MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2019, 08:22 AM   #41
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2002 Yamaha WR250
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

At some point people need to get out to the track to learn to be a faster rider in more of a "safe" environment. The streets aren't a good place to learn and make mistakes.

Keith's rides always have enough pace to have fun on. Plus, his rides aren't just about speeding through corners. It's about the camaraderie.

I will also say Keith is one of the best if not THE best ride leader I've ever had the pleasure to ride with.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ride leader needed for COTA for This weeks MotoGP viewing party Solracer Events, Meets and Rides 9 04-11-2017 08:43 AM
Need a group ride leader for your private group? The Morganator Events, Meets and Rides 105 03-15-2016 11:06 PM
Applications being accepted for HPD's youth advisory council NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 09-05-2013 01:40 PM
Safe Ride Leader (SRL) Nomination Mala Lingua General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 02-07-2012 01:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #42
Suziejee

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX_713 View Post
Iím the same way. I like to ride in the back of the pack for the same reasons. You can always hang back and blast the curve how you see fit. Just once did I get stuck behind a total noob rider and ended up right on her back tire. Even then I like to keep those newer riders in my rear view
Sorry!! That was probably me! I usually try to stay in the back for that reason. I've gotten better about slowing down to much going into a curve around you guys. But now I'm catching myself doing the same thing about watching slower riders behind me.
Suziejee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #43
Hung
Yes that's my name.

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R
2007 Suzuki SV650
2013 Honda CBR250 Repsol (sold)
2010 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2002 Suzuki SV650N (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
At some point people need to get out to the track to learn to be a faster rider in more of a "safe" environment. The streets aren't a good place to learn and make mistakes.

Keith's rides always have enough pace to have fun on. Plus, his rides aren't just about speeding through corners. It's about the camaraderie.

I will also say Keith is one of the best if not THE best ride leader I've ever had the pleasure to ride with.
Slow is Fast. Smooth is Fast.

Chris has a solid point here. The people that are usually labeled as "fast" are the ones who have put in time, energy, effort, and resources to get to that level of comfort to ride that pace. Yes they may be on SS liter bikes so they're able to zip away, but I bet for most of them, it didn't start out that way. This is the fundamental lesson to take away from any group ride where you encounter new fellow motorcyclists. There are plenty of people in the fast group that worked their way there, and it all started from following someone like Keith, at a much slower pace.

Rule #1 always will be safety first.

Keith tries to instill SAFETY first, along with various other great lessons essential to group riding. This is what makes him a great ride leader. The whole duty is selfless, and when someone does crash because they did not respect the ride (or the bike), it takes a toll on the leader. I'm not even counting the 10-30+ people that have also joined your group ride that day and are now pulled over on the side of the single lane road because of an incident, in all their full gear, in 80-90+ degree weather. Ask yourself: "Was feeling fast worth it?" Being fast will never trump being safe for your own sake and the other riders with you.

No one cares if you're fast; they care if you crash.

If you ask anyone that you respect as a "fast" rider what is most important to them on these rides, they'll tell you to not crash and just make it back home safely. Don't get so caught up in counting the numbers and seeing if you can keep up doing double yellows or 20 over whites. They could care less if you dragged knee, beat your personal best top speed, lost traction on front or rear wheel because too hard of acceleration or braking late on our crappy roads. When you love motorsports, you realize that a group ride is a luxury to have. The fast AND slow guy alike understands this universal truth. You get to enjoy your investment, see some new roads/scenery, make some new friends, learn a lot about the hobby, and eat some delicious places you would have otherwise never stopped at.

Keith conducts this search for the community to benefit and thrive. My hope is that we all work together to continue to provide a safe place for riders of all types and experience to enjoy. That being said, I often times volunteer to lead and/or sweep his rides, and will continue to do so. It's an honor and a privilege that I am grateful for.
Hung is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #44
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2002 Yamaha WR250
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

Couldn't have said it better, Hung!
Old 05-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #45
The Morganator

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Thanks Chris and Hung for those compliments. Its an honor for me to be around so many good people every weekend.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #46
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

Yeah i completely agree with Hung and Chris.. that was everything i wanted to say from the heart..but was running low on ink. ..lol
Keep doing what you are doing Keith.
Liked this post:
Old 05-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #47
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ducati Monster 1200
Honda Grom

Fyi Hung is hung.....

Wink wink
Old 05-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #48
Toe
et vincere nemo dividat

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
Ducati multistrada
BMW k 1600 GTL exclusive :)

In for the forever SLOW group.

Less cattle guards in the slow group.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:47 PM   #49
The Morganator

Bike(s):
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
In for the forever SLOW group.

Less cattle guards in the slow group.
Toe your alive!!!!
Old 05-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #50
Santhosh

Bike(s):
2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2001 Honda Shadow 1100 - SOLD
2001 FZ1 - SOLD
2015 FZ09 -Sold
1990 Kinetic Honda

Well said Hung. Keith thanks for the rides. If you are leading the slow group then you can't ride the Tuono. All Tuono belong to fast group except Kenneth. Slow group needs a dedicated camera man.
Santhosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #51
ducdodgers
more torque please

Bike(s):
1098 ducati 2008
CBR 1000 RR 2004
1999 yamaha R1 $old
1989 honda huricane $old

Just my 2 cents after reading the first half of the posts. I have followed many poeple on this forum at some point or another.. when talking of forming a "faster group", and mentioning cornering in the same sentance, only a small handfull of people i have seen actually have a higher corner speed than keith on the road when leading (track may be another story) seems forming a fast group would be mainly for people who want to go faster in a strait line.... on another note it is weird how it makes someone feel like they know what there doing when they can go out in a strait line.. but i guess everyone has there own way of getting there thrills...... i think this post was started just so Keith could have somthing to read while sitting on the toilet. So here's to you Keith.. a little more to add to the funny papers
ducdodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-10-2019, 01:20 AM   #52
The Morganator

Bike(s):
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducdodgers View Post
Just my 2 cents after reading the first half of the posts. I have followed many poeple on this forum at some point or another.. when talking of forming a "faster group", and mentioning cornering in the same sentance, only a small handfull of people i have seen actually have a higher corner speed than keith on the road when leading (track may be another story) seems forming a fast group would be mainly for people who want to go faster in a strait line.... on another note it is weird how it makes someone feel like they know what there doing when they can go out in a strait line.. but i guess everyone has there own way of getting there thrills...... i think this post was started just so Keith could have somthing to read while sitting on the toilet. So here's to you Keith.. a little more to add to the funny papers
What possibly gave you that idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DD8B436C-44DD-4851-B64F-43BAB0F379B5.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	103717  

Last edited by The Morganator; 05-10-2019 at 01:23 AM.
The Morganator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:11 AM   #53
Ducati_1299

Bike(s):
2017 1299S Anniversario

May be there's a possibility to split the groups, one for fast pace and one for slow pace, having 2 leaders. I would be interested in leading the slow pace group.
Ducati_1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #54
HaywoodJablomi
Teh Angry Asian

Bike(s):
2006 zx10r blew that up
2013 zx14r The beast mode bike
2007 Hayabusa The Here I am officer bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morganator View Post
I agree 100%...thats why it will be up to the (experienced) leader of the group to decide who goes in the faster group or stays in the slower group. Iíve had several comments from my regulars that ride in the fast group telling me that some didnt belong there. If there feelings are hurt if there asked to go back to the slower group it may be a life saver in disguise for them.
Which group should I stick my in
HaywoodJablomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #55
The Morganator

Bike(s):
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Quote: