheap POS to play with as well.

tldr, i like this idea, but want to hear more, see concepts, etc.
i don't have the details figured out to that extent quite yet, but i don't see why projects couldn't be kept on site. theft would be a concern that would have to be addressed, wherever it may be. another idea is we could rent out trailers for hauling them, so its easier to use the shop and you can decide if you want to leave it or not.

thanks for your feedback
Old 06-18-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
MotorBikeFarm
Democracy, Co-Ops, MCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
Good idea. Coworker of mine talks about local machine shop he goes to that stays open in evenings and basically rents out their shop. They offer tutorials and memberships for ordinary people to have access to learn and build things they otherwise couldn’t. He said it’s generally referred to as “Makerspace” and there’re are labs across the city which cover various trades. This could be motorcycle lab. I’d think it would be good idea to tap into that growing movement by linking it to a Makerspace co-share program. I’ve been interested in checking it out for what’s already out there. This would be a nice addition.
there are lot of makerspaces in Portland as well, and yeah they're really cool! the 'hackerspaces' typically have stuff like 3d printers and lots of interesting computer and electronic equipment. and i totally agree that makerspaces would be a good ally! as would any group that is concerned with traffic (since more motorcycles = less traffic)
Old 06-19-2019, 07:15 AM   #6
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

This kind of setup works well in San Francisco, CA.
You can rent a bay with the most common tools and you even can ship out parts and tires there, so when you get there to fix your bike, it's all there at the shop.
There's also a professional mechanic and specific tools that you can rent by the hour as well.
I got frustrated with the shops around not performing at the level I expected, and I end up buying all kinds of tools and books so now I do everything myself.

They say if you built it... they will come... I wish you good luck!
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #7
MotorBikeFarm
Democracy, Co-Ops, MCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
This kind of setup works well in San Francisco, CA.
You can rent a bay with the most common tools and you even can ship out parts and tires there, so when you get there to fix your bike, it's all there at the shop.
There's also a professional mechanic and specific tools that you can rent by the hour as well.
I got frustrated with the shops around not performing at the level I expected, and I end up buying all kinds of tools and books so now I do everything myself.

They say if you built it... they will come... I wish you good luck!
Nice! I'm guessing this is the SF shop https://www.motoguild-sf.com

I haven't heard about this. Will definitely look into it! Thanks!

Advertisement