MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Articles
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Article Article Tools
Old
Oil Boiler
Erik Buell Racing Shut Down
by blensen 04-15-2015, 01:54 PM

http://thekneeslider.com/erik-buell-racing-closes-down/
Views 8576 Comments 32
Total Comments 32

Comments

Old 01-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #21
B1g_Bird

Feedback Rating: (0)

I really love the 1125r (with scorpion head)
Just a beautiful bike, and love the sound
B1g_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #22
Jclark

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR
2013 Triumph 675R (Track)

Stole this from another forum. My sentiments exactly:

I figured at at some point he/they would realize "it's made in America" isn't enough. We want good, quality, competitive, cool .

Perhaps if he would stop trying to be different, stop trying to reinvent the wheel, and stop trying to push his ideas into the market, he might be successful.

Get rid of that motor, lose that single rotor system, put on a normal frame with the gas where it goes, etc.

BMW has all kinds of weird motors and suspension designs. Then it came time to build a Sportbike and what did they do...they went with an I4 with conventional brakes and suspension.

He is trying to target a demographic that expects and can easily get a bike with a reliable 190hp, Brembo brakes, IMU based electronics, and Ohlins suspension...that is capable of being competitive year after year, without a leak or blown motor.

I applaud his efforts and want to see him succeed, but people aren't going to buy a lesser and different bike, just because it is made in America.

Stop trying to be different for the sake of being different. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and give us an American version of the R1 or Panigale.
Jclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #23
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalias View Post
have you ridden a lot of them?
yes, enough to know it is trash, and not worth owning. Which is what the entire moto market thought as well.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #24
LostArtist

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jclark View Post
Stole this from another forum. My sentiments exactly:

I figured at at some point he/they would realize "it's made in America" isn't enough. We want good, quality, competitive, cool .

Perhaps if he would stop trying to be different, stop trying to reinvent the wheel, and stop trying to push his ideas into the market, he might be successful.

Get rid of that motor, lose that single rotor system, put on a normal frame with the gas where it goes, etc.

BMW has all kinds of weird motors and suspension designs. Then it came time to build a Sportbike and what did they do...they went with an I4 with conventional brakes and suspension.

He is trying to target a demographic that expects and can easily get a bike with a reliable 190hp, Brembo brakes, IMU based electronics, and Ohlins suspension...that is capable of being competitive year after year, without a leak or blown motor.

I applaud his efforts and want to see him succeed, but people aren't going to buy a lesser and different bike, just because it is made in America.

Stop trying to be different for the sake of being different. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and give us an American version of the R1 or Panigale.
I agree with this part of your statement

"He is trying to target a demographic that expects and can easily get a bike with a reliable 190hp, Brembo brakes, IMU based electronics, and Ohlins suspension...that is capable of being competitive year after year, without a leak or blown motor."

his big following was in the Adventure market after the success of the Ulysses. but his ego about racing made him put out a $40K race bike first instead, I kinda knew then that this wasn't going to last.

however I highly applaud his efforts of being different for the sake of being different. Just not at the superbike level, it's too competitive there, everyone wants the best everything in a superbike. and that's totally fine, but it's hard to do that on limited capital without a steady, secure stream of income to subsidize a racing team that can actually compete. I'm not a racer so that's not for me.

But I love things that are a little off standard, I think uniqueness has a value. not a $13,000 value though.

seriously though, what's wrong with the Rotax v-twin motor EBR was using??? Ducati and KTM both use a V-Twin, I even think KTM gets their's from Rotax.

I've hear complaints about the single rotor warping and causing other issues, but that's at a race level issue, I've already said that going in at that level was a mistake, but I don't know if for everyday uses that single rotor really caused much of an issue beyond normal wear and tear.

Did the gas in the frame make it handle badly in racing? like with rapid direction changes or something?

IDK, I was hoping they'd make it long enough to put out a sub $10k bike that I could seriously consider, I know I could buy any number of leftover bikes for under $10k from a lot of places, but I'm short and I can't do the current models, well maybe the Black Lightning, but I guess I'll never know now. well, never say never I guess.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #25
Jclark

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostArtist View Post
I agree with this part of your statement

his big following was in the Adventure market after the success of the Ulysses. but his ego about racing made him put out a $40K race bike first instead, I kinda knew then that this wasn't going to last.

seriously though, what's wrong with the Rotax v-twin motor EBR was using??? Ducati and KTM both use a V-Twin, I even think KTM gets their's from Rotax.

I've hear complaints about the single rotor warping and causing other issues, but that's at a race level issue, I've already said that going in at that level was a mistake, but I don't know if for everyday uses that single rotor really caused much of an issue beyond normal wear and tear.
You think his big following was from the adventure market? No way. They built 7,422 Ulysses....total. They built 3x as many of those little POS Blasts. Erik Buell's pedigree was always racing, hence the name "EBR". He set out to make race bikes.

The KTM RC8 was canned and Ducati has announced that the Panigale replacement will be a V-4. We are at the limits of the twin. The Rotax for sure was if you followed WSBK. It was embarrassing.

The ZTL2 braking system sucks on the street too.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #26
LostArtist

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jclark View Post
You think his big following was from the adventure market? No way. They built 7,422 Ulysses....total. They built 3x as many of those little POS Blasts. Erik Buell's pedigree was always racing, hence the name "EBR". He set out to make race bikes.

The KTM RC8 was canned and Ducati has announced that the Panigale replacement will be a V-4. We are at the limits of the twin. The Rotax for sure was if you followed WSBK. It was embarrassing.

The ZTL2 braking system sucks on the street too.
yes, his big following was in the Adv bike segment, lots of praise for the Uly there, the racing market was never accepting of Buells, and for good reason

again, I agree with you that racing isn't EBR's strong suit. He couldn't let that go and he should have.

I'm going to take your word for it that the ZTL2 system wasn't good for whatever reason, but they would have had to updated it big time for ABS if they would have continued much farther.

they just kept slipping down the technology curve and in sport biking, that's not good, but, in middle grade bikes it's not nearly as big of a deal.

IMO, EBR bikes were one of the few sport bikes with character, maybe some other Euro bikes, yes character = quirks and oddities

just because a bike isn't good at racing doesn't make it a bad bike.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:49 PM   #27
Jclark

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati 1299S
2009 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostArtist View Post

just because a bike isn't good at racing doesn't make it a bad bike.
In my opinion, if the word "racing" is in the company name, the bikes should at least be mediocre at just that.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #28
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
fz1
vstrom
vfr
cbr250r
SV650

Member Garage

i had heard that EBR was purchased by cleveland cyclewerks about a day after they were bought by the liquidation company. i dont know the details, but if ebr and ccw can work together, they could make some nice looking, fun bikes...

... but i'm an optimist
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #29
Toe
et vincere nemo dividat

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
Ducati multistrada