MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
2009 Kawasaki Ninja EX250J

Member Garage

Question Tires for track day use only...

So I have been searching for reviews on tires almost endlessly. A lot of people are VERY brand loyal, but I want to be able to reasonably pay for tires that I'm literally going to trash afterwards. There are a lot of fair points about the compound makeup of each tire, especially when it is a street/track variant. But I have also been considering slicks as well.

Can anyone weigh in on their experiences with slicks? Are they pretty much the same across the board? Would you run Shinko? If not, why?

Btw, I am talking about new tires only, no take-offs talk please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track tires Ducsmine Taking it to the Track 4 08-23-2015 02:04 AM
Track tires (street tires exempt) Slovy Taking it to the Track 30 03-11-2013 03:37 PM
Cold Track, Green Track, Tire Warmers and Cold Tires... cdill35 Taking it to the Track 40 11-24-2008 10:48 PM
Track tires BigComfy General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 04-27-2008 02:34 PM
track tires EFmang Taking it to the Track 33 09-12-2006 02:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #2
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

For the ninja 250, just run what everyone in the endurance is running. Tires last a long time for that bike even with a fast rider it's not too bad. We never ran slicks on our race bikes. We just ran a race dot.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #3
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100

Member Garage

What are the cheapest race DOT's you've used and what are your thoughts on them?
Quote:
Quote:
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
Old 04-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #4
GABRIEL

I'm pretty sure we were running bridge stones but find out what they are running on the rest and I'm sure it's the same size tires. We always ran a 120 up front instead of the 110. Never really lost grip till the tire was cupped from over cooking them. But I'm the type of ride that will ride what ever is infront of me.
Liked this post:
Old 04-10-2021, 08:39 PM   #5
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
I'm pretty sure we were running bridge stones but find out what they are running on the rest and I'm sure it's the same size tires. We always ran a 120 up front instead of the 110. Never really lost grip till the tire was cupped from over cooking them. But I'm the type of ride that will ride what ever is infront of me.
I'm looking at either going with the RS10's or the Continental RaceAttack 2's.

I ain't gonna lie though, I did second look at the Shinko Apex tires because they were so dang cheap in price.
Quote:
Quote:
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
Old 04-10-2021, 08:48 PM   #6
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP DS FI Restomod
2008 BMW R1200GS
2015 Husqvarna FE 501

I would pass on the Shinko's. I would also pass on slicks. Just get you a nice set of DOTs. They last a lot longer than you think and they can be used on the street as well.

Quite frankly if you are a beginer, intermediate or even one of the slower "fast" riders, any brand is going to be fine for you. I would suggest talking to the various vendors at the next CMRA race weekend. You'll find each vendor representative has their own pros and cons. Talk to who you like, see who you get the best vibe from and use them.

I don't have anything negative to say about any of the tire vendors I dealt with. All are very hard-working stand-up people. Some just have various insights that you might like better than the others.
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-10-2021, 09:01 PM   #7
GABRIEL

Quote:
I'm sure the yamaha r3 is running the same size tire as you so you should be good with any tire any of those guys run.
Liked this post:
Old 04-10-2021, 11:10 PM   #8
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100

Member Garage

I am mainly asking because I thought I could squeeze out at least 6 or 7 track days from a set of new tires.

I've been spending money left and right on this bike and gear, so naturally I thought I would try to find a reasonably priced "good performance" tire... Which is why I'm asking what everyone is running and what their thoughts are.
Liked this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
2008 BMW R1200GS
2015 Husqvarna FE 501

Your mileage may vary, but what I remember is replacing a rear tire and leaving the front tire on so that the basic math works out to two rear tires per one front tire. With that idea in mind you can probably make the amount of days you're talking about.

I don't know anything about your riding pace, but you will also find that having a properly tuned suspension and using recommended tire pressures will help get more life out of your tires.

I realize you said you don't want to consider takeoffs, but if you think about it sort of in a reverse manner lots of people would buy takeoff tires and run them for two or three track days. So you may very well be able to get six or seven track days out of one brand new set.

One thing I can tell you for sure, in my time of instructing and really being involved in track days, I saw people constantly buy new tires when they could have gotten much more life out of them. It's funny what your mind will think and your point of reference, versus reality. Everybody thinks they're so fast and so good they've got to have the brand new tires. Unfortunately that only applies to a very small percentage of the really fast guys.

Last edited by Tojo92; 04-11-2021 at 09:58 AM.
Liked this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 10:07 AM   #10
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
Your mileage may vary, but what I remember is replacing a rear tire and leaving the front tire on so that the basic math works out to two rear tires per one front tire. With that idea in mind you can probably make the amount of days you're talking about.

I don't know anything about your riding pace, but you will also find that having a properly tuned suspension and using recommended tire pressures will help get more life out of your tires.

I realize you said you don't want to consider takeoffs, but if you think about it sort of in a reverse manner lots of people would buy takeoff tires and run them for two or three track days. So you may very well be able to get six or seven track days out of one brand new set.

One thing I can tell you for sure, in my time of instructing and really being involved in track days, I saw people constantly buy new tires when they could have gotten much more life out of them. It's funny what your mind will think and your point of reference, versus reality. Everybody thinks they're so fast and so good they've got to have the brand new tires. Unfortunately that only applies to a very small percentage of the really fast guys.
My only concern with take-offs are the unknowns of the previous owners heat cycling practices. I want to know for certain I am on a good set of tires, so I feel new tires will be the right direction to go for my peace-of-mind.

As for tire choice, I wanted to run RS10's, but all the places I've looked are sold out of the rears. I am price driven too, so it looks like I will use Michelin 2CT's for now until I source something better down the line.

Currently, the bike has some Supercorsa's on it... but I'm going to save those as a back up since they are a bit dated on the manufacture and the heat cycling is unkown.

I'm just trying to set up this bike correctly and learn everything on it, while I have to time to tinker on it freely. Luckily, I have good people to reach out to for advice and plenty of time before my track day.

As for suspension, Rod said I should try to trailer it to an event and see if I can get a tuner to dial it in. Depending on timing, I might be able to do that before my track date... otherwise I'll find someone the day of and get it tuned then.
Quote:
Quote:
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe

Last edited by flipstyledsm22; 04-11-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Liked this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #11
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
2008 BMW R1200GS
2015 Husqvarna FE 501

I think you missed my point about takeoffs. I understand why you don't want to use them, I'm suggesting tire life generally has much more remaining than people assume. That's why take offs are available and used by so many because they still have lots of life left. If you buy new, you should be able to make the timeline you're mentioning.

For suspension needs and possibly tires, reach out to P1 racing and John. He is in the Houston area and he always provides great service. He can help you with suspension as well.

Another option is to go to Motorcycles Unlimited and work with Patrick. Although he doesn't show up at the tracks, he has a great knowledge base and can help you with suspension as well.
Liked this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #12
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Dunlop I think has the best deal... buy a set and get a 2nd rear free... Q3's are great and last longer. Come to MSRH next round and I'll introduce you to some people
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 11:30 AM   #13
x-ray
TMGP/CMRA #228

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2006/2007 SV650S (My track toys)
2018 Grom (the little track toy)
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Quote:
I'm sure the yamaha r3 is running the same size tire as you so you should be good with any tire any of those guys run.
There are more tires sizes and types for the small bikes now than back when you guys ran the 250. Even in DOT and slicks there are 110 fronts that work better then the 120 on the small bikes and 140/150 size rear tires in multiple compounds.

The MotoAmerica spec Dunlop slicks are a 110/70 front and 140/70 rear for the lightweight bikes
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #14
x-ray
TMGP/CMRA #228

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2006/2007 SV650S (My track toys)
2018 Grom (the little track toy)
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Quote:
I think you missed my point about takeoffs. I understand why you don't want to use them, I'm suggesting tire life generally has much more remaining than people assume. That's why take offs are available and used by so many because they still have lots of life left. If you buy new, you should be able to make the timeline you're mentioning.

For suspension needs and possibly tires, reach out to P1 racing and John. He is in the Houston area and he always provides great service. He can help you with suspension as well.
yeah, people worry too much about heat cycles now. Tires aren't the same as they were 5-10 years ago. I'm going to have dunlop slick takeoffs for the R3/Ninja400 sized bikes and often they'll have more than half their life left and may only have 2-3 sessions on them. We'll discard them because even though they may have more than half their life left we don't want to use them and finish a race with them even barely starting to get worn out when you've spent a lot of time/money/sweat/tears to get there.
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 04:20 PM   #15
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100

Member Garage

Quote:

I get what you're saying, but I'm trying to start off fresh, with a machine I've gone completely through. This way I know where I stand after my 1st track day and so on. Trying to track my progression in terms of wear-and-tear and figure out a maintenance pattern eventually.

After reading more about Dunlop Q3+'s, I'm pretty much sold. Doesn't look like they will be changing much in the near future, so I think I can rely on consistency with their product. I know tire companies have come a long way in terms of the heat cycling, but until they outright say that's a thing of the past, I'm going to continue to track my heat cycles... this is just a personal preference.

Lots of good information guys! Thanks for weighing in on the subject
Quote:
Quote:
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
Liked this post:
Old 04-13-2021, 08:44 AM   #16
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
03 SV650 (race)
2007 KTM Super Duke
12 EX250R (race)
2001 Aprilia RSV Mille R (race)
14 MSX125

Run the Dunflops. You can do 6 or 7 track days on the DOT easy.

Like Essman said, 110 front is better for the 250. As far as slicks go, you may not be able to keep the heat in them so they may tear. DOTs are plenty sticky.

We used to do an 8 hour endurance on a set of Q3s, then the practice day before the next race. Dunlop rep will be at the next round, 23-25. Bring your wheels. Contract price is around $350 for DOTs, so you can probably buy your years worth of tires for less than $400. Make sure to ask for their pressure recommendation also
CMRA#59
Purple Helmets Endurance Team

Last edited by wiayeman; 04-13-2021 at 08:48 AM.
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-13-2021, 01:31 PM   #17
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
GSXR 1137cc Frankendragster (SOLD)
various other oil-cooled Suzukis
lots of dirt bikes

Member Garage

I'm currently running a Dunlop Q3+ on the rear and a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup up front, set at 28psi and 30 psi cold, respectively. They are great tires and stick very well, I broke loose the Q3 yesterday for a split second at H2R only because I was leaned over really far and gave a good bit of throttle over some really light dirt

I've ran a set of Pirelli Supercorsa's and those didn't break loose no matter what I did, but I was also a little slower when I ran those. I've ran several sets of Conti Sport Attack tires on my Bandit and I feel like they would hold up pretty well at a track day, they are super cheap for a set too. I went to tail of the dragon on a brand new set and they were perfect
Old 04-13-2021, 02:26 PM   #18
GABRIEL

Are those psi for the track or street? Seem a little high for track.

Advertisement