MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic > Health and Fitness
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
skmart2
Stephanie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
none right now :(
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

signed up for my first 5k!

well, i've been trying to get back into shape and improve my overall health so i started training to run. i just signed up to do my first 5k on May 30 for the Astros Race for the Pennant. i'm still super slow and having to do the walk/run/walk thing but i seem to always do better on things when i have a real goal to meet and have to be accountable to someone/something other than myself. so, wish me luck

anyone have any tips for preparation and what i might expect at the actual event?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First 5k run JMAC Health and Fitness 8 02-23-2011 09:43 PM
5k 99 Chris Off Topic 22 01-28-2011 05:43 PM
5k training program gtdrivr Health and Fitness 0 11-28-2009 07:56 PM
5k MudBug Off Topic 21 10-31-2008 04:34 PM
5k Members!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pyrofallout Forum Updates & Feedback 20 06-17-2008 12:47 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Work on getting down a decent runner's diet. Oatmeal is has done me well as have other things. There really isn't a whole bunch you can do between now and then to "train", so I would concentrate on strecthing and trying to become more flexibile. Continue to run/jog/walk as you normally do, but slowly start to dial down the distances as you get closer to the event. Check your shoes and make sure they're in decent shape and fit comfortably. Eat something light the morning of (again, refer to a runner's diet guide) and pound the water the day prior. I would drink a good amount of water at least 24 hours in advanced and sip on water until it's go time.

I could go on.........but then it would just be way too much information for someone who is just starting out to worry about.

Go to a local bike (bicycle) store and pick up one or two Hammer Gels. These are a great. I'd down one a good 10-15 minutes before you head out, just to give you a little bit of energy and calories to burn.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Jay
Deleted

Experience: 5 years

well, track coaches at uh and my old highschool, recommended pasta and steak the day before a race, and drink pickle juice on the day of the race.... helps with cramping
Old 05-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
well, track coaches at uh and my old highschool, recommended pasta and steak the day before a race, and drink pickle juice on the day of the race.... helps with cramping
Pasta - yes
Steak - no

The best thing to help stomach cramps is to not eat too much prior to the race. Eat something light in the morning, and down one of those Hammer Gels right before its go time. But maybe pickle juice works.....

If you must eat meat prior to a running event......chicken or fish (not fried) would be better. It's leaner......and better for you.

I personally believe the best thing to eat the night before a big run is spagehtti (go easy on the sauce) with WHEAT PASTA. The wheat pasta is better for you, and burns off slower so you'll have that in your system giving you energy a little longer than you would with regular pasta.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
skmart2
Stephanie

Bike(s):
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

good info - thanks
Old 05-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

see what you need to do is get a big juicy tbone steak tie it to your self and get a hungry dog (preferably a pit or big azz doberman) and run your azz off.

this also works if you are sexy as hellz and are running in memeorial park dayum men around there try not to show off to the womens but i see em staring at my girl when shes running around there....
Old 05-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Roadracer had good advice. ood running shoes are often overlooked and the shoes with the most visual appeal are usually purchased, instead of functionality. May 30th is very close so I would work on distance instead of speed. Also, do you know if the race will be on pavement? If u usually walk/ jog on a gravel trail, you will be in for a big surprise.

Good luck, let us know how you do or what your time was
S.D.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
skmart2
Stephanie

Bike(s):
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

i've been walking/running on a paved track in the mornings before work and then a couple of times during the week i'll do evenings up at memorial park so that i can get comfortable with both types of environments.

anyone know of a good place to get fitted for shoes? i have a problem saying NO to people and am afraid to just walk in some where and get suckered into buying a buch of stuff i don't need.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmart2 View Post
i've been walking/running on a paved track in the mornings before work and then a couple of times during the week i'll do evenings up at memorial park so that i can get comfortable with both types of environments.

anyone know of a good place to get fitted for shoes? i have a problem saying NO to people and am afraid to just walk in some where and get suckered into buying a buch of stuff i don't need.
I personally don't know of any place around Houston. I haven't bought a pair since I moved back from North Carolina. Now that I think of it, it's about time that I did.

You can find your own shoe, no problem. First, make sure what ever it is, meets your budget. Second, make sure your feet fit comfortably, NOT SNUG! You should be able to wiggle your toes slightly and your feet shouldn't feel like there about to explode out of the shoe when you put all of your weight on the of each foot.

Keep in mind, your feet expand when you run, so you need just a little-little bit of comfort zone between your feet and the walls of the shoe.

Mizuno ( I think that's how you spell it) makes some really good running shoes, and mine have lasted for quite a while.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
gsxr_firerider
you lite em, we fight em

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600- sold

if youre close to the woodlands, go to lukes locker.it is in market square. i had trouble finding a pair of shoes that fit comfortable while i run. they are a runner specialty store. they will have you walk around store and analyze your stride. then put you on treadmill and analyze your stride. they measure your foot width and length. then they reccomend you a couple shoes they think would be good for you. the aasics i got there were by far the most comfortable running shoe i have ever owned.
gsxr_firerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Specialty running store is a great idea, everybody has different feet .....some underpronate, some overpronate and some, like myself are flat footed...on my left. Aasics gave me bad blisters and I cant wear them. I found that new balance is great for my foot style.
S.D.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
gsxr_firerider
you lite em, we fight em

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600- sold

i have really flat feet to. i was running in pair of shox, before i went there. they told me that was probably the worst pair of shoes i could ever run in. he recomended new balance to i just liked the feel of the aasic. this place is pretty awesome.
gsxr_firerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
houtex
Hit'n the track pipe

Feedback Rating: (1)

Go to Lukes Locker on West Gray between Waugh & Shepherd. They will fit you with the right shoes.

houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #14
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

is there a direct link for the race? i might want to join

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE AND FIRE DEPARTMENTS!
OMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #15
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):

Member Garage

nvm i got it, 3 miles is a great goal to start off, i never ran a marathon but this looks like fun, might see you there

Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #16
maxgs

Member Garage

Don't worry about eating differently the night before, 3.1 miles doesn't require it. Eat normally the night before, no crazy dieting or fasting. For now, I'd pay most attention to getting the right shoes and wearing them enough that they are well broken in. Socks are a pretty bike deal to me at well. I wear thorlo running socks. Blisters suck.

A 5k is the equivalent of one lap around memorial. That would be a good place to figure your mechanics of running. I've run a half marathon every year now for the past four years. Last year I did San Antonio in November and Houston in January. Because I'm such a big guy, I train on an elliptical trainer and a rower as to take it easy on my knees. I run just enough to be comfortable with my mechanics.

And, btw, you can't even imagine how slow I run. It's laughable.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #17
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Don't worry about eating differently the night before, 3.1 miles doesn't require it. Eat normally the night before, no crazy dieting or fasting. For now, I'd pay most attention to getting the right shoes and wearing them enough that they are well broken in. Socks are a pretty bike deal to me at well. I wear thorlo running socks. Blisters suck.

A 5k is the equivalent of one lap around memorial. That would be a good place to figure your mechanics of running. I've run a half marathon every year now for the past four years. Last year I did San Antonio in November and Houston in January. Because I'm such a big guy, I train on an elliptical trainer and a rower as to take it easy on my knees. I run just enough to be comfortable with my mechanics.

And, btw, you can't even imagine how slow I run. It's laughable.
good advice there, 3 miles is nothing to try to plan out for, also even aat a light jog pace you should be ok , majority of the people there, i can imagine are beginners as well. hey max how long are the marathons you run in sa and houston?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #18
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
good advice there, 3 miles is nothing to try to plan out for, also even aat a light jog pace you should be ok , majority of the people there, i can imagine are beginners as well. hey max how long are the marathons you run in sa and houston?
I run the half marathon. It's 13.1 miles. I can't imagine running a full marathon at my size.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #19
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I run the half marathon. It's 13.1 miles. I can't imagine running a full marathon at my size.
good , thats alot of miles none the less, the thought of a marathon had crossed my mind, but i didint realise its would be 26 miles

Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 AM   #20
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
good , thats alot of miles none the less, the thought of a marathon had crossed my mind, but i didint realise its would be 26 miles
A half marathon isn't so bad. I'd bet the majority of folks on the site could make it through a half marathon with little to no training, not that I recommend it. It's one of those things you just have to decide to do and then not quit. I ran my first half marathon with zero training. There were some unusual circumstances that put me in the position to run one at Disney World a few years back. I was there, I had an entry into the race so I decided what the . I expected to ride the sag wagon back after either 5k or 10k. I got to the 10k and decided I could make it all the way.

I've run a half marathon every year since then, but now I train for them. It's much easier that way and more enjoyable.

Advertisement