MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2022, 10:40 PM   #1
Cyclops
Old-People Shamer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2021 CBR500R
2016 CBR300R (Crushed)
2006 CBR600RR (Sold)
2015 Ninja 300 EX (Stolen by police)

I like practicing hard cornering on FM224.

Hello,

I already kinda flamed at Morganator so I'm sorry site admins(plz no ban) but I wear full gear and hunt very twisty roads to practice entry and exit paths at "not-RiderX-approved" paces(I try not to cross double yellows though). I've explored the Conroe and Livingston areas for twisty roads, and my current favorite is FM224 just north of Coldspring,TX. If you also like practicing cornering let me know and I'll gladly make the ride up to practice lines. Just as a backstory, I've been riding overall for seven years now, with the majority of that riding having been on 300CC bikes; I'm in it for the cornering and the fuel economy haha. I'm 22 and I moved down from NC to Pasadena, TX for work. I eventually plan to leave Houston and move to a more remote location.

I know most of the people here are twice my age or older (well at least it seems like it) but if any of you use Instagram, look me up @_zglexander and PM me if you're interested in riding. Stay safe
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pad Layout for Everyday Practicing... flipstyledsm22 New Riders and MSF Course Info 1 07-15-2020 09:25 AM
practicing headbutts CUSTOM ZX-14 Off Topic 4 09-13-2013 05:06 AM
Practicing my stunts, nikkuh! scrapp Off Topic 20 12-24-2006 09:03 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2022, 10:45 PM   #2
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S (SOLD)
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
2009 Kawasaki Ninja EX250J

Member Garage

Welcome to MH!

There's going to be an all motorcycle day at Speedsportz this coming Sunday (March 6th). Bring the 300 and your gear, it'll be a lot of fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-01-2022, 03:06 AM   #3
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Agree, donít pass up chance to get some track time in down here. Sounds like from your post you like to corner, which is what itís all about. Also make ride down to Angelton to check out a track day there too, and if I could offer you to come out and watch at Katy when Texas minigp starts back up in march talk to some people and start eyeing up a mini to grid up with bring a little bit of cash expect a $10 gate fee. Only mention this as some people may not carry much anymore. See you at the track.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:21 PM   #4
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

As one of the "old guys", I agree.

Before you stop reading because I'm no longer relevant just consider this...
If you hit a little debris, midcorner, say a little sand that fell off a horse trailer or a handful of hay you could wind up in a place where you can't be seen from the road. If nobody saw the actual crash, you could lay there a while. These are very real possibilities and you know it. A helmet and leather jacket won't prevent a broken arm or leg.
On the other hand...
At a track, there are no horse trailers, bread trucks or idiots on their cell phones (well, maybe in the pits). There won't be unexpected debris, all the traffic is going in the same direction, there is no speed limits and there will be no cops.
Finally, there are corner workers watching all the turns AND an ambulance on-site just in case something happens.

Once you do a track day or 2, most of us found, we start riding much more reasonable on public roads. Why would that be?
For me, it was mainly 2 things.
1) I got the speed demon that lives inside satisfied for a little while and
2) Almost every track day, somebody pushes too hard and goes down. After several years I've seen everything from losing the front, picking it back up and continuing to a broken pelvis and a bike in 2 pieces. If that had happened on a back road, he would have died.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-01-2022, 03:06 PM   #5
kd5qoq

Bike(s):
06 SV1000S
99 Triumph 900 triple
07 YZ250
90CR500R
69 Triumph Trident

bumblebee is right on the money. Remember, luck is something that always runs out.
Example; many years ago back in NY we had a secluded, closed down MX track.
I high sided and my bike came up behind me and broke my tail bone.
If you ever suffered that injury, you know the pain.
Somehow I was able to load up my bike and make it home.
If my injury had been any worse there's a good chance some one would have found my body some days later.
Once you get a taste of track day you're hooked.
Be safe and welcome to MH young man.
kd5qoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-03-2022, 09:23 AM   #6
The Morganator

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Hello,

I already kinda flamed at Morganator so I'm sorry site admins(plz no ban) but I wear full gear and hunt very twisty roads to practice entry and exit paths at "not-RiderX-approved" paces(I try not to cross double yellows though). I've explored the Conroe and Livingston areas for twisty roads, and my current favorite is FM224 just north of Coldspring,TX. If you also like practicing cornering let me know and I'll gladly make the ride up to practice lines. Just as a backstory, I've been riding overall for seven years now, with the majority of that riding having been on 300CC bikes; I'm in it for the cornering and the fuel economy haha. I'm 22 and I moved down from NC to Pasadena, TX for work. I eventually plan to leave Houston and move to a more remote location.

I know most of the people here are twice my age or older (well at least it seems like it) but if any of you use Instagram, look me up @_zglexander and PM me if you're interested in riding. Stay safe
Did i miss something?Ölol
Old 03-03-2022, 06:17 PM   #7
The Morganator

Bike(s):
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

I saw your post in the other section. You sound like an amazing rider. I think you would be a huge value to all of our riders with your knee dragging experience. Please join us and share your wealth of knowledge with us. I can provide you with perfect curvy roads to show us your awesome skills.
We have quite a few CMRA racers and level 3 tracks riders in our group but i’m sure they could still learn from you.

https://www.motohouston.com/forums/s...d.php?t=407030

Last edited by The Morganator; 03-03-2022 at 06:21 PM.
The Morganator is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-03-2022, 06:42 PM   #8
Throttle Pig
Eric

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2022 Triumph Speed Triple 1200 Ride Smart

Here is a a little clip of some Twisty action on one of our rides. Morganator was 2up so that's why we were going so slow hehe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7-K...el=ThrottlePig
Throttle Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 07:21 PM   #9
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

Nothing like the mountain twisty switchbacks. Probably best to get your kicks at the track here. Come to COTA track and you can keep your 500 wide open all day everywhere...also while you are there take a few days to ride the hill country.
Our fearless leader Solracer can take you down some goat trails in Austin and you will feel right at home.
Liked this post:
Old 03-03-2022, 07:54 PM   #10
Kenneth
Elizabeth Rocks!

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'19 Tuono Factory
'18 Tuono RR (sold)
'15 Street Triple R (sold)
'15 FZ6R (terrible bike) (sold)
'90 Katana 750 (sold)

I hope you will join a Morganator ride. Iím past the century mark but still learning and I could use a mentor.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:59 AM   #11
imma_stocker
cager

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years

Dragging knee on the street...

Go try some parade laps at the track. Angleton track has short straights and tight turns to really take advantage of the lightweight 300cc.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:43 AM   #12
Cyclops
Old-People Shamer

Bike(s):
2021 CBR500R
2016 CBR300R (Crushed)
2006 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Welcome to MH!

There's going to be an all motorcycle day at Speedsportz this coming Sunday (March 6th). Bring the 300 and your gear, it'll be a lot of fun
That actually sounds like a lot of fun, I guess my Sunday is booked haha. I ride a CBR500R now though so hopefully it doesn't get me into trouble; I've only owned a 600RR briefly in the past with all else 300Rs, so we'll see how I do on a gokart track.
Liked this post:
Old 03-05-2022, 06:47 AM   #13
Cyclops
Old-People Shamer

Bike(s):
2021 CBR500R
2016 CBR300R (Crushed)
2006 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
Agree, donít pass up chance to get some track time in down here. Sounds like from your post you like to corner, which is what itís all about. Also make ride down to Angelton to check out a track day there too, and if I could offer you to come out and watch at Katy when Texas minigp starts back up in march talk to some people and start eyeing up a mini to grid up with bring a little bit of cash expect a $10 gate fee. Only mention this as some people may not carry much anymore. See you at the track.
I've gone a step ahead of you! I have a RideSmart course for MSRH set up for April 24 already but I do want to see the other tracks around here. Where I'm from in Western NC the only tracks are big ovals, so everyone I used to ride with that liked cornering would just go to the mountains -- I've never actually tracked a bike, believe it or not, just mountain passes! I have gotten my knee to touch the ground though (sparingly, I'm a scaredy-cat).

MiniGP sounds cool though and it's close-by, I'll check it out.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:51 AM   #14
Cyclops
Old-People Shamer

Bike(s):
2021 CBR500R
2016 CBR300R (Crushed)
2006 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
As one of the "old guys", I agree.

Before you stop reading because I'm no longer relevant just consider this...
If you hit a little debris, midcorner, say a little sand that fell off a horse trailer or a handful of hay you could wind up in a place where you can't be seen from the road. If nobody saw the actual crash, you could lay there a while. These are very real possibilities and you know it. A helmet and leather jacket won't prevent a broken arm or leg.
On the other hand...
At a track, there are no horse trailers, bread trucks or idiots on their cell phones (well, maybe in the pits). There won't be unexpected debris, all the traffic is going in the same direction, there is no speed limits and there will be no cops.
Finally, there are corner workers watching all the turns AND an ambulance on-site just in case something happens.

Once you do a track day or 2, most of us found, we start riding much more reasonable on public roads. Why would that be?
For me, it was mainly 2 things.
1) I got the speed demon that lives inside satisfied for a little while and
2) Almost every track day, somebody pushes too hard and goes down. After several years I've seen everything from losing the front, picking it back up and continuing to a broken pelvis and a bike in 2 pieces. If that had happened on a back road, he would have died.
Hey don't let my old people shaming fool you, my whole experience on two wheels has been on roads covered with dirt, gravel, snow, turkeys, you name it. I 100% agree about tracks; back home, though, we don't have any "good-to-corner" tracks and I lived 30 mins from the East edge of the Appalachians, so street-cornering always won haha. I responded to another guy already but I plan to start track riding now that they're nearby.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:53 AM   #15
Cyclops
Old-People Shamer

Bike(s):
2021 CBR500R
2016 CBR300R (Crushed)
2006 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5qoq View Post
bumblebee is right on the money. Remember, luck is something that always runs out.
Example; many years ago back in NY we had a secluded, closed down MX track.
I high sided and my bike came up behind me and broke my tail bone.
If you ever suffered that injury, you know the pain.
Somehow I was able to load up my bike and make it home.
If my injury had been any worse there's a good chance some one would have found my body some days later.
Once you get a taste of track day you're hooked.
Be safe and welcome to MH young man.
Thanks for the welcome

I'll get my taste on April 24th at MSRH so don't worry, I'll be on the bandwagon soon enough if it's any good. With how flat it is around Houston though I don't think I have much of a choice...
Old 03-05-2022, 07:04 AM   #16
Cyclops
Old-People Shamer

Bike(s):
2021 CBR500R
2016 CBR300R (Crushed)
2006 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morganator View Post
I saw your post in the other section. You sound like an amazing rider. I think you would be a huge value to all of our riders with your knee dragging experience. Please join us and share your wealth of knowledge with us. I can provide you with perfect curvy roads to show us your awesome skills.
We have quite a few CMRA racers and level 3 tracks riders in our group but iím sure they could still learn from you.

https://www.motohouston.com/forums/s...d.php?t=407030
I probably shouldn't talk myself up too much, I was just basing what I said off of one of Kenneth's old videos (and the rage spurred from reading RiderX's guidelines smh). I do get my knee down though when I'm not being scared about it (knee dragging is kinda painful lol). I'll bet these pro-riders are much better than I am though; if anything I'll be learning from them probably. Just no stuck-in-traffic rides like the guidelines suggested please lol.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:10 AM   #17
Cyclops
Old-People Shamer

Bike(s):
2021 CBR500R
2016 CBR300R (Crushed)
2006 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle Pig View Post
Here is a a little clip of some Twisty action on one of our rides. Morganator was 2up so that's why we were going so slow hehe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7-K...el=ThrottlePig
Lol I don't know if I could even keep up at those speeds on the straight sections on my 500r. I think my idea of "twisty" might be a little tighter than those big 'ol turns haha. I bet they'd be fun though lol, I'll just have to play catch-up until we hit some actual turns lol.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:22 AM   #18
Kenneth
Elizabeth Rocks!

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'19 Tuono Factory
'18 Tuono RR (sold)
'15 Street Triple R (sold)
'15 FZ6R (terrible bike) (sold)
'90 Katana 750 (sold)

I think all of our ideas of twisty or tighter than that. We ride an hour or more outside of the city to get to things that even resemble twisty. of course, thereís always the tracks.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:36 AM   #19
The Morganator

Bike(s):
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

Quote:
Lol I don't know if I could even keep up at those speeds on the straight sections on my 500r. I think my idea of "twisty" might be a little tighter than those big 'ol turns haha. I bet they'd be fun though lol, I'll just have to play catch-up until we hit some actual turns lol.
Our routes have a wide array of curves. We have very technical roads with all 30 mph curves. Some with 45 mph and others with higher speed sweepers. Join us and be part of the fun.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:42 AM   #20
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
2007 BMW K1200S (SOLD)
1983 Kawasaki KZ750L3
1994 Honda Shadow VT600C
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
2009 Kawasaki Ninja EX250J

Member Garage

Quote:
That actually sounds like a lot of fun, I guess my Sunday is booked haha. I ride a CBR500R now though so hopefully it doesn't get me into trouble; I've only owned a 600RR briefly in the past with all else 300Rs, so we'll see how I do on a gokart track.
A couple guys brought out their 600's and one had a SV650 too. Plenty of 450 sumos along with a few that are punched out to a 490. They carve out that go kart track pretty good. But don't let the little bikes fool you either plenty of those people are fast AF and are fun to get towed around the corners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?

Formally - Toe
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement