MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2020, 01:49 AM   #21
TaiMc

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5qoq View Post
Right now I have 3 Shoei helmets both MX and street.
I have tried on Arai and noticed (for me anyway) they tend to fit a more round head shape than my noggin.
I have a somewhat more narrow head and it just seems Shoei has always fit me better.
I'm not the only person that has noticed this.
You are correct...Arai seems to fit more of a "round" shape.
Mods: Two Brothers Racing S1R Black Series:Carbon fiber Slip-on (Album), ZeroGravity Racing Corsa "Light Smoke" screen (Album), LED Glow lighting kit (green-16 strips, Album), Puig sport foot pegs:Green (Album), TechSpec USA tank grips (Album), Modified "trunk space" (Album); Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit (DIY Thread)/Album)
TaiMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helmet Opinions Chuckster Gear Talk 18 02-16-2011 07:59 AM
Suomy Helmet Opinions.. yellowjacket Gear Talk 55 06-04-2009 12:43 AM
Opinions on a AGV helmet Jay Gear Talk 18 05-28-2008 01:50 PM
Need opinions on this Helmet. Andy General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 05-01-2007 09:58 PM
Good Opinions on Alarms? pers785 Off Topic 4 08-23-2006 06:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #22
Miloman

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
Ducati desmosedici RR (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5qoq View Post
Right now I have 3 Shoei helmets both MX and street.
I have tried on Arai and noticed (for me anyway) they tend to fit a more round head shape than my noggin.
I have a somewhat more narrow head and it just seems Shoei has always fit me better.
I'm not the only person that has noticed this.
I was under the impression it was the opposite, that shoei fit a more round head and Arai fit a narrow head better? This is interesting to think Iíve had it wrong all these years thinking Arai fit a skinny head better(I know, thatís what she said). The more feedback I get the more Iím gravitating towards a shoei and away from an AGV. For reference my head shape is a cross between a Parasaurolophus and Mr.Conehead.
Click image for larger version

Name:	A234A209-2661-4A71-B701-00F96E8FFF83.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	105127

Name:	14F76833-D94A-4CD5-92A6-A70B5E950A08.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	105128
Miloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #23
Miloman

Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD#270 View Post
Arai and Shoei are probably your 2 best options. The high end Bell is also very good but beware of the low and mid priced Bell helmets. Not that they are bad, but they don't compare to the higher end helmets in terms of comfort and wind noise.Usually a customer best fits either an Arai or Shoei, but not both. Depending on the shape of your melon one of these brands will fit your head better right out of the box. I currently wear an Arai Corsair X but it requires swapping out parts to fit properly. Both have different thickness interchangeable cheek pads but they do not come with the helmet and have be purchased adding to the already expensive lid. Trying them on before you buy is the only way to really know which brand is best for you. The problem is finding a shop that stocks both Arai and Shoei helmets. Usually one or the other. Once you determine which helmet you want let me know and I'll price it for you with an MH discount. I try to meet or hopefully beat online or other shops pricing for Arai and Shoei helmets. Let me know if I can help. Other brands of helmets also apply.
Thanks for the info Bill it is much appreciated, Iíve got it narrowed down to two helmets. Once I finally decided on which one I will definitely send you a pm for price request/availability thank you
Liked this post:
Old 01-07-2020, 09:15 AM   #24
BD#270

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-10R race bike
2016 Honda Grom
KTM 65 Motard
TTR BBR 153

Send a message via AIM to BD#270
Love the Shoei X-14 in that color!!! You might also consider helmet ratings. I personally recommend a Snell rated helmet. You don't have to break the bank to purchase a Snell rated lid, Bell and HJC have them starting at around $100.
BD#270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-07-2020, 09:34 AM   #25
Miloman

Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
I like my Shoei and have used the RF series since the 800. Currently have couple RF1200s. I would get X14 if I actually raced, but for street duty the RF1200 is great.

AGV was a close fit when I tried them at the MotoGP last year, but I didn't but any.

That being said, why don't you stick what works for you. I tried Arais, but couldn't get one to fit right.
I really just want to try something different to ďcompare apples to applesĒ as long as it fits good. I love my Arais and honestly have never really had one complaint against them, I still wear a Corsair 7 tommygun sometimes thatís 14-15 years old with around 50k miles of riding time on it and itís still goin strong. I put a Corsair V to the pavement at around 90mph and didnít even have a headache afterwards so it definitely did itís job well/ no complaints.

Iím leaning towards a shoei x14 based on all the recommendations so far, unless it just doesnít fit me right once I try it on
Liked this post:
Old 01-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #26
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

AGV guy here. The K1 is calling my name, I'm more of a weekend warrior though.
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #27
cesj

Bike(s):
2019 Speed Triple Ride Smart
2009 YZF-R1
2007 YZF R6
TZ250

Here is the link to the podcast discussion. Fast forward to 55:18

https://soundcloud.com/braptalk/episode-17
cesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-07-2020, 07:40 PM   #28
Miloman

Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesj View Post
Here is the link to the podcast discussion. Fast forward to 55:18

https://soundcloud.com/braptalk/episode-17
Interesting talk, one of my dirt helmets has mips technology. For those like me who live under a rock, mips technology or ďmulti-directional impact protection systemĒ is designed to reduce rotational forces caused by angled impacts. The shell and liner are separated by a low friction layer or flexible shell that allows the helmet to ďflexĒ just enough (few centimeters) to reduce a large amount of energy or force. Several dirt bike, snowmobile, athletic sports, winter sports use mips technology. To my knowledge the only full face streetbike helmet manufacturer in the USA that uses mips technology is the Bell. I had considered trying a bell star early on in my search.
Liked this post:
Old 01-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #29
Miloman

Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)

Name:	B0BF7871-C795-43DB-ADF0-82C9E152219C.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	105245
Liked this post:
Old 01-30-2020, 09:56 AM   #30
Reduxalicious
OR IS IT?!

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1999 BMW R1100S
2016 BMW R1200R

I've had good luck with the Schuberth's and Arai's never tried shoei yet
Old 01-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #31
dillinger

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2019 Ninja 400

Been wearing the x14 for 9ish months and love it as well. They have them available to try on at cycletrader and some dealers (I know mancuso did) so go slap one on your dome and see how comfy it is.

The vents it has are awesome, easily compatible with cameras and comm systems (I have a cardo on mine and it hasn't moved at all... even came with cutouts for the mic and speakers), and is SNELL rated so you can take it to the track if you want.

Only con is $$ but I think gear is always worth it.
dillinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #32
HaywoodJablomi
Teh Angry Asian

Bike(s):
2006 zx10r blew that up
2013 zx14r The beast mode bike
2007 Hayabusa The Here I am officer bike

I've had arai...rpha...bell...multiple shoei over the years. I loved my shoei x12 and when the x14s came out I jumped on it. Ive had 5 since 2017. Rf1200 is also a nice option and considered the street version of the x14s. A little lighter but not as many options with all the vents and certainly not the top end stability the x14s have. Like 1 user said the x14 can be adjusted multiple ways so that you can see more when in a full tuck w your chin to the tank if that's how you ride.
Price wise you'll pay for those options. But if you're not the type to go thru multiple helmets like I am the sticker price should be moot. As with anything in life you get what you pay for. Cheap isnt always better and better isnt always cheap.

I have a post selling brand new x14s for way below retail. 14 on hand all brand new in the box thru my sponsor.
HaywoodJablomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #33
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD#270 View Post
Love the Shoei X-14 in that color!!! You might also consider helmet ratings. I personally recommend a Snell rated helmet. You don't have to break the bank to purchase a Snell rated lid, Bell and HJC have them starting at around $100.
My last HJC I got it will Bill.
And like the others have said already, if you have been in a big crash, you know what a good helmet is!!!
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-30-2020, 10:56 PM   #34
TaiMc

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miloman View Post
There it is! That helmet is HAWTTT!

Great choice! When do you get it? Did you order it after you tried one on in a store?

How did it fit?
Mods: Two Brothers Racing S1R Black Series:Carbon fiber Slip-on (Album), ZeroGravity Racing Corsa "Light Smoke" screen (Album), LED Glow lighting kit (green-16 strips, Album), Puig sport foot pegs:Green (Album), TechSpec USA tank grips (Album), Modified "trunk space" (Album); Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit (DIY Thread)/Album)
Old 01-31-2020, 09:37 PM   #35
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
a lot of sv's and
a little 'bout love

Member Garage

This is probably not going to win any popularity contests or anything like that, but I really like my cheap bilt ADV helmet. I don't remember the model name. It's their least fancy. Fit and finish is surprisingly good, as well as comfort. I've never owned a shoei or arai, but have had a few nice scorpions, hjc, and whatnot. I came to this lid from a modular scorpion, and vastly prefer this helmet. My only gripe is that changing shields is kind of a pain in the . You have to unscrew two big plastic screws from the hinge, swap shields, screw in the screws, flip the visor up and down a few times and then try and screw in the screws a little tighter. The helmet cost me a whopping 75 bucks.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-01-2020, 12:57 AM   #36
TaiMc

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
...My only gripe is that changing shields is kind of a pain in the . You have to unscrew two big plastic screws from the hinge, swap shields, screw in the screws, flip the visor up and down a few times and then try and screw in the screws a little tighter...
What I find crazy is that all helmets don't come with an option for a transition visor/lens. I feel like every brand should have one available. They are sooo convenient. This is 2020...these visors should be plentiful, even for the most affordable helmet! *Had to vent a lil*

But glad you're enjoying your helmet! How is the buffeting? Any loud noise with it?
Liked this post:
Old 02-01-2020, 07:14 AM   #37
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
a lot of sv's and
a little 'bout love

Member Garage

It's a fairly loud helmet, and I thought there'd be more buffeting at higher speeds, but it's not so. If you put in ear plugs, you can ride comfortably without your head being pushed around. It feels the same at 65 as it does in the triple digits.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #38
ninenine
cmra expert#99

Bike(s):
2018 YZF-R6
2017 YZF-R3

Arai FTW. Only helmet that will go on my head.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:Ready Garage,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Moul, Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Superbike Unlimited, CoreMoto, Alpinestars, BlueCru, Armour Bodies, RES
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement