MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Why I'm on MH...
I have a motorcycle, but it is a garage queen. 5 13.16%
I own 1 or multiple. I ride. I track. I eat, sleep, and ride ! 21 55.26%
I have a motorcycle, but I need to unearth it from dust buildup. 5 13.16%
Sold it. Done with 2-wheels, but I'm here for the social aspect. 1 2.63%
Thinking about buying one, getting my feet wet by joining a motorcycle community first. 1 2.63%
I don't own one and don't intend on ever buying one either. I'm just here to socialize. 0 0%
Owned one once and there's still a possibility I might buy one again. 4 10.53%
I'm not sure why I joined a motorcycles forum... Why am I here? 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #41
PimpRice
TEAM BLT

Feedback Rating: (4)

Send a message via AIM to PimpRice
Alot of valid points.

for me, it's most of the above. I lost touch with alot of people i met. We've all moved on and sold our bikes for houses, cars, and other necessities.

I stopped riding because drivers seemed to be getting worst. I got my first bike in 2005, and people weren't texting and driving. There were actually good times to ride. After 8pm, you could ride the streets without traffic and construction. Now, i still sit in traffic sometimes at 10pm.

Every once in a while, i'll get the itch, and look online for motorcycles, but i haven't seen in huge drastic improvements. The cbr's, R-line from Yamaha, and gsxr's haven't changed too much year over year. I'm also not interested in ABS, and traction control on my bike.
PimpRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Come celebrate Houston's rich diversity at the 'Black History Houston Culture Fest' t NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 02-13-2020 10:03 AM
17 pop culture icons having milestone... NewsBot Entertainment 0 01-04-2017 11:00 AM
5 must-see pop culture items from the... NewsBot Entertainment 0 07-21-2016 07:40 AM
Pop culture: What to get excited for in 2015 NewsBot Entertainment 0 01-06-2015 07:00 AM
The White Criminal Culture CBRguyIZcool Off Topic 4 08-08-2013 06:04 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2020, 04:33 PM   #42
asinop
asinop

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2017 Tiger 800 XRx
2018 BMW K1600GTL
A Schwinn...

Great thread everyone - I'll give you my take. Been on MH now for only 3-years. I rode just under 10K miles last year on 2 bikes and commute downtown 1-2 days a week. I also ride when the weather isn't perfect. Other than the Morganator events, there isn't a whole lot going on from my perspective. The Cyclebash's and regular meetups have stopped and that is a shame. I posted a couple of dealer ride-outs and others on the site, and no one seemed to be interested.

By contrast, I am on 3 meetup groups, BMW MOA, and Twtex, and find a lot more organized events and rides there. I also am on bike-specific groups to talk about mods, etc. So there is still a good bike community around Houston. I hope when the restaurants re-open, we'll have some Southeast meet-ups again to try to get more face time. I am not sure what the right thing is to improve MH, but more participation and some events seem to be a good direction to head.
asinop is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #43
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

Wait... I thought Motohouston was for life and the only way out was death?? Thats what Newrider and Rykoson told me after they told me after they jumped me in and made me get that MH tramp stamp
Old 05-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #44
Mustapha

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS
2001 Honda CBR600F4i

My general observations for why this place has become so quiet...forums like these are mainly used by Baby Boomers and Generation X whereas younger Millennials and Generation Z are on motorcycle communities on Reddit, Instagram, and Tik Tok. For the reasons mentioned, this demographic isn't active the way it used to be.

Second, talk to any motorcycle dealership in the US, UK, Germany, etc. They'll all say motorcycle sales are nowhere near what they used to be before the 2008-2010 Great Recession, and that the median age of motorcycle riders and customers is getting older and older. Most likely we're in the middle of a historic economic depression, so the already weakened motorcycle market is going to diminish even more.

The only places that are doing okay are Thailand, Indonesia, India, etc. There, people are still buying motorcycles -- although for commuter purposes and much less powerful engines.
Mustapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-31-2020, 12:16 AM   #45
upononer6

Bike(s):
2004 yamaha r6
2000 Honda XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Good points you laid out. I think FB groups and other apps, have impacted the need to visit forums in general for meeting purposes. Could you post those other events on MH Events if you receive notification? Or are they "by invitation only"?

Nicely put, but the OG's are not the reason why the site is dead. There are plenty of riders out there and according to TaiMc the culture is very active. I don't get why the volumes had not spilled into MH, why moto content is still at a minimum, and sponsors are sparse?
Trolls were allowed to troll, then when people got moderation got too strict. Now we have 90% of the threads made and spammed by AE accounts that break multiple rules and no one wants to interact with that . Horrible web hosting that takes minutes to load a page. Rode threads used to get flooded with talking. A certain member who can't be mentioned caused a WHOOOLE lot of drama and ran people off. Ive been here since 2006 and still read alot. I've been to alot of the old meets back in 06 and 07 mostly at ASI (OG's remember this place) but the stuff I mentioned is a pretty big turnoff. Social media has pretty much taken over forums. Life goes on.
upononer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-31-2020, 07:59 AM   #46
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

My life got interrupted badly by Harvey. House flooded, wound up moving into an apartment, bikes are in storage.
I still ride once a week or so but 2 of the 4 don't run and 1 needs more time than I have to be safe on the street.
The reason I don't post much is mostly because I get tired of politics and bashing the president. I was tired of people bashing Bush, I was tired of people bashing Obama and now I'm tired of people bashing Trump.
Political discussion is important but when neither side can admit that the other side occasionally does something right, it's just a never ending argument.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-31-2020, 03:06 PM   #47
upononer6

Bike(s):
2004 yamaha r6
2000 Honda XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
My life got interrupted badly by Harvey. House flooded, wound up moving into an apartment, bikes are in storage.
I still ride once a week or so but 2 of the 4 don't run and 1 needs more time than I have to be safe on the street.
The reason I don't post much is mostly because I get tired of politics and bashing the president. I was tired of people bashing Bush, I was tired of people bashing Obama and now I'm tired of people bashing Trump.
Political discussion is important but when neither side can admit that the other side occasionally does something right, it's just a never ending argument.
Well, I hope everything works out for you dude. Harvey put a pretty big kink in alot of peoples lives.
Liked this post:
Old 05-31-2020, 08:21 PM   #48
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
a lot of sv's and
a little 'bout love

Member Garage

i have been fortunate so far, even though im basically jobless right now. between unemployment pay and the occasional profitable bike flip, i think i have been doing alright. in response to op's question about the h town bike culture, idk. ive never been much of a social rider. i like to ride by myself most of the time. keeps me out of harm, trouble, and bs. today i started teaching my 14 year old how to ride, so that was a lot of fun! nothing makes the heart feel better than fatherly pride.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-01-2020, 12:57 AM   #49
Geephus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Sorry to hear about your house. Harvey was rough. I do think a lot of people are just on social media today.

Regarding politics. I think this is the first time in history people are tired of the president bashing people on social media, and not just tired of people bashing the president, on social media.
Geephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #50
upononer6

Bike(s):
2004 yamaha r6
2000 Honda XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geephus View Post
Sorry to hear about your house. Harvey was rough. I do think a lot of people are just on social media today.

Regarding politics. I think this is the first time in history people are tired of the president bashing people on social media, and not just tired of people bashing the president, on social media.
This is why I don't do social media. At all. I get to see the changes without having the drama.
Liked this post:
Old 06-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #51
upononer6

Bike(s):
2004 yamaha r6
2000 Honda XR50

my earlier comment about why forums are in such bad shape right now. Bloi is a very good example of this. Contributes nothing to any conversation, breaks multiple forum rules, trolls intentionally to start . Multiple people have asked for mods to do something about it and absolutely nothing is done. Ignore is a feature I understand. But its clearly the same person or same 2 people making new accounts. (Also against forum rules).
Liked this post:
Old 06-03-2020, 10:39 AM   #52
SilverBullet

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200EXC
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Quote:
Originally Posted by upononer6 View Post
This is why I don't do social media. At all...
You do realize you just posted this on social media. LOL
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-03-2020, 11:45 AM   #53
Cello

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2019 Kaw Ninja 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
A forum isn't social media. IRC isn't social media.

Facebook, Twitter, etc. have very different characteristics that define them as social media.
Cello is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-03-2020, 11:52 AM   #54
SilverBullet

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200EXC
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
A forum isn't social media. IRC isn't social media.

Facebook, Twitter, etc. have very different characteristics that define them as social media.
Not so
Old 06-03-2020, 06:16 PM   #55
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2017 Honda Grom
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage

forums and iirc were social media before MS and FB etc
Old 06-03-2020, 08:08 PM   #56
upononer6

Bike(s):
2004 yamaha r6
2000 Honda XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
I guess I should have gone into more detail in what social medias I dont do since its hard for some to understand what I meant by that. The ones that constantly pop up on your phone, computer, tablet etc.

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.. the real social media.. you get the point. Maybe you dont.. I do not consider web forums to be the same "social media" as the mentioned.
Liked this post:
Old 06-04-2020, 06:29 AM   #57
SilverBullet

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200EXC
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Quote:
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.. the real social media.. you get the point. Maybe you dont.. I do not consider web forums to be the same "social media" as the mentioned.
Agreed forums are not the same social media as those you listed but they are indeed 100% social media.

And having said that there are plenty of off topic threads here on MH that have all the stereotypical elements of FB. Memes, tropes, polarized far left and right rants, hate speak, questionable facts, unchecked sources/links, etc.
Liked this post:
Old 06-18-2020, 02:26 AM   #58
TaiMc

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT

Member Garage

Quote:
I guess I should have gone into more detail in what social medias I dont do since its hard for some to understand what I meant by that. The ones that constantly pop up on your phone, computer, tablet etc.

I feel you on this...IG is social media but for me it is different from a lot of the others you mentioned.

You follow who you want and unfollow. You post what you want and view what you want. I prefer IG out of the others because I get to look at legit bikes all over the world, in the states, and in Houston, as well as muscle cars (mainly MOPAR). It's less of people running their mouths about things and more so posting images. You might find that much more enjoyable. You aren't flooded with images and issues you don't want to view, and if the people (that you follow) post you don't like, you can easily unfollow and never have to see it again. I prefer that much more than Forums, where you can't really edit conversations that work your nerves unless you block multiple individuals.

My 2 cents.
Mods: Two Brothers Racing S1R Black Series:Carbon fiber Slip-on (Album), ZeroGravity Racing Corsa "Light Smoke" screen (Album), LED Glow lighting kit (green-16 strips, Album), Puig sport foot pegs:Green (Album), TechSpec USA tank grips (Album), Modified "trunk space" (Album); Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit (DIY Thread)/Album)
TaiMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement