MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
classala
3-Lap Rider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Beyond the Track: 1st meeting happening in Jan 17

After running a survey and chatting with other fellow riders, I've decided to get things in motion and create a new type of meetup for riders who either ride at the track or are considering it.

The first meetup is happening on Jan 17! The idea was to have it about 2 weeks before the Ridesmart track day season starts at MSRH on Feb 3.

If you’ve never done a track day before, chances are that you have many questions in your mind: “Is it safe? Can I ride my own bike? How does it all work?”, to list only a few. If you have done one or two track days and got hooked, chances are that you also have many questions: “How do I get better? How can I ride faster and safer? How can I learn more while I’m not at the track?”.

With people in any of those groups in mind, we’re putting together a different type of meet-up, where we get together in a training room type of environment and share videos, photos, and other helpful information; everything put together in order to help the fellow novice track riders.

This meeting is NOT a replacement for what you will learn with Ridesmart. Quite the contrary: the idea is to enhance your experience, so you can get the most out of your track days, hearing from novice, intermediate and more experienced riders who are always willing to share their knowledge.

Depending on the type of response we get from riders, we’re planning on making this a monthly meeting.

Here’s the location:
10111 Richmond Ave, Suite 100
Houston, TX 77042

Free parking available in front of the main entrance.

Free pizza and soft drinks will be provided. Big thanks to Improving for letting us use their training room and providing us food and drinks!

If you're thinking about going, please sign up at:
https://www.meetup.com/Texas-Sport-B...nts/246458053/

That way I can get an estimated headcount, which will help me with the logistics.

Looking forward to getting this started!
classala is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's happening to Hot 95-7 FM? NewsBot Entertainment 0 12-30-2016 12:40 PM
What's Happening Unkie-R1 Introduction Forum 27 09-08-2008 07:36 PM
The Happening.... NorthHoustonGSXR Off Topic 52 06-17-2008 10:13 AM
is anything happening sat september 15 molkshake Events, Meets and Rides 1 09-13-2007 10:12 AM
Anything Happening 1/9 or 1/10 RideToDie Events, Meets and Rides 5 01-11-2006 01:34 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
Leave Hard

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
08 GSX-R600

Wow, my office is on the same block. Too bad I have an obligation that night. Maybe next time.
Leave Hard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leave Hard View Post
Wow, my office is on the same block. Too bad I have an obligation that night. Maybe next time.

Dang it!

Hopefully we will be having these on a monthly basis a
Old 01-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

A good number of people are signed up for this meetup. Really looking forward to it.

If are thinking of going but hasn't signed up, please do so, that way I can take care of the logistics (main things being the room being set up for the people we expect to have, and also enough pizza ordered to feed us).

Old 01-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

I like the idea.
I can be there for support as well.
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:08 PM   #6
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Great!

I just realized the link I pasted got messed up. Here's the good one:

Really looking forward to this thing started and keep it going.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:27 AM   #7
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

Gonna try to swing by!
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:37 AM   #8
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Doubt I can make it downtown by that time but just to throw out some ideas.

I would say a funny video to break the ice could help. Yamaha out on some funny ones. The Ben Spies Method comes to mind. The segway into frim that would be all about visualization. You could even work in an activity of sketching a track outline with eyes closed and seeing how good you do.

Another demonstration I think is good is to bring an unmounted tire and watch the contact patch grow on the inside as you push it into the groud at various lean angles. Then without pushing it down show that it can be kicked out easily, and then when pushed into the ground hard it is virtually impossible for someone (pick a person to help) to try and kick it out. The idea being that loading the tires gives you grip.

Last thought, a home work asignment to practice in a parking lot some figure 8s and smooth direction changs, a lot can be learned at 20-25mph exercises. Below is a quick link of an extream example of what some do in such limited spaces. Jorge Lorenzos father has some intresting ideas in this area and focuses on riding training in repeatable presise maner at lower speeds translating to higer speeds later.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #9
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Cool, man!
Old 01-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
proasian3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
Doubt I can make it downtown by that time but just to throw out some ideas.

I would say a funny video to break the ice could help. Yamaha out on some funny ones. The Ben Spies Method comes to mind. The segway into frim that would be all about visualization. You could even work in an activity of sketching a track outline with eyes closed and seeing how good you do.

Another demonstration I think is good is to bring an unmounted tire and watch the contact patch grow on the inside as you push it into the groud at various lean angles. Then without pushing it down show that it can be kicked out easily, and then when pushed into the ground hard it is virtually impossible for someone (pick a person to help) to try and kick it out. The idea being that loading the tires gives you grip.

Last thought, a home work asignment to practice in a parking lot some figure 8s and smooth direction changs, a lot can be learned at 20-25mph exercises. Below is a quick link of an extream example of what some do in such limited spaces. Jorge Lorenzos father has some intresting ideas in this area and focuses on riding training in repeatable presise maner at lower speeds translating to higer speeds later.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMULhN6XchE
They had a similar set up at the COTA MotoGP recently with the local Texas local fast kids. It was really cool!
Old 01-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Thanks for the input! I'm taking notes and keeping all of that in mind.

I probably won't be doing some of that, though, because it falls into Ridesmart's territory, and I absolutely do not want to replace what they do (I'm not even close to being qualified to do that). Quite the contrary, my goal is to enhance riders' experience of track days, sharing the things I'm going through as a beginner (so it'll probably be easier for other beginners to relate to), and covering the things I'm doing to improve my riding while I'm not at the track.

Since we'll have more experienced attending the meetings, too, I then hope to help bridge the gap between beginner and advanced riders.

Let's see how things go. That's the initial idea, and I'll just it based on how it goes.

And by the way, funny video to break the ice is a great idea; I tend to use that when I do presentations, and I think this time won't be different. I'll use the video you sent and add a funny remark to it.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #12
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

I hope to see some of you tomorrow! If you haven't indicated you'll be there, please do so in the link below, so I can make sure we have enough free pizza.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #13
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

To those wondering: I'm monitoring weather and traffic (https://traffic.houstontranstar.org/...c=true&rc=true), and it seems like we should be ok to keep the meeting tonight. I stayed up late last night (2am!) working on the content I want to share, so the weather better cooperate!
Liked this post:
Old 01-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #14
proasian3

I can probably still make it out barring any new unforseen honey-dos. For all of you that can show we'll be giving away a free Ridesmart trackday for this MSRH this February. See you there!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #15
classala
3-Lap Rider

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4i

Woohoo! Thanks for getting that going for us, dude!

I'm working from home at the moment, but just heard from people in the office that things are just fine over there right now, so we should be good!
Old 01-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #16
proasian3

Look at this guy
Old 01-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #17
classala
3-Lap Rider