MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Why I'm on MH...
I have a motorcycle, but it is a garage queen. 8 17.39%
I own 1 or multiple. I ride. I track. I eat, sleep, and ride ! 24 52.17%
I have a motorcycle, but I need to unearth it from dust buildup. 6 13.04%
Sold it. Done with 2-wheels, but I'm here for the social aspect. 1 2.17%
Thinking about buying one, getting my feet wet by joining a motorcycle community first. 1 2.17%
I don't own one and don't intend on ever buying one either. I'm just here to socialize. 0 0%
Owned one once and there's still a possibility I might buy one again. 4 8.70%
I'm not sure why I joined a motorcycles forum... Why am I here? 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2020, 11:49 PM   #1
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1994 Honda Shadow VLX600
1985 Yamaha FJ1100
FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper - SOLD
1964 Tote Gote - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Houston 2-Wheel Culture Gone???

I'm curious to know how Houston is fairing in the motorcycle culture. A lot of members have slowed their activity due to subject matter (I'm guessing)...but I'm wondering if the interest of being on 2-wheels has just faded out all together. Additionally, has the market not been favorable for used bikes? Are bikes not affordable anymore for the young and budget savvy adrenaline junkies? How are you seeing the culture nowadays? What has changed so much, that people aren't riding/meeting like they use to?

The car/truck culture is strong in Houston. Street racing is still popular and car meets have always been (and still is) a popular tradition for Houston. I am pretty puzzled why the forum is dead? Since I've been living in California performing contract work, I joined a local motorcycle forum here. Their motorcycle community is very active, almost as active as MH used to be! Which leads me to believe there's still a chance MH can come back... It just needs a breath of fresh air.

Btw, I'm doing a poll above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Come celebrate Houston's rich diversity at the 'Black History Houston Culture Fest' t NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 02-13-2020 10:03 AM
17 pop culture icons having milestone... NewsBot Entertainment 0 01-04-2017 11:00 AM
5 must-see pop culture items from the... NewsBot Entertainment 0 07-21-2016 07:40 AM
Pop culture: What to get excited for in 2015 NewsBot Entertainment 0 01-06-2015 07:00 AM
The White Criminal Culture CBRguyIZcool Off Topic 4 08-08-2013 06:04 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2020, 12:22 AM   #2
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1994 Honda Shadow VLX600
1985 Yamaha FJ1100
1964 Tote Gote - SOLD

TBT!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
Old 04-09-2020, 02:17 AM   #3
TaiMc

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT

Member Garage

The motorcycle community is alive and well. There are many Houston motorcycle forums and clubs. I think that for this particular forum, participation has fallen off (no clue why, as I'm a newcomer on this forum myself). I don't think it's indicative of the rest of Houston motorcycle culture. I've been to some events and it's very much alive. However, the events I'm aware of were not publicized originally on this forum. It was by word of mouth. Also, the other forum I'm a part of is majorly current and participation is high. It is however, an international forum for all Ninja 400 riders. The website has also been updated. It could be bike-specific forums are booming here in Houston as well. I'm not sure.
Mods: Two Brothers Racing S1R Black Series:Carbon fiber Slip-on (Album), ZeroGravity Racing Corsa "Light Smoke" screen (Album), LED Glow lighting kit (green-16 strips, Album), Puig sport foot pegs:Green (Album), TechSpec USA tank grips (Album), Modified "trunk space" (Album); Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit (DIY Thread)/Album)
TaiMc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:42 AM   #4
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2 tricycle motors, no more bikes.

Member Garage

It's probably a part of the aging process here on MH. Not MH's age, but the OG members. Maybe I shouldn't say aging, but growing up? The OG's were mostly in their 20's or so during MH's start up circa 2005. We were all single people, moto's were life, it was easy to spend a few days working on bikes, a few days in a row riding, a day getting ready for the track, a day at the track, then two days to recover all while attending meets and post whoring all over MH.

Speaking for myself here of course, but I bet some others as well; 15 years after MH's beginning, it's all about our families now. We are married, have kids, we are more into our careers and not so much our previous day jobs. We watch politics and stock market now for crying out loud. The moto's sadly took a back seat and it went hand in hand with participating on MH.

That's my .02
YMMV
Old 04-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #5
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by matemike View Post
It's probably a part of the aging process here on MH. Not MH's age, but the OG members. Maybe I shouldn't say aging, but growing up? The OG's were mostly in their 20's or so during MH's start up circa 2005. We were all single people, moto's were life, it was easy to spend a few days working on bikes, a few days in a row riding, a day getting ready for the track, a day at the track, then two days to recover all while attending meets and post whoring all over MH.

Speaking for myself here of course, but I bet some others as well; 15 years after MH's beginning, it's all about our families now. We are married, have kids, we are more into our careers and not so much our previous day jobs. We watch politics and stock market now for crying out loud. The moto's sadly took a back seat and it went hand in hand with participating on MH.

That's my .02
YMMV

I think this is super well said.
less_than_coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1994 Honda Shadow VLX600
1985 Yamaha FJ1100
1964 Tote Gote - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMc View Post
The motorcycle community is alive and well. There are many Houston motorcycle forums and clubs. I think that for this particular forum, participation has fallen off (no clue why, as I'm a newcomer on this forum myself). I don't think it's indicative of the rest of Houston motorcycle culture. I've been to some events and it's very much alive. However, the events I'm aware of were not publicized originally on this forum. It was by word of mouth. Also, the other forum I'm a part of is majorly current and participation is high. It is however, an international forum for all Ninja 400 riders. The website has also been updated. It could be bike-specific forums are booming here in Houston as well. I'm not sure.
Good points you laid out. I think FB groups and other apps, have impacted the need to visit forums in general for meeting purposes. Could you post those other events on MH Events if you receive notification? Or are they "by invitation only"?

Quote:

That's my .02
YMMV
Nicely put, but the OG's are not the reason why the site is dead. There are plenty of riders out there and according to TaiMc the culture is very active. I don't get why the volumes had not spilled into MH, why moto content is still at a minimum, and sponsors are sparse?
Quote:
Quote:
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
Liked this post:
Old 04-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #7
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
kids. You should see my adult sized big wheel though! Mines in the garage, still for sale...and still in no hurry to sell it.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-09-2020, 09:18 PM   #8
Cello

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2019 Kaw Ninja 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Nicely put, but the OG's are not the reason why the site is dead. There are plenty of riders out there and according to TaiMc the culture is very active. I don't get why the volumes had not spilled into MH, why moto content is still at a minimum, and sponsors are sparse?
Maybe it's a recruitment thing? I randomly found the website because the guy I was buying my boots from mentioned it when I said I had just bought my bike.
Cello is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-09-2020, 10:52 PM   #9
Shuhboogie
and his limp member

Bike(s):
'73 CB350FOUR
'11 CBR250R (sold)
'14 Interceptor
'17 CRF250 Rally
'18 Goldwing Tour

I can't speak for anyone else but I am looking at MH daily. I typically don't log in but I'm lurking to see if there is any new content that peaks my interest. Unfortunately it's mostly Trump bashing and political debates it seems as of late. Which wisdom has taught me not to discuss the topics of politics or religion in any group setting.

As far as riding, I commute daily on my bikes and ride on the weekends as well. Even if it's only to the store and back.
A lot of interest in group settings or meets was lost for me when Tmax passed. And again with the loss of Pester.
So I typically ride alone or meet with a small specific group of people.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:52 PM   #10
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1 (Street Bike)
2017 Honda Grom
2008 Yamaha R6 (Race Bike)

Member Garage

Facebook is a big factor as why MH isnt "popping" as it was back in the day.

Its easier to post photos and videos, invite certain groups of people, share other information, and make your own group if you so chose.

People are on Facebook all day. I know I am. lol

Forums still have their place, there is still some anonymity that you cant really get on Facebook, there is the search function that can help you research topics talked about for YEARS. You can't do that on Facebook.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:54 PM   #11
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1 (Street Bike)
2017 Honda Grom
2008 Yamaha R6 (Race Bike)

Member Garage

Also, many OG's have moved on from motorcycles. Some are actually finding their way back.

Some have passed on.
Some have "grown up".
Some are more focused on families now.

Life happens.

This new generation also don't care to learn how to use a forum. They feel they are archaic lol.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #12
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000

Rabble rabble!

I like it here. Think Iĺll stay a spell. Thanks again for the playground Chris.
less_than_coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-09-2020, 11:19 PM   #13
ninenine
cmra expert#99

Bike(s):
2018 YZF-R6
2017 YZF-R3

MH is still a place I will always call home. I’ve met some people on this forum that are lifelong friends and had some really good memories.

Chris hit the nail on the head-fb and OG members focusing on other things in life.

I don’t post often, but always lurking.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:Ready Garage,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Moul, Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Superbike Unlimited, CoreMoto, Alpinestars, BlueCru, Armour Bodies, RES
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #14
TaiMc

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Good points you laid out. I think FB groups and other apps, have impacted the need to visit forums in general for meeting purposes. Could you post those other events on MH Events if you receive notification? Or are they "by invitation only"?

I'm not on FB...I got rid of that years ago lol. However, the events that I was notified about, I did post them on this forum.
Mods: Two Brothers Racing S1R Black Series:Carbon fiber Slip-on (Album), ZeroGravity Racing Corsa "Light Smoke" screen (Album), LED Glow lighting kit (green-16 strips, Album), Puig sport foot pegs:Green (Album), TechSpec USA tank grips (Album), Modified "trunk space" (Album); Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit (DIY Thread)/Album)
Liked this post:
Old 04-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #15
TaiMc

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:

That's my .02
YMMV
This is a good response...I think it does explain things quite accurately.

As for me, I've never been married and do not have any children. So, I do have MUCH time to ride, and post on forums, and do other "Me and bike" things, which I rather enjoy.

Good post.
Liked this post:
Old 04-10-2020, 07:48 PM   #16
Cascade67

Bike(s):
MV Agusta Brutale Dragster RR
Moto Guzzi V7 III Special

Older rider here, modification: I do not track. But I ride, and I ride a lot in Houston.
This forum seems to have made a culture shift to more mature, more respectful.

My biggest concern with Corona: world wide economic struggles-- manufacturers and dealers shuttering. There will be fewer companies making bikes, very few dealers and support and mechanics and parts very hard to find. It is not going to be pretty.
Cascade67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-11-2020, 06:47 AM   #17
SilverBullet

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200EXC
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascade67 View Post
Older rider here, modification: I do not track. But I ride, and I ride a lot...
This forum seems to have made a culture shift to more mature, more respectful...
I agree with this and what others have said. And when more mature, more respectful becomes the standard here then the youngsters don't want anything to do with this forum.

Similar to the evolution on social media, younger generation is quickest to jump ship and not look back. messageboards>chatrooms>My Space >Facebook >Instagram >Twitter>Snap chat >Tik tok >etc. > etc.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-13-2020, 09:09 AM   #18
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I check in on the site almost daily, at least during the week.
A lot of the folks I know have moved on, in this world or the next.
I am 70 this year an still own 6 motorcycles but they are mostly dust collectors now.
I had some health issues that made me stop racing and doing track days in my mid-60's
I could still ride but racing and track days are likely just a fond memory...
I moved out of downtown about 4, almost 5 years ago so I would not likely come into town for meets, but I did enjoy going to them and meeting to watch the races at the different sports bars ... some of the old heads that I used to have so much fun are arguing with (good natured) are no longer around...I really miss old Bill embarrassing me when we were on the same side of an argument....
not people post on here who would even know me anymore... but I still have a look everyday
Old 04-13-2020, 09:51 AM   #19
ninenine
cmra expert#99

Bike(s):
2018 YZF-R6
2017 YZF-R3

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
I check in on the site almost daily, at least during the week.
A lot of the folks I know have moved on, in this world or the next.
I am 70 this year an still own 6 motorcycles but they are mostly dust collectors now.
I had some health issues that made me stop racing and doing track days in my mid-60's
I could still ride but racing and track days are likely just a fond memory...
I moved out of downtown about 4, almost 5 years ago so I would not likely come into town for meets, but I did enjoy going to them and meeting to watch the races at the different sports bars ... some of the old heads that I used to have so much fun are arguing with (good natured) are no longer around...I really miss old Bill embarrassing me when we were on the same side of an argument....
not people post on here who would even know me anymore... but I still have a look everyday
I remember you old man! Hope all has been well? Where did you move to?
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:Ready Garage,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Moul, Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Superbike Unlimited, CoreMoto, Alpinestars, BlueCru, Armour Bodies, RES
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-13-2020, 09:55 AM   #20
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
15 GROM
17 FZ10

I'm 46.... I am responsible for others now ..... so less time to be irresponsible. Main reason the bike is mostly a garage queen (even when I am in Houston). I ride every other week.
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement