MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #1
kenup283

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

KLX mods vs. KX

Been stirring over mods for the KLX 110 to bring it to track.

Trouble is some early decisons, like wheels, are impacted by near future next up decissions like front brakes and a manual clutch that would be nice to haves.

The cost for making just the front end swap alone is enough to cover the higher cost of KX 65 and some depending on how good of a deal you can find. This seems like the beak even point to just getting disc brakes. Starting with a KX or getting a KLX plus about 500-600$.

Going with the KX you also get a manual gearbox already and slightly cheaper wheel options (fewer spokes). Worth about 200$ which pays for your tires.

So making mods to the KLX seems like the more expensive route to gettin on track than starting with the KX.

Both would need suspension, wheels, but the potential downside I can see to starting from the KLX seems like throwing away 200$ in spokes to lace the wheels to stock drum brake hubs and then switching to KX hubs later.

Running with more classes seems like a potential plus for the KLX but other than that is there anything else that says the extra cost to a KLX is worht it?

I know I'm over thinking this, but looks like the costs of mods to the KLX can exceed the bikes cost veruss staring with a KX. Just wondering what gives and am I looking at this wrong?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rockers Vs Mods, nope, it's bicyclists vs Mods grsa Off Topic 1 05-11-2014 06:05 PM
first mods BYRDMAN Performance and Modifications 0 05-10-2008 11:57 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
98yamaha
oiler317

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR600 Track Bike

I've literally done both. I first modded a klx110 for TMGP, then two KX65's. Still have all 3 (none for sale BTW..lol)
If cost is your main concern, I would say go with the kx65. It's just an easier and cheaper platform to convert and get it suitable for riding. It comes with disc brakes which work just fine and are WAYYY better than drums on the klx. The suspension can be modified for pretty darn cheap to suit an adult ($40 for a zx6r shock and $100 for fork springs and heavy fork oil). The klx110 takes more money to get suspension set for an adult. You can pick up a set of mag wheels for $400 for the kx65 that are direct bolt on's. No worrying about lacing, truing, tubes. The stock motor on the kx65 is pretty competitive as well. KX65's can be found on craigslist for cheap in the $800-$1200. I'm pretty sure Jay Newton has one fully setup for sale right now asking $2200.
The downsides to the kx65 are:
-Takes a minute to learn the powerband on a 2 stroke (but once you do, you'll love it)
-Can't run in as many classes as the klx (but you can run up to 6 sprint races on the kx65, which is quite a few)
The klx110 is a good bike too. Here are some of my pros and cons:
Pros:
-Linear powerband is easier to get used to
-Teaches you to carry corner speed better than starting on a kx65
-Way less shifting than a kx65
- Can run more classes than the kx65 because you can race up, BUT.. you're not likely do be running up front in those unless you build the out of your klx
Cons:
- I weigh 210lbs+, and I'm a decent rider. I've taken quite a few sprint wins, but honestly a stock klx110 motor is not gonna get you on the podium compared to the motors guys are running in TMGP. That doesn't mean you can't have fun, just expect to be out motored A LOT.
- The klx motor comes stock as a semi-automatic (no clutch lever). Changing to a manual clutch makes a big difference as it allows you modulate it when needed and also it pulls off a ton of rotating mass from the drivetrain, which makes the bike spin up quicker. But thats money to spend.
- The klx comes with a 3 speed. You can get a 4th gear shift drum, and install it, and it makes a big difference. But again, money and have to split the cases.
- Best cheap adult shock option i could find was $150. Adult fork springs are ~$90, pretty much same as kx65 springs. The damping is tricky to get figured out, I'm still working on it.
- Drum brakes are terrible. 80% of my braking power comes from locking up the rear downshifting. KX65 front end swap isn't cheap like you said. But I'm probably going to do it this off season. It's basically a necessity for a fatboy like me. No front brakes are a safety hazard.
Thats the most I can think of off hand. Some places to google for mini help are:
K&J racing for wheels
Mototriad for all things mini
Mini moto alliance: http://www.minimotoalliance.com/kx65-rm65-build.html
Robsrideshop.com
Get on facebook and look up TMGPS group and also mini moto alliance
98yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

If you want to run the klx you can find plenty of deals on used parts, I got the kx65 frontend for mine for 250 shipped and it was ready to bolt on and go.
check out planetminis.com and the planetminis FB page
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:22 AM   #4
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Thanks for great advice and links. I supose the right answer is one of each then

I would be intrested if you have any links to a prepd bike for sale.

I do have a KLX already so if you do make the front end swap this winter let me know what you'd want for that front wheel.

What really bugs me is Kawaskai already make the perfect bike they just don't sell it here.

Costs just under 2k$ new and half that for a good one used. It's a KLX 110 with alloy wheels, disc brakes, inverted forks, 4 speed, the whole bit all ready to go.

They call it the KSR 110 or just KSR Pro.

https://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mc..._kl110e_e.html

Some for sale ads that'll make you want to go over there and bring one back in a large suitcase ,

https://www.mudah.my/Malaysia/Motorc...sr110-for-sale
(to convert the Malaysian RM to USD dived by 4 )

I think kawasaki would do much better here in the US with this bike and undercut the grom by a grand than go head to head with them.

Kawasaki must know the massive aftermarket for the 110 engine and with the money saved put into engine mods it could be made faster than a grom for the same price point.

Advertisement