MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2021, 09:03 AM   #1
The Morganator

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

A question for most new members...

Why do you only make your original post and then nothing afterwards?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question to all MH members and MODS!!! Bounce305 Forum Updates & Feedback 22 10-22-2012 07:49 AM
Professional Carpet Cleaning *MOVED TO MEMBERS HELPING MEMBERS* DanteLee Miscellaneous (Non-Moto-Related) 6 01-28-2010 01:09 PM
5/4 M&G- Members Helping Members- Hooter's Nasa and 45 Spectre5922 Events, Meets and Rides 255 05-08-2009 09:29 PM
Members Helping Members 5/4 Meet and Greet Track Day Winners! cdill35 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 05-04-2009 10:13 PM
4/27 M&G 7PM - Members Helpin Members - Nasa Hooter's Flip Events, Meets and Rides 252 04-28-2009 09:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #2
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morganator View Post
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #3
The Morganator

Bike(s):
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

^^^^^^^^^^
This man would love to help teach you all there is to know about riding and life in general. All you have to do is post a second time.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #4
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
I'm most sad is the lack of interaction with people asking questions about general maintenance, tools, troubleshooting, tuning and or asking for tools, lift and literally a helping hand, to get your bike back on the road.
But along the years I also learned that this kind of interaction here in this forum comes in waves since that's the part I miss most.
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-10-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1995 Yamaha FJ1100
FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
I'm most sad is the lack of interaction with people asking questions about general maintenance, tools, troubleshooting, tuning and or asking for tools, lift and literally a helping hand, to get your bike back on the road.
But along the years I also learned that this kind of interaction here in this forum comes in waves since that's the part I miss most.
Agreed.

But since you brought it up...

When I get back and I'm settled in, I would like to extend help to anyone who needs it... within reasonable limitations (General maintenance, small repairs, etc.) At no costs, just helping fellow MH'ers when I have free time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #6
The Morganator

Bike(s):
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Agreed.

But since you brought it up...

When I get back and I'm settled in, I would like to extend help to anyone who needs it... within reasonable limitations (General maintenance, small repairs, etc.) At no costs, just helping fellow MH'ers when I have free time.
I do this all the time just to show riders how to do basic maintenence...
Old 01-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #7
The Morganator

Bike(s):
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
I think people are scared to ask questions just for the fact that they usually get unfavorable responses from the members. I see it all the time. Sad that a person just getting a bike is excited about learning and then gets shot down by mean spirited responses.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:40 PM   #8
Cello

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2019 Kaw Ninja 400

Quote:
I think people are scared to ask questions just for the fact that they usually get unfavorable responses from the members. I see it all the time. Sad that a person just getting a bike is excited about learning and then gets shot down by mean spirited responses.
Yeah, I feel this one. There's definitely some general idea that people should be able to take a little bit of mocking and ribaldry, so 'veterans' (I'm speaking generally here, not just about MH) will razz newer guys. The problem is that in a face-to-face setting, its easier to tell when they're just messing with you, and people can rein it back in if they see the new guy is taking it too hard. Of course, the opposite, making every interaction have to be oh-so-polite, just everyone off eventually.

Anyway, I have this half idea that some of these guys join, realize they don't really care about any group interaction, and farkle off into the unknown. The other portion sign up and then forget the site exists because their incredibly hot wife does something in the bedroom and they don't think about anything for several days. By the time their mind resets, the thought of MH has disappeared, and they never remember it again.
Cello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:51 PM   #9
PP186515

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki V-Strom 650 2012

Quote:
I check out this group quite often, so please don't feel like no one appreciates you.

I ride a V-Strom, so I get most of my maintenance tips from https://www.stromtrooper.com/ because they focus on my particular bike. I also search this site as well.

A couple of friends want me to do more adventure riding, so they want me to change my tires to 50/50 street to off-road. I will probably go to Big Bend in March, so big decision. Not sure at what point 50/50 tires are not good on your rides. I am currently riding 80/20.

I like your safety focus on your rides. I would not ride with you without this.

COVID is also a factor. Not hanging out with many folks these days. Had lunch with the group in Fayetteville with no masks a few months. Was really nice and felt like old times, but told myself I was not going to do it again until after the pandemic.

As a road bicyclist, when I ride motorcycles I miss out on my exercise. So, mid-day motorcycle rides let me do both (bicycle early in the morning).

Thank you!! Love the group. Hate the cars and motorcycles that scream around loop 610 at night. I have had neighbors ask if that is me racing at night. See above that I am riding a 650 V-Strom. ��
PP186515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:58 PM   #10
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Bike(s):
'09 Ducati Monster 696
Retrospec Drome (Fixed Gear Bicycle)
'01 Ducati Monster 600 (Sold)
'07 Suzuki GSXR Track Bike (Sold)
'02 Honda F4i (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proasian3 View Post
This guy...

To answer your question... It's lack of content or content that interests them. I mean... Even for me coming back it's a bit hard to get interested and back in the swing of things.

It's also the low response and slow response time. ... I thought I brought up a great topic with the MOTOGP thread... but it took a while to get a first response. Then a while for more responses that I just kinda forgot about it and checking it.

With so many platforms out there giving you reactions within seconds or minutes... It's hard to hold the attention.

I'm literally more on here right now cuz I'm 30 days banned on FB... Even then my interaction is low, but there is just not any interesting content... To ME.

Check out this thread tho: https://www.motohouston.com/forums/s...d.php?t=398358

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-11-2021, 05:54 PM   #11
The Morganator

Bike(s):
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

My main point actually is about looking for groups or to meet riders. I see a number of post about this but when we offer opportunities for them to join there never heard from again. I guess i have to ask myself why.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:27 AM   #12
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2 tricycle motors, no more bikes.

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
This guy...

To answer your question... It's lack of content or content that interests them. I mean... Even for me coming back it's a bit hard to get interested and back in the swing of things.

It's also the low response and slow response time. ... I thought I brought up a great topic with the MOTOGP thread... but it took a while to get a first response. Then a while for more responses that I just kinda forgot about it and checking it.

With so many platforms out there giving you reactions within seconds or minutes... It's hard to hold the attention.

I'm literally more on here right now cuz I'm 30 days banned on FB... Even then my interaction is low, but there is just not any interesting content... To ME.

Check out this thread tho: https://www.motohouston.com/forums/s...d.php?t=398358
That thread needed pics. I saw "women"...opened it...no pics. Read a little and left. Onto another platform to see what women are racing professionally.

BUt ya, when I joined here in '07 I remember being full of questions becasue I didn't have anywhere else to ask. I was living alone, none of my phone contact friends rode motorcycles so I had this platform to ask even how to clean a bike chain or how to swap grips. I think everyone just "googles it" now. It was available for me on '07 but this forum was more fun and exciting than google and youtube in 2007.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:30 PM   #13
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Bike(s):
'09 Ducati Monster 696
Retrospec Drome (Fixed Gear Bicycle)
'01 Ducati Monster 600 (Sold)
'07 Suzuki GSXR Track Bike (Sold)
'02 Honda F4i (Sold)

Quote:
My main point actually is about looking for groups or to meet riders. I see a number of post about this but when we offer opportunities for them to join there never heard from again. I guess i have to ask myself why.
It's about comfort... Some people are more outgoing than others and are able to just go and hang with strangers.

Others need a level of comfortability or familiarity with those they decide to go hang with.

A lot of people are more outgoing online and romanticize the idea of joining an event, but when it comes to it. Their personality doesn't let them lol

Back in the day, the way I started was by doing the meets, then the rides on Sunday Morning, making sure I posted a lot of pictures. Then I would invite those same people to a weekly meeting. Showing up religiously whether it was just me or 20 other people. Until it just grew and grew, and grew... to the point that they would see pictures of the crowd and that would attract their interest for the next week's meeting.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:08 PM   #14
The Morganator

Bike(s):
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
It's about comfort... Some people are more outgoing than others and are able to just go and hang with strangers.

Others need a level of comfortability or familiarity with those they decide to go hang with.

A lot of people are more outgoing online and romanticize the idea of joining an event, but when it comes to it. Their personality doesn't let them lol

Back in the day, the way I started was by doing the meets, then the rides on Sunday Morning, making sure I posted a lot of pictures. Then I would invite those same people to a weekly meeting. Showing up religiously whether it was just me or 20 other people. Until it just grew and grew, and grew... to the point that they would see pictures of the crowd and that would attract their interest for the next week's meeting.
Good points...
Old 01-13-2021, 03:37 AM   #15
RC45

Bike(s):
Some old 2 stroke track bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP186515 View Post
I check out this group quite often, so please don't feel like no one appreciates you.

I ride a V-Strom, so I get most of my maintenance tips from https://www.stromtrooper.com/ because they focus on my particular bike. I also search this site as well.

A couple of friends want me to do more adventure riding, so they want me to change my tires to 50/50 street to off-road. I will probably go to Big Bend in March, so big decision. Not sure at what point 50/50 tires are not good on your rides. I am currently riding 80/20.

I like your safety focus on your rides. I would not ride with you without this.

COVID is also a factor. Not hanging out with many folks these days. Had lunch with the group in Fayetteville with no masks a few months. Was really nice and felt like old times, but told myself I was not going to do it again until after the pandemic.

As a road bicyclist, when I ride motorcycles I miss out on my exercise. So, mid-day motorcycle rides let me do both (bicycle early in the morning).

Thank you!! Love the group. Hate the cars and motorcycles that scream around loop 610 at night. I have had neighbors ask if that is me racing at night. See above that I am riding a 650 V-Strom. ��
Point to their minivan/camry/shitbox and say "no, was that you racing last night?"

Non-motorcycle folks will chastise us no matter what.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #16
Cello

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2019 Kaw Ninja 400

Quote:
Part of that is just the distance. I was riding almost an hour and a half to get to you, and had to give it up when it became two and a half. It's not your fault that areas near Houston are flat.

I'm betting the majority of the people you're talking about want to ride 10 minutes to a group meeting, burn off strips of rubber (only to complain later about how much it costs to replace tires, "why do they make them so these days?"), get loads of attention for being in a group doing wheelies and blocking traffic, then ride home. They don't realize that MotoHouston includes areas outside of the metropolitan area.
Cello is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #17
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

I used to get so much information from MH regarding repairs , options, suggestions. I learned so much, I havenít been buying or working on that many bikes in the last few years , but things have dropped off here substantially , a lot of the knowledge base has disappeared too

Advertisement