MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2019, 08:38 AM   #41
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Feedback Rating: (0)

So the original guy that a co-worker referred, who came out and said 7,800 just called my phone. I didn't answer.
Then he calls my co-workers phone to ask why I'm not answering and co-worker tells him that he not only got beat out by one company, but a second company estimated much lower. So then the guy say's "tell him 6200".

Now I texted him the estimate for 5,300 from the third contractor. He said he's looking at his supplier to see if he can match/beat it now

bottom feeerss bro!
TrollBrosteen is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WENT DOWN TO BELIZE LAST WEEK TO CHECK ON MY NEW HOUSE CONSTRUCTON Track_Graphics General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 04-19-2016 05:43 AM
Which HVAC filters do you use? chasee69 Off Topic 9 05-20-2015 05:31 PM
looking for someone with HVAC experience Pachuco Jobs Section 4 08-02-2011 08:31 AM
HVAC guy needed!!! Grinchy Off Topic 8 10-12-2010 09:56 AM
HVAC Help Needed Squeaky Off Topic 37 04-10-2008 01:19 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #42
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

home warranty program is just a source of contact leads for residential companies.
In this case they get paid for having the lead supplied to them instead of paying someone for leads.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #43
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Alright now we are getting somewhere.

I have the random guy I found online with the estimate for 5,300.

Now I also have the contractor that my co-worker referred me to saying he'll also do it for 5,300.

I've got another non-home-warranty contractor coming out at 4 today to give me a quote.

I also need to talk to a guy who did another co-workers system recently who is supposed to be extremely honest...so if he can get close to 5,300 that may be tempting.

Now I'm wondering which one out of those four will be the least scummy...

This sure is a real cluster There has to be an easier way to get a real price from people in the service industry.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #44
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Okay I had the other contractor come by. @ 7,900 I told them I wasn't really interested.

I've got it narrowed down to two contractors, both referred by co-workers.

#1 is a first generation Mexican immigrant starting out who seems like a real good guy.
The original price he gave was 7,800 for a Carrier unit.
Now he says he can match the quote for 5,300 with the Trane. Come to find out that the "Trane" is some subsidiary company and not a real deal Trane, though. He was honest enough to let me know this where the original 5,300 quote company didn't(why I prefer him for same price)

#2 is a good ole' boy from New Caney.
I really like this guy, but his price is 6,800. Said he recommends Ducane, which is an off-brand lennox. Mainly because they all have a ten year parts warranty and he can get the parts same-day, plus they're reliable to begin with.
He said he stands behind his work where the 5,300 guys tend to use super cheap labor and bail once it's installed...HOWEVER, the guy who said would match the 5,300 price did my co-workers AC and maintenance before that and is supposed to be top notch.

So yeah I'm kind of torn between the two at this point...what do you think?
Old 07-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #45
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Alright well after an extensive google translate conversation with the Mexican guy, he say's the Trane sucks(it's not a real trane at that price) and to let him do the Carrier for 6,000.

So now it's an 800 dollar price difference BUT the mexican guy would be using Carrier. That's a name brand and the Ducane isn't.

Then again they say the installation is what matters and they both seem good. I'm torn bro.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:46 PM   #46
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Mexican guy finally cracked and called me back for 5,500 lol...I'll be going with him. He told me not to tell anyone about the deal he gave me lol
Old 07-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #47
Zeus 1
in your mind

What a cluster , estimate is not a locked in price.
Zeus 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:41 PM   #48
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus 1 View Post
That's why I went with 5,500 from the trustworthy guy my co-worker used and not the random online place for 5,300 that offered a higher quality brand
Old 07-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #49
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Well I haven't signed anything yet.
Still on the fence here...what do you guys think?

I've got five estimates so far:

#1 is the Mexican guy who has been doing work on a co-workers AC for a few years. He will install a Carrier for 6,000, or a Rheem for 5,500.

#2 is the scumbag home warranty place that came out and tried charging me 14,500 then came all the way down to 7,000. Won't be using them.

#3 is the random place I found online who I did eventually find out is also a home warranty place. They sent me an estimate over the internet for 5,300 for a Trane.

#4 Is a more established company around here and they wanted to install a knock off Carrier for 7,900. Forget the brand name, but it's made by Carrier. They're the ones who said Trane doesn't make a 14 SEER.

#5 Is yet another guy who was referred to me by a co-worker. This was the guy from New Caney. I REALLY like this guy and he seemed extremely honest. He wanted 6,800 to install a Ducane for 6,800 or a Goodman for 6,500. He said Goodman is actually a much better brand than they used to be, but still recommends the Ducane.

Right now I'm trying to decide between #1, #3 and #5...
Old 07-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #50
green600
BYE

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
I thought we were talking about quotes and not the type of quote I just used to respond to you. I've just had about 7 units replaced after getting a quote and the final price has been exactly what I was quoted. Maybe OP said estimate somewhere on here but the last few posts I scrolled through said quote.

Life's too short to eat dusty Parm
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #51
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Quote:
Originally Posted by green600 View Post
I thought we were talking about quotes and not the type of quote I just used to respond to you. I've just had about 7 units replaced after getting a quote and the final price has been exactly what I was quoted. Maybe OP said estimate somewhere on here but the last few posts I scrolled through said quote.
The one online for 5,300 is still just an estimate. I do have an actual quote for the 5,500 from the Mexican guy. I don't know if the New Caney guy "does" quotes, but he seemed pretty sure it wouldn't cost any more than 6,800. You could tell he was experienced AF.
I'm not really interested in the others.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #52
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

I think we all know that if i had just gotten 2-3 estimates/quotes, I would have been a "dumbass" for not shopping around before buying.
Now that I've got 5, it's some unorganized "clusterfuck"
Old 07-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #53
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I paid 6500 for a 5-ton Goodman last summer...included the furnace. 2 story house. AC guy lives in the neighborhood, independent with a small crew or two to assist him. I've got neighbors who paid double or higher for a trane. I'm good with half price and replacing a little more often. Most units in our environment avg a life expectancy of 20 yrs. I think the system I replaced was 22 yrs and was American Standard.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #54
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
FWIW, when I was in the fence business and had customers throwing out low dollar estimates from competition, I usually offered them a "good luck" and headed out the door. you can't compare an estimate from some independent Mexican guy who's been in business for a little while vs an outfit whom has been in business for 25-years. All this talk about quotes, how do the warranties compare between them?
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #55
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
FWIW, when I was in the fence business and had customers throwing out low dollar estimates from competition, I usually offered them a "good luck" and headed out the door. you can't compare an estimate from some independent Mexican guy who's been in business for a little while vs an outfit whom has been in business for 25-years. All this talk about quotes, how do the warranties compare between them?
They're all 1 year labor ten year parts. The home warranty place that wanted 14,500 had a ten year labor warranty lol
Old 07-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #56
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Quote:
I usually offered them a "good luck" and headed out the door.
Yeah that's what homeboy who wanted 7,900 yesterday said as he was walking out. Dude was totally defeated when I showed him the 5,300 quote. Couldn't figure out how they did it so cheap(meanwhile he pulls up in a company lifted truck worth probably 80k), told me Trane doesn't make a14 seer so they must be lying, ect.(come to find out they do make a 14 seer)

He couldn't just accept that it was a less bloated company without a whole sales department to support and all that BS.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #57
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Quote:
I paid 6500 for a 5-ton Goodman last summer...included the furnace.
I just don't see it...I've bee doing a lot of research on HVAC reddit page.
Most of them are saying at a price like that, they're buying the unit for about 3,000 and the other 3,500 is for 8 hours worth of labor(2 men, 4 hours)...3k for the unit and 2,500 for labor and "overhead"(which from what I see, a lot of these companies have WAY too much of) seems a lot more fair...but even that should be more than enough for them to do a quality job.
Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM   #58
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Quote:

Just signed the contract for the same amount

Tax free
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM   #59
bun1t

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Gen 4 ZX10R
Honda Grom

Oh look, another thread with OP complaining about prices for services. Shocker.
bun1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM   #60
TrollBrosteen
ludibrium verius foramin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bun1t View Post
Oh look, another thread with OP complaining about prices for services. Shocker.
I've been proven right time and time again, have I not?

Advertisement