MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
Cello

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2019 Kaw Ninja 400

Brake Issue

I just rolled my bike out of the garage to wash it after a few weeks of being away, and I noticed that the brake pads were lightly brushing the rotors as I pushed. Is it possible that something weakened or wore out? All I can think of is a spring that pushes the caliper away, or is there something else that may cause an issue like that?

I havenít done any work on the brakes or at all, really. Itís a ninja 400, if anyone knows any specific issue with those.
Cello is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DUC 848 Rear Brake Issue Cortez31 How To's and Q & A's 3 05-31-2016 05:14 PM
KTM 690 front brake issue mrapplecastle Performance and Modifications 16 01-21-2016 06:07 PM
Brake pad recommendation/ Issue imurdanny How To's and Q & A's 12 04-07-2011 07:43 AM
Front brake Issue ~JefeR1~ How To's and Q & A's 7 07-15-2009 05:49 PM
CBR F4 PEOPLE: I HAVE A BRAKE ISSUE the_grey_john General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 08-30-2008 06:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #2
pbfoot

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2002 ZRX1200R

Stating your year and mileage would be helpful.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfoot View Post
Stating your year and mileage would be helpful.
Well, it has to be 2018 or newer.

Have you ridden it/used the brakes under load since discovering this? Just to ensure its not something that will clear out/clean out after a brake application? Just curious.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-13-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2002 ZRX1200R

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
Well, it has to be 2018 or newer.

Have you ridden it/used the brakes under load since discovering this? Just to ensure its not something that will clear out/clean out after a brake application? Just curious.
If that's the case, it probably just needs to be ridden. Pretty common for the pads and rotors to oxidize while sitting.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000

Quote:
If that's the case, it probably just needs to be ridden. Pretty common for the pads and rotors to oxidize while sitting.
That's kinda what I was thinking. That or some crud got lodged in there.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-13-2020, 08:22 AM   #6
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

Cleaning your brakes is something not many people do or are aware of and could also cause dragging. Basically pull off the calipers and pads, pump out the pistons (not all the way) and clean them with an old toothbrush/soapy water. push back in and reassemble. I do mine about 2x a year.
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #7
TaiMc

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
I just rolled my bike out of the garage to wash it after a few weeks of being away, and I noticed that the brake pads were lightly brushing the rotors as I pushed. Is it possible that something weakened or wore out? All I can think of is a spring that pushes the caliper away, or is there something else that may cause an issue like that?

I havenít done any work on the brakes or at all, really. Itís a ninja 400, if anyone knows any specific issue with those.
Hey! Do you have any photos to post? Another guy posted something about his brakes, directly relating to some Arashi footpegs he installed. Here is the post: https://www.ninja400riders.com/threa...30/#post-89183

The guys made a few suggestions. This could be not related at all, but he posted pics and I'm curious as to how your brakes look.
Mods: Two Brothers Racing S1R Black Series:Carbon fiber Slip-on (Album), ZeroGravity Racing Corsa "Light Smoke" screen (Album), LED Glow lighting kit (green-16 strips, Album), Puig sport foot pegs:Green (Album), TechSpec USA tank grips (Album), Modified "trunk space" (Album); Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit (DIY Thread)/Album)
TaiMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:06 AM   #8
Cello

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2019 Kaw Ninja 400

Quote:
I think this is going to be the issue. Someone on another forum said to do a quick ride, only use the rear brake, and feel the front rotor after a bit. It wasnít hot after a mile, so the pad wasnít really putting pressure on the rotor. I took a bit longer ride after that riding carefully and had no issues with the front end.

I had no idea that brake pads oxidized like that. I just heard the brakes scuffing and thought I was looking at a repair job.
Cello is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement