MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2017, 09:53 PM   #1
CARVER

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR1000RR
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk [stolen]

Send a message via Skype™ to CARVER
Will not start

4 years ago collided with car. hadn't tried to run it since. Just sat in garage this whole time. Now I'm itching to ride again, bad. BUT...
Bike will fire up when using starter fluid, but dies after. Checked petcock and fuel flow no issues. Fresh fuel and carb was rebuilt and cleaned out. Must be issue between the fuel valve and carb intake to cylinder. Or could it be something else. I want to say its not getting fuel to the carb, but when i disconnect the fuel lines from tank, they have fuel in them. Is it at all possible they could be clogged? Thats a pretty big diameter.

And when testing the vacuum to the petcock for fuel flow, I got a proper size hose and connected it to the vacuum port and began to suck and it would initially open up and fuel would start to flow but would eventually stop. Does that suggest the diaphragm needs to be replaced? How exactly is that supposed to work?

Also, how do I drain the fuel lines at the carb when I know the bike will sit for a while? Any pictures would greatly help identify what it is as well.
I sure would appreciate any help on this, esp if wanna swing by and help me out, or I'd be happy with a phone call too 7.1.3-9.0.0-6.4.5.3 mike
CARVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 cbr 929rr no start ign switch broken what wire goes were so i can start it rparker1978 How To's and Q & A's 9 09-01-2014 11:50 PM
What can this be???? Won't Start... luckyxdevil1 How To's and Q & A's 36 08-30-2013 02:02 PM
Guy on the end is off to a bad start! Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 09-29-2011 10:53 AM
R6 won't start Deathmask How To's and Q & A's 13 07-05-2011 11:16 PM
Not trying to start anything paniro187 Stunters Lounge 65 06-24-2007 10:01 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

How old is the gas?
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
CARVER

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR1000RR

fresh gas, even added in some stabil and a bit of octane booster to this tank
Old 11-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

It sounds definitely like a fuel issue.

To clarify, what bike are we talking about?

To answer your questions:
The petcock should flow fuel as long as there is a vacuum. The diaphragm might need to be replaced. I've also seen petcocks that were full of and wouldn't flow right. Might be a good idea to see if there is a rebuild kit available.
Each carb should have a screw at the bottom of the float bowl and a piece of plastic hose hanging down. To drain the fuel line and float bowl, turn off petcock, open the screw and fuel should run p
out of the hose.

My guess is the carbs need to be cleaned. I know you said they were but I'm betting they weren't cleaned completely.
If it was me, I would order new jets and replace them while you're at it. They are cheap and then you can be sure they are clean. It's almost impossible to get them really clean inside the tiny orifice.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
CARVER

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
It sounds definitely like a fuel issue.

To clarify, what bike are we talking about?

To answer your questions:
The petcock should flow fuel as long as there is a vacuum. The diaphragm might need to be replaced. I've also seen petcocks that were full of and wouldn't flow right. Might be a good idea to see if there is a rebuild kit available.
Each carb should have a screw at the bottom of the float bowl and a piece of plastic hose hanging down. To drain the fuel line and float bowl, turn off petcock, open the screw and fuel should run p
out of the hose.

My guess is the carbs need to be cleaned. I know you said they were but I'm betting they weren't cleaned completely.
If it was me, I would order new jets and replace them while you're at it. They are cheap and then you can be sure they are clean. It's almost impossible to get them really clean inside the tiny orifice.

Thx bee, sorry for long time response. I appreciate your help

Advertisement