MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

Triumph Sprint build

So I've had this '06 Sprint ST a little over a year now, and it was purchased as a replacement for my green one that flooded during Harvey. Figured I could use this to document my build and get feedback/ideas. If we're friends on FB or Instagram, you've probably already seen everything I'm going to post today, but I'll post here again as I have more done.

(flood of pics to follow once I get them organized)
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 Triumph Sprint S/T Madmaxd Motorcycles For Sale 1 04-25-2013 10:14 AM
2000 Triumph Sprint Ride Smart Diderich Motorcycles For Sale 5 09-10-2011 08:16 AM
2008 Sprint ST Triumph morvegil Motorcycles For Sale 2 07-15-2011 09:00 PM
Triumph Sprint ST morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 01-15-2010 10:02 PM
Thinking about a 05 or 06 Triumph Sprint ST bigcomfy General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 09-29-2005 06:37 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #2
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

First off, the permanent (I hope) album link where all the pics will end up. Go here to see things full-size, as I'm not doing all the url tagging to just click the pic. https://imgur.com/a/SZcaAPr

The bike when I got it:

Wasn't planning on repairing the damaged fairings, I liked my other one naked, and it's not too difficult to make the mods necessary.

Got the Two Brothers exhaust on that I'd pulled off the old Sprint... had to do something to replace that stupid GP-style tip they put on the end of the mid pipe under the tail.

There was a lot of wiring, normally tucked into the front fairing, that I had to deal with once I got the headlight and mini-fairing placement sorted...

...quite a bit. It all tucks inside the frame around the air box nice enough though.

While scared up, the stator cover at least did not need to be replaced. I sanded it out and added some R&G sliders on both sides.

With everything back together it was ready for road-worthy inspection and registration.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

Next thing to address was the coolant overflow reservoir. I really liked having the Lone Star beer can as the overflow on my Venture, but wanted something a little more professional. Enter the aluminum water bottle. Shaved the lid and drilled it to run a hose through to the bottom of the can, then put another toward the top on the side as an overflow vent. Eventually (hopefully soon) I'll do these a little more correctly using some threaded brass fittings. Anyway, mounted the bicycle bottle cage, cut up a Lone Star can, and this was the result.

Bike badly needed a front tire and the forks felt awful. I decided to tackle both while the front wheel was off anyway. Progressive fork springs were added along with new fork oil (once everything was cleaned out), and tapered steering stem bearings were installed to replace the original ball bearings.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

While rebuilding the forks I found out one of the tubes was slightly bent. Very annoying, and helps explain why the forks felt like they were binding a bit occasionally, so I did the prudent thing and just put them back together with the new sliders and seals, then back on the bike to continue riding on them for another year. You can see the bend here, on the far right. Not too drastic, but definitely there.

Needless to say, it wasn't confidence-inspiring, so I recently set about locating a set of Hayabusa forks to swap in. Whoops, spoiled it in the previous pic. Triple tree clamps were from a TL-S. Another new set of tapered head bearings (no way I was getting the lower bearing off the Triumph stem without destroying it).

When I started receiving parts

Comparing length, as guys do

Bike seems supported well enough...

Hmm... that tab on the neck might be useful.

Stock front end coming apart for the last time

Snap of the fingers, and ALL DONE! (I wish)
Old 10-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

Had to drill the TL-S top clamp in order to run a standard bar setup.

I pulled these risers and bars off another bike that's partially disassembled, but they won't be used in the long run...

I had to do a little work to get the front wheel spaced properly. The Sprint used offset spacers on the front axle (to accommodate the ABS ring on models so-equipped), but the Busa front end was set up to have the front wheel centered. Cutting down the Sprint spacers to the right width worked out just right.

Testing fit and measuring before cutting the second spacer

How did I trim them without a lathe? Made my own out of a cordless drill, a bench vise, and the wheel balancing setup for the triumph's rear wheel. Just press the two tapered spacers into the wheel spacer as tight as I can, tighten the set screw, and cut along the Triumph-supplied groove with a hacksaw held stationary while the drill turns the shaft. The fitting held in the vise has bearings to support the shaft.

Onto the finer details...
Old 10-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

I wanted to be able to use the steering damper in its stock location, so I decided to make a bracket to attach it to that tab on the steering neck. Yes, it looks really bad, but don't worry, we're far from done. Consider this just "proof of concept".

Looks like it'll work to me.

What other details do we need to address? Ignition switch doesn't really get close to fitting the TL-S upper. Had to trim the mounting posts on the top clamp by about 15mm and take another 15mm or so off the steering lock and ignition switch housing because it sits so much closer to the neck now.

Got it pretty close.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #7
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

The ears I had for the 7" round headlight were designed for 35-39mm fork tubes and are not going to fit the 50mm Busa uppers. I decided to try out a fixed headlight setup that would tie in with the steering damper. Figured the more I can kind of tie in together, the stronger it would all be.

Making the base flanges for the headlight ears. You can also see here how the steering lock was rubbing while I was test fitting to see if I'd cut it down enough.

Oh yeah, also decided that I wanted to do some ProTaper style bars, so I got myself some 1-1/8" risers and a set of bars that looked like they might land about where I want them. We'll see how they fit me once I get the bike back on the road.

A little cardboard-aided-design to help me out with placing the headlight bucket in relation to the forks and mounts

Coat hangers are easier to bend than 3/8" solid rod
Old 10-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

I was never particularly happy with the light output from the stock halogen bulb in that 7" housing, but until I decide on what to replace it with, I figured I'd add an auxiliary light.

Pretty happy with this fitment.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

Back to mounting the headlight... ended up reusing part of the bracket I'd made to mount the stock gauges on the old setup. I'm not going to provide too much other commentary here, pictures should speak for themselves.

Ok, I lied, I can't stop commenting. Was really happy with the headlight bucket placement, but it needed a third point of contact to set the vertical light cut off, which means it'd also better be adjustable.

I don't have a clue where that spring came from, but it ended up being the perfect size to provide a firm, yet compliant force on the headlight without having to use double nuts at each contact point on the adjustment bolt.

Well, that brings you up to speed through last night, hopefully I'll have more to post after this weekend, though I anticipate spending quite a bit of time working on my truck rather than the bike.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #10
SpeedTrip955i

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
RSV4
1050 Speed Triple
955 Speed Triple
675 Daytona
Grom

Nice work
SpeedTrip955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #11
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

I got the headlight mounts wrapped up and installed back on the bike this weekend. Got the mounting nuts tacked on, sharp corners rounded off on a grinder wheel, and cleaned up the remaining welding slag/spatter and edges with a flapper wheel and then primed/painted all the pieces.

About time to start body work so I can get the tank, belly pan and tail plastics painted.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:59 AM   #12
TaiMc

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT

Member Garage

excellenttt excellent work! I can't wait to see the finished product. You are very skilled. What a joy it must be to build something from essentially the ground up! 100%
TaiMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #13
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

I appreciate the confidence, but this is a simple fork swap and, eventually, repaint. I'm kind of on a "personal improvement" kick though and pretty serious about actually finishing my projects. Part of the reason I started the thread here (and pretty much the only reason I post anything on social media) is to force myself to keep moving so I've at least got something to post every day. I've got 8 motorcycles, and including this one, 3 run at the moment. I've also got 3 project cars and a go kart needing attention, and two guitar builds in progress.

My current project schedule is:
- wrap this bike up by the end of the month
- finish up my guitar project. It's sharing paint with the bike, so it's kind of a concurrent project
- get my kids go kart running again (just needs the torque converter replaced, so hopefully in the next week)
- get their PW50 running again. It's having an issue with the oil injection pump and I'm afraid I killed the top end through oil starvation trying to get it to run before I figured it out. At least 2-strokes are easy to rebuild.
- get my dad's guitar finished for christmas
- get my C10 at least running by christmas
- get my father-in-law's Triumph TR6 running again, enough that it can drive around town without issues
- start on other motorcycle projects next spring

I've got a pretty cool bobber build in mind for one of my Hyosungs that was entirely free (sort of, got the whole thing in parts trades) that will require some serious fabrication with the frame. Thinking I want to start working on that by spring break, so just trying to keep myself moving so I've got both the time and garage space to get to work on it.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #14
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

One more minor bracket down. Needed something to support the brake fluid reservoir on the handlebars, as the original mount was secured on the stock clip on.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #15
cbrfxr67
needs more projects

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
grom clone -daily
gs500/929rr thing,...
zzr600
r1
another gs500 :P

kick a@@ these are my favorite threads,... Really enjoyed reading and can't wait to see more. Love it
cbrfxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

Got that bracket painted last night, but forgot to get a pic. I also ordered a set of Speed Triple gauges this morning that I'll be mounting as soon as they come in (and I verify they work with this setup). I've been watching ebay and waiting for a set to pop up for sale for several weeks and this is the first one that's been relatively clean and under $500.

Oh yeah, finally skinned my coolant reservoir as well.

Last edited by Jae; 10-16-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #17
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

Got the bike running on Saturday night. Seemed likely that it was a fuel problem, so I pulled the pump assembly to double check everything since I'd had it apart since it last ran. Sure enough, I had one o-ring that got distorted during reassembly and it appears that I just wasn't getting any fuel pressure. Re-assembled correctly and the bike fired right up.

I also verified that the bike starts fine with no gauges, so I did a quick test fit of some new parts that came in Friday and Saturday:

new micro-shield/windscreen:

S3 gauges need a bit of attention and polish:

bar end mirrors:

Comparing the S3 gauge cluster size to the original Sprint gauges:

S3 gauges work, if a bit quirky. High beam indicator is always on, though dimmer when the low beam is on, and I'm not sure that all 3 buttons are working right now. Need to do a bit more reading about how they're supposed to work and verify that, but as of right now I can't seem to get it to change to a trip odometer.

I really like the feel of the Hayabusa forks, but I'm not a huge fan of these handlebars... as I figured, they're just too wide for my taste. I tried fitting some clubman bars I had sitting around as well last night, and aside from cable length issues, I don't think they're going to pull back nearly as far as I'd hoped. I'm debating between buying a set in a "superbike bend" or getting a Triumph OEM bar from a Speed or Street Triple or Tiger.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #18
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

Started on the gauge mount last night
Old 10-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #19
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

finally got the pic of where I wrapped up Tuesday night. still need to figure out where I'm going to tie this in to the headlight mount bracket.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #20
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph Sprint ST
'08 GSX-R 600
several Hyosung mutts

Member Garage

I've been looking to see if I could get the whole S3 dual headlight bracket and completely convert to that setup, but the bracket that mounts on the frame isn't easy to find so far... someone from the Triumph forum found a couple for sale in the UK though.

I'm afraid my whole front setup might be about to change. Going to pursue getting this LED light set up for now though.

Very deteriorated cb750 headlight unit on top, my newer Stanley unit on bottom. The old unit has the clamp ring needed to mount the new LED light, but uses different mounting points with the bucket than the Stanley setup. Unfortunately the plastic CB bucket is broken at several mounting points (both to the light assembly and the external mounts) and I can't use this bracket with the newer bucket directly. LED unit fits well enough, though it needs a bit of massaging.

Old retainer in the newer bucket and the spot to drill for the retaining screws marked.

If I can retain this bucket, I can retain the rest of my bracketry, but I really want the LED upgrade.

I also got a latching relay in, so I'll be trying to get my "pass" switch wiring redone with the relay to control the on/off for the aux light later this week.

Last edited by Jae; 10-29-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement