MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2018, 06:13 AM   #41
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

never once in my over 50 years of riding have I ever thought "well, I am going to go down so this might as well be the day", I tend to think more along the lines of riding so this is NOT the day. We are human and have human limitations, and we deal with the limitations of other humans...lots of folks have ambitions that exceed their ability. I ride in such a manner as to reduce the risk of that being my problem. Know that if you ride long enough at some point you will go down, but ride every day, every time, to reduce this being the day. , if you drive a cage long enough, you are going to be in an accident, just a fact of life and sometimes I think being in the Houston area is a multiplying factor in the odds.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GSXR stunt cage and Sub cage Miahjera04 Motorcycle Parts and Accessories 8 09-30-2013 12:44 AM
4/28/10 M&G 7PM - Riders Helpin Riders – Pasadena Hooter's Flip Events, Meets and Rides 221 05-09-2010 10:44 PM
11/17 M&G 7PM - Riders Helpin Riders – Wings Pizza N Things Flip Events, Meets and Rides 136 11-18-2009 04:30 PM
For Racers, Track Riders, Street Riders, Cruisers yellowjacket General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 09-21-2009 09:20 PM
BMW Riders/Honda Riders/Kawasaki Riders...read on BlackWidow General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-24-2008 05:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #42
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Princess* View Post

I'd say so. Texting while driving much?!

Are you alright?
Yep, texting driver........oh wait, their insurance said I can’t prove that. it’s a long story on the chain of events, but I somehow got thrown from the bike about 10’ and landed on my side/back. I was fully geared up like usual and only had some bruising. The hyper was toast. but I got enough money to fund my new project
Old 10-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #43
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
18 Honda Grom

I also don’t believe in the “everyone crashes” mentality, but I do believe you need to be prepared in case it happens, sometimes it’s beyond your control.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #44
*Princess*
---- AKA W.O.T. ----

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2016 Ninja 650
2014 Ninja 300SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
Yep, texting driver........oh wait, their insurance said I can’t prove that. it’s a long story on the chain of events, but I somehow got thrown from the bike about 10’ and landed on my side/back. I was fully geared up like usual and only had some bruising. The hyper was toast. but I got enough money to fund my new project

Poor Hyper.

Glad you weren't crushed along with it.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:53 PM   #45
*Princess*
---- AKA W.O.T. ----

Bike(s):
2016 Ninja 650
2014 Ninja 300SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
never once in my over 50 years of riding have I ever thought "well, I am going to go down so this might as well be the day"
Maybe YOU haven't, but I worry that being told "Remember this, there are two kinds of motorcycle riders: Those who have crashed and those that are going to." could put that thought in some riders heads when they're coming into a turn a little too hot or the like - in the moment they have to make an instant decision of what to do.

Like you, I know that crashing is an absolute possibility every time I get on a bike, and like you, I do everything I can to stay safe. Part of that, for me, is to have a positive mind-set and a productive game-plan.

Do what works for you, and ride your own ride.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #46
*Princess*
---- AKA W.O.T. ----

Bike(s):
2016 Ninja 650
2014 Ninja 300SE

They may be few and far between, but there ARE riders who haven't crashed and who never will.

Hoping and praying I am one of those.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:03 AM   #47
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Princess* View Post
Maybe YOU haven't, but I worry that being told "Remember this, there are two kinds of motorcycle riders: Those who have crashed and those that are going to." could put that thought in some riders heads when they're coming into a turn a little too hot or the like - in the moment they have to make an instant decision of what to do.

Like you, I know that crashing is an absolute possibility every time I get on a bike, and like you, I do everything I can to stay safe. Part of that, for me, is to have a positive mind-set and a productive game-plan.

Do what works for you, and ride your own ride.
I may be a realist, or I may just be an . I do not believe that going down is just a possibility, I think it is an eventuality. I am a strict constitutional conservative so understand that when I say one "should" or "should not" it is just a personal opinion and in no way suggests that I think any law or rule should be passed to prevent someone from doing what they want or make them do something they do not want to do.
I think that there are folks who simply should not ride, the same as I think there are folks who should not own a firearm or skydive...if one is the type to panic in exciting situations, that one should not ride, carry a firearm or skydive....among other things. You will likely be riding your own ride when you go down.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #48
*Princess*
---- AKA W.O.T. ----

Bike(s):
2016 Ninja 650
2014 Ninja 300SE

At this point I’d say you’re the later…and a pessimist. I respected your opinion and your diplomacy until this post. I appreciated that you use the saying as motivation for riding safe and I explained why I reject it. My last post was very gracious and I get this insulting response from you.

I have stated that I am very aware of the danger of riding, I know that crashing is a very real possibility, and that I am as prepared as I can be; part of which is having a positive mental attitude. Not sure where you got the impression that I’m walking around with my head in the clouds, oblivious.

Telling someone they are going to crash is like putting a curse on them. Extremely rude and extremely hateful. I don’t appreciate it.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #49
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

it might be rude, hateful and you might resent it, but it does not change the fact that if you ride long enough, you are going to crash. I had no intention of insulting you with my post, but a simple fact of life is that if you ride your ride you are still a human, still on the road or the track and subject to the laws of nature and it was not a poke at you when I said you will likely be riding your ride when you go down. I am not a pessimist, I simply am aware that many of the things that bring me pleasure have risk associated with them. If you do those things often enough and long enough, the odds will catch up to you.

Last edited by obed; 10-26-2018 at 02:46 PM.
obed is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #50
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
it might be rude, hateful and you might resent it, but it does not change the fact that if you ride long enough, you are going to crash. I had no intention of insulting you with my post, but a simple fact of life is that if you ride your ride you are still a human, still on the road or the track and subject to the laws of nature and it was not a poke at you when I said you will likely be riding your ride when you go down. I am not a pessimist, I simply am aware that many of the things that bring me pleasure have risk associated with them. If you do those things often enough and long enough, the odds will catch up to you.
I couldn't agree more.
Quote:
There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old and bold riders.
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement