MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure

Another Macgyver Moment

Today I was out on the GS and I had a macgyver episode with a harley broken down on the side of the road.

No power. Nothing. Bike just quit.

I have a lot of tools on the GS so we started taking apart. Checked the battery cables... fine. Checked the fuses, once we found them... nada. He had a lot of custom wiring for accessories on the bike... started looking for connector issues or shorts.

Every once in a while the instrument lights would flicker, leaving us to think it might be a short or loose connection.

Another guy stopped and had one of those fancy portable battery jumpers. The jaws on it sucked so we couldnít get a good connection to the battery. He held it there. Didnít seem to improve. Then all of the sudden the back lights went on while I was fiddling with the positive battery cable and and the addíl accessories.

Took it completely off, inspected, and reassembled... nothing.

The owner gave up and called a wrecker.

As I was repacking all the tools I kept thinking about SimTune and occamís razor. For the of it, and to try out my new motorcycle jumper cables I had him pull his battery cover off and I did the same.

My cables had better clamps and we were able to get a connection. Sure as , the lights all came on. After a couple of minutes he hit the starter and it made that rattling sound indicative of a low battery. Let it charge for ten minutes... same result.

Finally his wife jumped on the back of my bike and we went and bought a new battery. Got back and in five minutes with the new battery his bike was running.

Occamís razor baby.

And we got it running
Double macgyver day... MaxGs General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 09-30-2017 10:50 PM
Take 1 Moment To see this... __NATE__ Off Topic 7 11-26-2008 07:14 AM
11-23 TWS (Texas World Speedway) oh S**t moment striker General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 11-25-2008 02:05 PM
A moment...9/11 lilmckee Off Topic 2 09-11-2008 08:04 AM
What ever happend to macgyver?? scrapp Off Topic 2 12-04-2006 08:18 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Reminds me of a thread in supermotojunkie.com. guys husky was running rough. I told him to replace the battery because even a slight weakness in it can make the husky run horrible. Guy refused because he tested it. His shop couldn't fix it. Husky sent some master tech on it and he couldn't fix it. A year goes by and he finally listens to me....it was the battery.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-07-2018, 11:42 PM   #3
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

First glance at the pic and looked like he was parked @ MSR Houston - I was thinking - he riding that thing there????
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
gixxerbill

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
First glance at the pic and looked like he was parked @ MSR Houston - I was thinking - he riding that thing there????
lol that's what I thought too.
gixxerbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #5
Phydeaux
Flat Black > Rash

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Phydeaux
Had a customer in last week with an '08 Tiffin Allegro Bus diesel pusher. They were on the way to Arizona and had stopped by Freightliner for PM service. 100 miles down the road they started having electrical issues (fridge, rear and cornering cameras, etc.). They stopped 3 times at 3 different shops and spent over 1k in isolator solenoids and I can't remember what else. 5 minutes into diag I found a battery cable disconnected from the chassis battery bank to the coach battery bank isolator. Connected the cable and tracked down a blown 15 amp fuse. Charged an hour labor and wound up with some VERY satisfied customers. Good times and most importantly thank you OP for being a good Samaritan.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #6
FXDS1340

Bike(s):
2015 Suzuki GSX-S750
1997 H-D XL1200

Late model twin cams kill batteries. Inadequate charging system for all the sophisticated electronics and fuel injection system plus the heat they put off. The charging system on the Milwaukee 8's is a lot better.

In 100,000+ miles on my evo, I never had to replace any component of the charging system. Not the norm, but I never killed batteries either.
FXDS1340 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement