MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
98yamaha
oiler317

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR600 Track Bike

Signing up for first TORCS race this weekend!

Like the title says, I'm planning to sign up and run my first TORCS race this weekend at Sand Hills. I've been practicing on my YZ125 for a while now, and figured I would give a hare scramble a shot. It looks like Open D is the beginner class, so I will sign up for that and shoot to finish the race.

I know there are some guys on here that are big into TORCS. Any words of advice that would help me for the weekend? I've never even attended a hare scramble as a spectator, so all advice is appreciated!
98yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TORCS Walnut Creek Ranch race report CarbonJames Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 1 12-03-2012 07:15 PM
TORCS Pierce Ranch race report CarbonJames Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 11 11-13-2012 02:16 PM
TORCS Abbott Ranch race report CarbonJames Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 15 11-05-2012 09:20 AM
TORCS race report CarbonJames Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 3 05-23-2012 08:07 PM
TORCS racing out at Goertz ranch this weekend... dhdrider Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 6 10-03-2011 02:53 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I'll just put this here and save some typing. Carbon might be along, not sure how often he's on here anymore. If you need his contact info let me know....he'll likely be there.

https://www.motohouston.com/forums/s...d.php?t=293612
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

oh, and good luck!
Old 09-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
98yamaha
oiler317

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR600 Track Bike

Thanks, that thread has some good info in it!
There are couple basic questions I have on how the race works:
1) Does the race go by laps or time? I see a lot of people say the races last 1.5 hours-ish. Is that just based on their speed, # of laps and length of track?
2) Do I need a transponder or anything?

Sorry if these are dumb questions
Old 09-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure

That's so exciting. I wish I was in shape enough and talented enough to race with TORCS. Try to get a little video for us during the race.

And... good luck!
MaxGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98yamaha View Post
Thanks, that thread has some good info in it!
There are couple basic questions I have on how the race works:
1) Does the race go by laps or time? I see a lot of people say the races last 1.5 hours-ish. Is that just based on their speed, # of laps and length of track?
2) Do I need a transponder or anything?

Sorry if these are dumb questions
1. It will depend on the length of the lap and when you cross through the checkpoint. If you complete three laps before the clock expires, you will finish your fourth lap.... Essentially making your race one hour & some change.

2. It has been a long time since I raced a torcs race, but I do not believe you need a transponder.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

edit*- it does look like you need a transponder for TORCS races....

you will probably get faster/more accurate answers by posting directly in their subforum on TON.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum/ub...hampionship_Se
Old 09-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
98yamaha
oiler317

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR600 Track Bike

Finished the race and came in 6th out of 17 in Open D. Not too shabby. All I was shooting for was to finish the race. If I would have come out a little more aggressive, I might have done even better. My fastest lap time was the 2nd fastest lap of the race in my class, just 7 seconds slower than the pace of the guy that took 1st in class. Was dog tired at the end of the race, but it was an absolute blast and I can't wait to sign up for another! Here is some footage from gopro:

Liked this post:
Old 09-19-2017, 05:37 AM   #9
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Looks like you had a ton of fun, did you start in gear or in neutral? You'll want to have the bike in gear and possibly second gear. Not sure if you can get away with that with a 125.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:47 AM   #10
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure

Great video. I was surprised to see as mucb racing in the open grassy areas. I expected it to be all tight single track in the forest.
MaxGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:26 AM   #11
98yamaha
oiler317

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR600 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
Looks like you had a ton of fun, did you start in gear or in neutral? You'll want to have the bike in gear and possibly second gear. Not sure if you can get away with that with a 125.
I did have a ton of fun!
I started in neutral because my clutch hangs up just a little, so even with the clutch pulled in, the bike can sometimes be tough to start in 1st gear.

My plan was to let everyone pull away and I was just going to follow the pack since it was my first race and I wasn't planning to be competitive. That's why I didn't care about my start. But after about the 3rd turn, I thought the pack was going a little slower than I expected, so I decided to pick up the pace.

Next race I will probably start in 1st gear, and try to get out front a little better. It would have been nice to get in front of some of the guys before getting into the sand an woods sections. I was getting held up a little bit.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #12
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
I did have a ton of fun!
I started in neutral because my clutch hangs up just a little, so even with the clutch pulled in, the bike can sometimes be tough to start in 1st gear.

My plan was to let everyone pull away and I was just going to follow the pack since it was my first race and I wasn't planning to be competitive. That's why I didn't care about my start. But after about the 3rd turn, I thought the pack was going a little slower than I expected, so I decided to pick up the pace.

Next race I will probably start in 1st gear, and try to get out front a little better. It would have been nice to get in front of some of the guys before getting into the sand an woods sections. I was getting held up a little bit.
holeshot is key before dropping into the woods. Heart rate up, everybody practicing their starts, dead silence, flags drops and boom....bike won't start.

FYI, I rode a 250....I started in 2nd gear. Helped with launch control....give it a try. Glad you had fun and congrats on the finish!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #13
98yamaha
oiler317

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR600 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
holeshot is key before dropping into the woods. Heart rate up, everybody practicing their starts, dead silence, flags drops and boom....bike won't start.

FYI, I rode a 250....I started in 2nd gear. Helped with launch control....give it a try. Glad you had fun and congrats on the finish!
Thanks!
Launch control in 1st gear isn't too much of an issue on a 125. I've yet to ride a 250 2-stroke, but one of these day I wanna get on one and scare myself!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #14
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

I would suggest you do several practice starts. You can practice as much or as little as you want during practice. Test using 1st and 2nd but using first will require a quick shift just after launching.

Main thing is to ride your race, I know people that start and slow and the just roll through the pack. Other people get out front early on and fall back as the race continues. You just gotta do you.

Hopefully I'll be at the next race.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #15
Crossfits
Crossfits

Bike(s):
2012 Suzuki RMZ 250
2017 Husqvarna FE 250 (sold)
2004 Honda CR125 (sold)
2012 Kawasaki KLX250 (sold)
2011 Yamaha TTR230 (sold)

98Yamaha/ArkansasDave - If either of you are going to TORCS next weekend (10/7-10/8), let me know how the track is (Spoaks MX), it's in Lockhart and it's a new venue. I tried to look it up but can't find much information on it. Thanks in advance!

BODB
Crossfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #16
98yamaha
oiler317

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR600 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfits View Post
98Yamaha/ArkansasDave - If either of you are going to TORCS next weekend (10/7-10/8), let me know how the track is (Spoaks MX), it's in Lockhart and it's a new venue. I tried to look it up but can't find much information on it. Thanks in advance!
I plan on going for this race. I can't find any information on the place at all either. I just typed in the address on the flyer into google maps and I see a motocross track nearby, but that's about it. I'll try to capture some video of the track when I'm out there and let you know how it is.

On a bright note, this puts me on a little more of a level playing field since it will be everybody's first time seeing the track. They're all new to me!
Old 09-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #17
Crossfits
Crossfits

Bike(s):
2012 Suzuki RMZ 250
2017 Husqvarna FE 250 (sold)
2004 Honda CR125 (sold)
2012 Kawasaki KLX250 (sold)
2011 Yamaha TTR230 (sold)

Quote:
I plan on going for this race. I can't find any information on the place at all either. I just typed in the address on the flyer into google maps and I see a motocross track nearby, but that's about it. I'll try to capture some video of the track when I'm out there and let you know how it is.

On a bright note, this puts me on a little more of a level playing field since it will be everybody's first time seeing the track. They're all new to me!
Awesome, and good luck!

BODB
Crossfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:33 PM   #18
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:

This is a new place for TORCS, it's a new build facility also from what I understand.

It will primarily be an MX track property but, for the TORCS race, we will likely run up to 3/4 of MX track and the rest of the race will be in the woods. Luckily for all of us, it's a new venue to TORCS which to me means, no current ruts, the place isn't ruined from years past races like most of the courses, new trail for everyone, nobody will have the course or property memorized, we'll all be on an equal playing field as far as course knowledge, at least for Saturdays race.

I for one have no memory of any course unless there is an obvious landmark which doesn't do a whole lot for me anyway, for most others, memories work very well, this is where creative lines come into play, not cheat lines but, creative lines, these are mostly found and made by the more experienced riders, they will appear but not during practice, it happens during the races due to concealment.

I'm also used to racing Enduros, we don't do laps, we race up to 75 fresh miles of course per race, with that being said, every lap for me is a fresh new course lap. I've only ridden one TORCS this year due to running the NEPG for 2017 but, that only has 2 rounds to go and I have a mission goal of beating someone in Saturdays Vet 35 class and I'm going to try my best to do that next weekend.

If any of you need help with anything there, pointers, tips, etc. come find me and we'll talk, I'm a bit of a veteran at this stuff.

Look for the Cycle Shack North canopy and bike numbers 102, that's me/us!!
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #19
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Heres a video of the MX track for next weekend, it looks pretty tame to me.

The rider here is Lane Rathman, he's a super fast MX kid that's raced Loretta Lynns outdoor nationals a few times, he's also new to the AA/Pro class at TORCS, we has been riding the A classes due to the AMA ruling for LL's.

Liked this post:
Old 09-29-2017, 08:47 PM   #20
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

More info, rather a discussion of likes, dislikes and people being pansies about it.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum/ub...EE66Y.facebook

Advertisement