MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #21
FXDS1340
Senior Member
 
FXDS1340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 200

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 H-D FLHX
1997 H-D Hammer 1250



Member Garage





I can't see myself buying a Goldwing and then needing speeds much over 90. My GSX-S750 only occasionally see's 130. 140? Very rarely. I hit 120 a few times today. Most speeds stayed within 70-100mph though. I guess some of us are just more cautious/conservative.
FXDS1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Definitely NOT a Goldwing NewsBot Racing News 0 08-12-2015 07:20 AM
Goldwing SE Rexter Motorcycles For Sale 0 01-18-2014 04:11 PM
Anyone have a mid-80's GoldWing? Morphish General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 04-11-2013 10:11 AM
Help me value a goldwing? Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-24-2011 10:40 AM
New VFR or Goldwing Davekg General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 08-24-2010 04:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #22
brandontx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 5,480

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F








Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
no but I never heard of the internet 35 years ago either. Maybe honda is just being an innovator. But school me why do you think it's a bad idea?
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:36 AM   #23
Tiller
#463
 
Tiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 912

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
00 TL1000R
03 RC51
81 GS1100E
05 RM125
11 Ninja 250R






I wouldn't buy a Goldwing, but I would buy a Motus if I could afford it. Come on lotto.
Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-03-2018, 04:59 AM   #24
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 26,816

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Are you being serious? Have you ever heard any other manufacturer separating the bars from the front forks?



Note: That's not a Honda
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 AM   #25
rccarlson22
Senior Member
 
rccarlson22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Clear Lake
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,720

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650






Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
On the other hand, Honda isn't known for poor engineering so I'm guessing it'll be ok and I'm sure they had good reason for choosing to do that.

Ask the 2015-current Honda F1 team about their engine reliability
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #26
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 26,816

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarlson22 View Post
Ask the 2015-current Honda F1 team about their engine reliability
I'd rather ask Marquez, Pedrosa, and Crutchlow
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #27
rccarlson22
Senior Member
 
rccarlson22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Clear Lake
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,720

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650






Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I'd rather ask Marquez, Pedrosa, and Crutchlow
Didn’t know they raced F1, tell me more
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #28
rccarlson22
Senior Member
 
rccarlson22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Clear Lake
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,720

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650






Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I'd rather ask Marquez, Pedrosa, and Crutchlow
Or we could ask McLaren how they like Honda’s new engine
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #29
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 26,816

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarlson22 View Post
Didn’t know they raced F1, tell me more
Uh, I thought this was a moto related thread in a moto related section
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #30
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 9,724

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDS1340 View Post
I can't see myself buying a Goldwing and then needing speeds much over 90. My GSX-S750 only occasionally see's 130. 140? Very rarely. I hit 120 a few times today. Most speeds stayed within 70-100mph though. I guess some of us are just more cautious/conservative.
Agreed....except when it comes to the hill country rides. I have rode with people from WFO and bucknut and some other dudes from here a few times there and when Mark is leading you better believe we go over a 120 alot. Also since I can't accelerate or brake as hard as sportbikes I need the top speed between turns to keep the faster guys from getting to far ahead.

And btw I really don't like going that fast on the straights most of the time because there is more chance for tickets or crashing because of pickup pulling out of a driveway or a stupid dang deer getting in the way. But when I riding with fast wild people I don't like seeing them leave me either. Guess that's when the competitive part of me kicks in.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #31
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 9,724

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiller View Post
I wouldn't buy a Goldwing, but I would buy a Motus if I could afford it. Come on lotto.
You know I use to think the same thing especially when I rode choppers. I saw a goldwing at a rally one time and said that is a freak'n car with two wheels no way I would buy or ride that for that matter.

But then I went to San Francisco to ride with a friend of mine that raved on goldwings. So i rented one for the 6 days we were riding some of the twistiest roads in the world in N. Cali. I couldn't believe how well that big bike handled with my wife on the back. I mean I was drag'n foot pegs all over the place with smiles on my face. It had power out the ying yang too pulling inclined turns even in the wrong gear. The brakes were incredible stopping that heavy beast.

So it was fun in the twisties not as fast as a sportbike but not that much slower than a sportbike either. And it was comfortable. I mean really comfortable. I could ride all day with out fatigued or my hurting like it does when I ride the gixxer over 200 miles. Also I had tunes LOUD tunes that made long distance riding much more enjoyable. I had cruise control and highway pegs to relax before the next twisty section. And my wife was comfortable so she rode with me where she won't even get on the gixxer anymore which I don't blame her I would want to ride up on that eleavated perch either. Oh and I have storage. LOTS of storage for our stuff for 6 days that was lockable.

So maybe the wing is a car on two wheels but maybe that is why it is so bad because it is a car on two wheels so it can be comfortable fast and LEAN way over.


Again, I knocked it till I experienced it. And when I came back from cali I bought one the following week from Freedom motosports I think in Clute or Freeport (can't remember) and have LOVED the bike ever since. Out of 7 harleys, two sport bikes, and two choppers the wing is my favorite of all.

But I got to be able to go over 112 so I won't be buying the new one.

Last edited by gixxerbill; 04-03-2018 at 09:35 AM.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #32
rccarlson22
Senior Member
 
rccarlson22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Clear Lake
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,720

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650






Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Uh, I thought this was a moto related thread in a moto related section
Did you miss the part where Honda as a whole company was discussed?

I can point you in the right direction if need be, put your glasses on
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:09 AM   #33
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.
 
Solracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kemah Area
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 31,595

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2006 Yamaha YZF600R
2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC
2002 Yamaha WR250
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
You know I use to think the same thing especially when I rode choppers. I saw a goldwing at a rally one time and said that is a freak'n car with two wheels no way I would buy or ride that for that matter.

But then I went to San Francisco to ride with a friend of mine that raved on goldwings. So i rented one for the 6 days we were riding some of the twistiest roads in the world in N. Cali. I couldn't believe how well that big bike handled with my wife on the back. I mean I was drag'n foot pegs all over the place with smiles on my face. It had power out the ying yang too pulling inclined turns even in the wrong gear. The brakes were incredible stopping that heavy beast.

So it was fun in the twisties not as fast as a sportbike but not that much slower than a sportbike either. And it was comfortable. I mean really comfortable. I could ride all day with out fatigued or my hurting like it does when I ride the gixxer over 200 miles. Also I had tunes LOUD tunes that made long distance riding much more enjoyable. I had cruise control and highway pegs to relax before the next twisty section. And my wife was comfortable so she rode with me where she won't even get on the gixxer anymore which I don't blame her I would want to ride up on that eleavated perch either. Oh and I have storage. LOTS of storage for our stuff for 6 days that was lockable.

So maybe the wing is a car on two wheels but maybe that is why it is so bad because it is a car on two wheels so it can be comfortable fast and LEAN way over.


Again, I knocked it till I experienced it. And when I came back from cali I bought one the following week from Freedom motosports I think in Clute or Freeport (can't remember) and have LOVED the bike ever since. Out of 7 harleys, two sport bikes, and two choppers the wing is my favorite of all.

But I got to be able to go over 112 so I won't be buying the new one.
Get it flashed.

Maybe I didn't read it, but has Honda specified why they limited it to 112?

It it like the Yamaha FJ-09 where at higher speeds it wobbles?
__________________
Chris
Solracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #34
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 26,816

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Get it flashed.

Maybe I didn't read it, but has Honda specified why they limited it to 112?

It it like the Yamaha FJ-09 where at higher speeds it wobbles?
Yup, I quoted them in this thread
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #35
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 26,816

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarlson22 View Post
Did you miss the part where Honda as a whole company was discussed?

I can point you in the right direction if need be, put your glasses on
Did you miss the part where you responded to a statement about Honda's engineering? You're the one that turned it into 4 wheeled vehicles

Looky here: General Discussion (Moto Related)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #36
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 9,724

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Get it flashed.

Maybe I didn't read it, but has Honda specified why they limited it to 112?

It it like the Yamaha FJ-09 where at higher speeds it wobbles?
they said it had something to do with the radiator not being big enough.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #37
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 26,816

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
they said it had something to do with the radiator not being big enough.
The Gold Wing is limited to 180km/h (112mph) – why is that?

What we wanted to do was not develop a motorcycle that’s achieving high top speeds like 200km/h plus – that’s not a something you’d usually use, so we didn’t want to sacrifice the practical areas for that. We made the design sleeker, which resulted in a slightly smaller radiator – with the current heat management, the bike is capable of running at 200km/h, but if you really want to focus on that top speed you’d probably have to sacrifice other areas, which we thought were more important. We wanted to really maximise the areas in which the motorcycle was designed to be useful.



Presumably you have to consider every eventuality – if someone was fully loaded and flat-out on an autobahn for instance.

Yes. This is also one of the aspects that links to us dismissing our status of being a ‘king’. If you’re a king, you have to cover everything, which also means you have to cover maximum top speed, but that would mean you had to make the bike heavier, wider, bigger… less joyful to handle. That is exactly what we didn’t want – we didn’t want to compromise the handling in a practical speed range where you’d normally use a motorcycle.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...ld-wing-gl1800
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #38
rccarlson22
Senior Member
 
rccarlson22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Clear Lake
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,720

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650






Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Did you miss the part where you responded to a statement about Honda's engineering? You're the one that turned it into 4 wheeled vehicles

Looky here: General Discussion

Honda’s engineering specializes in motorcycles only or...?

Edumacate me
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #39
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 26,816

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarlson22 View Post
Honda’s engineering specializes in motorcycles only or...?

Edumacate me
I guess you're the only person in the world that has the operation of another's mind. Maybe you misread bumblebee's and he was referring to their jet aircraft, or maybe he was still on the topic of motorcycles
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #40
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.
 
Solracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kemah Area
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 31,595

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Yamaha R1
2006 Yamaha YZF600R
2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC
2002 Yamaha WR250
2004 Honda CRF-50

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
The Gold Wing is limited to 180km/h (112mph) – why is that?

What we wanted to do was not develop a motorcycle that’s achieving high top speeds like 200km/h plus – that’s not a something you’d usually use, so we didn’t want to sacrifice the practical areas for that. We made the design sleeker, which resulted in a slightly smaller radiator – with the current heat management, the bike is capable of running at 200km/h, but if you really want to focus on that top speed you’d probably have to sacrifice other areas, which we thought were more important. We wanted to really maximise the areas in which the motorcycle was designed to be useful.



Presumably you have to consider every eventuality – if someone was fully loaded and flat-out on an autobahn for instance.

Yes. This is also one of the aspects that links to us dismissing our status of being a ‘king’. If you’re a king, you have to cover everything, which also means you have to cover maximum top speed, but that would mean you had to make the bike heavier, wider, bigger… less joyful to handle. That is exactly what we didn’t want – we didn’t want to compromise the handling in a practical speed range where you’d normally use a motorcycle.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...ld-wing-gl1800
So, flash it, and don't do high speed for long periods of time.
__________________
Chris
Solracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy