MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic > DIY Projects and Help
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
Flip Flop

Member Garage

Unhappy Anyone know a good place for outboard repair?

Been having issues with my 2015 9.8hp outboard motor.
The engine would not idle so I suspected dirty carb.

Took the carb off and cleaned, put back on with no improvement. Took off again and cleaned more thoroughly but still no luck.
It seems like the float might be getting stuck but I'm no expert.
It will idle with the choke on but if you give it any throttle while the chokes on it bogs down.
as soon as you push the choke in, the engine races. Try to throttle down a bit and it keeps throttling down until it stalls. Crack the throttle and it redlines...basically whichever way you turn the throttle it wants to keep going.

Sucks that I bought a brand new 2500 dollar motor so I would not have to deal with these issues and I'm having them already
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a good repair shop mikes-si General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-11-2010 01:54 PM
Leather suit repair place b42day General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-09-2009 03:57 PM
Fairing repair or place to buy them locally cammedzx9 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 09-16-2007 09:46 PM
Good Repair Story Speed Racer Off Topic 3 06-12-2006 08:47 PM
Good motorcycle repair shops? Liqwed General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 08-31-2005 10:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

It sounds like a fuel issue.

If it has been sitting with gas in the carbs the ethanol in the fuel will eat through the system.

Had the same type of issue with my cruiser, same symptoms. New filter and carbs fixed it.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I use Cy Fair Marine. Good folks.

Not a lot of options in Cypress.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
rccarlson22

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Sounds like the old gas gunked up in there. A carb cleaning should fix it
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #5
Flip Flop

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
It sounds like a fuel issue.

If it has been sitting with gas in the carbs the ethanol in the fuel will eat through the system.

Had the same type of issue with my cruiser, same symptoms. New filter and carbs fixed it.

Yeah I pretty much left it sitting. I tried to come by and fire it up every other week but it had been sitting a while this last run and I think it had gotten gummed up.
Ethanol free fuel has proven to be hard to find.

I had thought about just buying a new carburetor, since they run about 150-250 and I'm sure that's what it costs just to bring it to a marine repair shop...but I'd hate to do that and that ends up not being the issue.
Could it be anything else?
I bypassed the fuel filter using a section of ink pen tubing and there was no improvement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I use Cy Fair Marine. Good folks.

Not a lot of options in Cypress.
Thanks I might bring the carb by there and see if they can look at it.
Visually everything looks fine and I checked several how to videos for cleaning a 9.8hp outboard carb and followed them all exactly.
I'm kind of at a loss at this point.

I pulled the carb and cleaned it TWICE. Used almost a whole can of carb cleaner. Pulled out the jets and let them soak over night...I've done everything short of submerging the entire carb body in carb cleaner to soak.

Last edited by Flip Flop; 11-27-2016 at 02:22 PM.

Advertisement