MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1994 Honda Shadow VLX600
FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper - SOLD
1964 Tote Gote - SOLD
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Exclamation Ride Smarter During The COVID-19 Pandemic

Now that Houston is SIP. I thought I'd share a riding protocol that was posted on a local forum in my current area.

Link:https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/f...d.php?t=542194

There are additional information from medical professionals on the link above, if anyone is curious to what we are experiencing in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman
Hello BARF Community.

I felt that a reach out during the 19 pandemic was good. We have seen a lot of threads about riding during the Shelter at Home orders.

It has a few folks at odds and I wanted to share my view on the situation. As part of this I have reached out to Dr_SLO our Virologist from Stanford that has been sharing information so graciously with us. Thanks man. Also I also have reached out to some folks that are on the front lines so to speak of dealing with the virus in different capacities.

Right now this is my take. It is an official BARF suggestion for you to consider. We are not telling you what to do. We do hope you do the right thing for society. Butch often tells me we live at the center of the universe in the best of times. Right now we are in the center of California and for many of us the center of the outbreaks and these are not the best of times, but a lot of people are bringing their best to help us return to normal. Nobody know when that will be.

We know:
• The Governor has issued a Shelter in Place order for all of California. A good move IMO to try and stay on top of a huge cluster potential. California has been hit hard. I happen to live in Santa Clara County and we are number 1…in a bad way.

• Large amounts of people are dying in Italy right now and that issue is what the order is trying to prevent along with the hospital capacity being overwhelming. That has Italy in a truly difficult position. I feel for them deeply. I can only imagine. The scary part is we all may not have to imagine it.. it could be coming here.

• Medical staffs are strained and working their off trying to save lives and protect the rest of us who “may” contract the virus. Thank you all so much. Putting yourself at risk makes you all are hero’s to me.

• Police agencies are fighting through. Jails are basically shut down to any crime other than the most serious offenses. Several agencies are working to make sure businesses stay closed. They also are doing their job and I am grateful. Best wishes.. I am sure your families are worried about you too.

• Fire Departments are showing some 19 cases and if that continues to be the case some services may be at risk. Hang in there all.

So we all know the proper protocols .. wash hands, sanitize… The quarantine order is a lawful order and it is a misdemeanor to violate such an order. Enforcement of the quarantine order will vary by officer and department. Expect to be asked what you are doing if you get pulled over. Expect to get cited if you cannot answer the question properly, as in I work at the hospital or I am going to get food or… so with that said this is how I feel about this.

We have seen some folks going riding and that seems to be something that people are arguing over so I felt BARF should put out our suggestions.

1. Avoid group rides:
• The chances of an incident are increased in a group
• A group ride is NOT essential travel and will draw attention.
• First responders may be slow to respond.
• Any potential incidents can send you to the ER where staffs are being strained already.
• Going to the hospital may expose you to the virus.
• Exposure in general (just getting gas or food) may bring the virus home to those that you love.

2. Ride to work or to get essentials:
• If you are working riding to work it is certainly still viable.
• If it is your only means of travel then do it.
• Pay a bit more attention than maybe the empty roads would dictate. Also Caltrans is not as active as before and debris should be anticipated.
The Share the Lane and other messages on the Amber Alert signs are directed towards being smart about this situation.

3. Avoid Solo rides:
• First responders may be slow to respond.
• Any potential incidents can send you to the ER where staffs are being strained already.
• Going to the hospital may expose you to the virus.
• Exposure in general (just getting gas or food) may bring the virus home to those that you love.

4. A neighborhood short ride:
• Got to keep the bike cycling a little oil? Maybe a quick couple of blocks around the house is all that is necessary. Once every few weeks.
• More people are out walking. Be careful and considerate.

5. Riding Off Road:
Basically the same as solo rides except there will be rangers on site that can help to some degree. Not sure how the medical response times will be though. Parks remain open as of now. Given the chance to get hurt (at least the way I used to ride) warrants reconsidering it. I suggest taking a pass on it for now.

6. Trackdays:
Basically the same as solo rides except there will be medical response teams on hand. I know that TD vendors are taking extra steps to protect you from the virus. We will see if tracks remain open. Some are closed already. Again I suggest taking a pass on them for now.

Summary:
Please consider what is good for you, for your family and for society.

From a Barfer who is a hospital worker:

Quote:
This is a big deal and it will spread but the quarantine will help if people follow it. The virus has a long incubation period where symptoms don't show but you are a carrier and can spread it. So everyone should be acting both like they have it and don't wanna spread it and like everyone else has it and you don't want to catch it. Slowing the spread will make a big difference on how well hospitals are able to treat patients, how many supplies to go around for staff and patients, space for hospitals to have beds filled. Normally our hospital is fairly full, like a popular bar. Now picture the same bar on St. Paddy's day. It's nucking futs.
This is not the thread to argue about this. There are others where you can stand your ground whether it is for or against. I know the roads are open and it seems like an awesome time to go ride. I kind of had that mindset too, but the Statewide order has changed that. I think it is time to leave the bike in the garage except if it is your primary source of transportation. There is a good chance our first rally will be cancelled. We will determine that as we get closer.

I will add more info as we get other first responder takes.

Thanks for reading.
Stay healthy for yourself, family and society. That means not just riding for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote