MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic > Health and Fitness
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Unhappy loosing your belly???

ok here is my situation...
I have had four kids, which means I have been over 210lbs twice.
I have given up on worrying about stretch marks but the belly has got to be the most annoying thing ever.
Here we go...
I weigh 140 lbs and I am 5'4".
I have always been physically strong, I started weight training in high school.
I go to the gym at least 3 times a week but since knee surgery (on 5/8) I can only work my upper body.
I use the elliptical and can go a little over a mile in twelve minutes, which for healthy me is bad but since I am healing a knee I think it is ok.
then I go and work my arms, chest, back and abs as the gym owner has suggested.
He says to keep doing the abdominal isolator, which is the best thing for me at this time. But I am just not feeling it.
On the back isolator I can do 100+reps of 120lbs and then I move on to the ab isolator and do 100+reps from 80 - 110lbs.
but I never seem to feel sore or like I have even worked on my abs.
What can someone who can't push their lower body do to work their abs? I can't do crunches or leg lifts because of the knee brace and the positioning.

any one have any good ideas?
I mean I don't have a big ol gut, it is just that stupid little pooch that drives me nuts!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lance Armstrong loosing his titles RACER X Health and Fitness 67 01-17-2013 09:14 AM
Having trouble loosing weight? sunday_rider Off Topic 39 12-28-2012 01:54 PM
Loosing of braking power randomwalk101 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 12-24-2011 08:15 PM
THE BELLY RULES FastLine Off Topic 20 05-18-2009 05:35 PM
whats on my belly houseofpaint General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 10-31-2008 09:23 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Swimming- if your knee and the doc gives you the a-ok. Swimming and good diet.

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

sounds like your abs are strong enough and you just need cardio or diet to get rid of the fat.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
zAguilera
socket in my back pocket

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Gsxr 600

Send a message via AIM to zAguilera Send a message via Yahoo to zAguilera
pilates... and i mile on the elliptical is not going to do you justice. trust me. you need to go for about 30 mins minimum. Its not about speed its about endurance. Working out at the gym 3 times a week is not enough if you have a time restraint i will suggest you eat better and then you dont even have to work out. 1200 cal diet.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
thieves

Abs are made in the kitchen.

The thing is, you probably already have some pretty well defined ab muscles hiding in there, it's just getting them to show. Burning off fat means dieting and more cardio type workouts. You can do ab exercises all day long, but unless you are burning enough fat to shrink the pooch, you'll never see them. You can't target where your body burns fat, it does so evenly over your whole body. Continue working your abs, but the biggest things will be burning away the fat, not toning the muscles.

Try to eat clean and healthy and up the cardio. Calories in < calories out = weight loss essentially.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Bike(s):
thieves

Oh, and obviously this will be hard now with the knee and everything, but one of the best ways to burn fat quicker is with interval training. Ex: if you're running for your cardio, jog at a light pace for a couple minutes to warm up, then jog 75% - full sprint for 30 seconds - minute, slowing back down to a jog for 2-3 minutes. Go through several cycles of that until you've reached your time limit or as much as you can.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

oh and cut stuff that has high fructose corn syrup. Like sodas, and fake juices.

where is mckee?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmckee View Post
Swimming- if your knee and the doc gives you the a-ok. Swimming and good diet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zAguilera View Post
pilates... and i mile on the elliptical is not going to do you justice. trust me. you need to go for about 30 mins minimum. Its not about speed its about endurance. Working out at the gym 3 times a week is not enough if you have a time restraint i will suggest you eat better and then you dont even have to work out. 1200 cal diet.
I can't swim yet because of ROM, and the same for the elliptical... After about 10-15 minutes I am in pain.
My endurance is amazing... when I am healthy I am usually going for 30 - 45 minutes with high resistance but my knee is me up.
My diet is good, I usually don't take in more than 1500 a day.
I don't have time constraints at the gym. I stay as long as I like. but the knee is messing up my routine and It will be this way for the next couple of months. that is why I am looking for something other than what I am doing.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
you and brandy are the sexiest MILFS i know!!!
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxgirl View Post
I can't swim yet because of ROM, and the same for the elliptical... After about 10-15 minutes I am in pain.
My endurance is amazing... when I am healthy I am usually going for 30 - 45 minutes with high resistance but my knee is me up.
My diet is good, I usually don't take in more than 1500 a day.
I don't have time constraints at the gym. I stay as long as I like. but the knee is messing up my routine and It will be this way for the next couple of months. that is why I am looking for something other than what I am doing.
Then I guess your stuck with and food.

Kinda stuck with the knee :(, I would focus on making sure that heals correctly, and focus on better food. Then, when the knee gets better, work your way up with cardio

where is mckee?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #11
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

[quote=SpeedCheeser;2018189]Oh, and obviously this will be hard now with the knee and everything, but one of the best ways to burn fat quicker is with interval training. Ex: if you're running for your cardio, jog at a light pace for a couple minutes to warm up, then jog 75% - full sprint for 30 seconds - minute, slowing back down to a jog for 2-3 minutes. Go through several cycles of that until you've reached your time limit or as much as you can.[/QUOTE]
This is extremely similar to my normal work out, but yea... the knee is fkn it up.

Quote:
oh and cut stuff that has high fructose corn syrup. Like sodas, and fake juices.
I drink mostly water. Maybe a tea with lunch or dinner but I limit my soda intake to 12 or less a day.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

140 lbs at 5'4 is a good weight. I wouldn't worry about dieting but I think you are on the right track in regards to continuing to build muscle mass for lean.

A trainer gave me a good tip to work the waist and all stomach core muscles and it should make you sore. I am sure there is a way you can do this with the brace on too:

Sit on the floor with your knees angled, or in the air, or crossed in the air. Lean back and get a 10 lbs free weight or 10 lbs medicine ball. Take the weight and twist to the right, touching the ground to your left, then twisting to the left, touching the ground to the left. Do as many reps with as much weight as you like to build up. Base is 10 lbs - 12 reps each side, 3 sets. Go from there depending on what stage and shape you are in already...

With your knee brace, you may even be able to put a pillow underneath your knee for added support?

Last edited by Faylaricia; 06-01-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Faylaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #13
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

12 oz a day?

That's what I used to do, I got down to 1 can a day. Helped ALOT

Now I'm down to maybe 16 oz, every 3 days or so. And it really shows.

Just heal up girl. That's whats important.

where is mckee?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #14
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Then I guess your stuck with and food.

Kinda stuck with the knee :(, I would focus on making sure that heals correctly, and focus on better food. Then, when the knee gets better, work your way up with cardio
mmmm and food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. ~T~ View Post
Thank you T!
Old 06-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #15
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
140 lbs at 5'4 is a good weight. I wouldn't worry about dieting but I think you are on the right track in regards to continuing to build muscle mass for lean.

A trainer gave me a good tip to work the waist and all stomach core muscles and it should make you sore. I am sure there is a way you can do this with the brace on too:

Sit on the floor with your knees angled, or in the air, or crossed in the air. Lean back and get a 10 lbs free weight or 10 lbs medicine ball. Take the weight and twist to the right, touching the ground to your left, then twisting to the left, touching the ground to the left. Do as many reps with as much weight as you like to build up. Base is 10 lbs - 12 reps each side, 3 sets. Go from there depending on what stage and shape you are in already...

With your knee brace, you may even be able to put a pillow underneath your knee for added support?
do you think I could rest my legs in a chair? I have a whole free weight system here at home so the weights are no problem.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #16
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
12 oz a day?

That's what I used to do, I got down to 1 can a day. Helped ALOT

Now I'm down to maybe 16 oz, every 3 days or so. And it really shows.

Just heal up girl. That's whats important.
some days I only take a drink or two out of a bottle and stick it back in the fridge and others I will have some with a meal. Just depends on the day. I love Diet dr. pepper.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #17
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. ~T~ View Post
Thank you. I'm honored to be lumped in with Pammy on anything! Plus- been there (200 lbs) done that (but I stopped at two).

My stomach/belly is amazingly strong, so I feel you on never feeling ab workouts. We will never lose the extra skin without surgery- it just can't happen. When I get down to about 113 (only 5') then I notice that my tummy looks more muscular, but at 118, it looks a little flabby. I know my muscles are there, they just hide behind all that freakin' skin now.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #18
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Bike(s):
thieves

Another thing you can try if you aren't already, try eating more frequently. If you're taking in 1500 calories in 3 meals, try to make it 1500 in 6 meals (more like 3 meals and snacks here and there). Continually eating keeps your metabolism going stronger longer. Obviously though, this isn't a free pass to take in more calories then you're used to. And knocking out soda is such a huge difference. A can of soda is close to 200 calories of absolutely nothing but sugar which leads to nothing but fat. My problem is beer :-(

Another thing you can try - when you're doing your weights/upper body work out, try to do everything in circuits and supersets. Do 1 set of one exercise then move immediately into a set of the second exercise (of an opposing muscle) without rest. Then try to limit the amount of time you rest before going back into the 2nd set of the first exercise. You keep moving more and faster, thus keeping your heart rate up, which kinda helps make your weight training more like a cardio at the same time.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #19
spartandude
Custom User Title

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Pam, you do not need to lose weight. Trust me.
Good luck on the exercise. I think I will try Faylaricia's weighted ball technique to avoid messing around with my knee (pinched nerve that my wussy just can't work through).
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #20
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxgirl View Post
do you think I could rest my legs in a chair? I have a whole free weight system here at home so the weights are no problem.
I found it on the web, this site loads very slow for me, but it shows the exercise. http://http://www.ab-core-and-stomac...exercises.html

I think technically you could even try and do this while sitting in a chair without a back.

Advertisement