MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: What to join? Army or Air Force
Army 5 20.00%
Air Force 20 80.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
HtownStunta

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1986 Honda Spree

Member Garage

Army or Air Force

Tossing around the idea....

if you had to join, what one would you choose and WHY?

ONLY OPTIONS ARE

- ARMY

- AIR FORCE

Thanks!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaving the Air Force!! Hypnotik Off Topic 12 04-03-2014 05:05 PM
Air Force Is Calling Brutus The Circus 33 07-25-2013 05:36 PM
If you care (Air Force) Kodak Off Topic 27 02-17-2011 11:52 AM
The farmer and Air Force One urbanXJ The Circus 5 06-22-2010 09:43 AM
TAGGING AIR FORCE ONE FastLine Off Topic 14 04-22-2006 11:41 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

well my understanding and from the people that have been in , the airforce is a little nicer , not as hard so if your a woos , they have better houseing too !

the army is a bit more lets say simple, no frills ex

but the army seams to just take anyone the airforce has a more stringent criteria !

sorry for spelling ,

any how it really depp on what you want to do or be in the service and wher you would like to spend your time !
Old 12-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
jhendrix

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
'02 Shadow 750

Air force.

Haven't been in, this is just my opinion from researching.
jhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
dinosaur
Retired in place

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

i just love to fly airplanes, bi-planes to turbo-pops, probably 20 or so types i have flown and to get paid to do it is iciing on the cake
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
Bornleaderbusa

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 Hayabusa
2005 Honda cbr1000 sold
2003 honda cbr600rr sold

Been in the Army ten years and counting. If I knew what I know now I would go Airforce because of the better living conditions and they treat their Airman better. If your not married the air force females are more attractive. The duty stations are in better places beside in the middle of no where like most Army bases. Pay is the same. I've heard it is easier to get promoted in the Army than the Airforce. If you join make sure the job you pick you can also do on the outside. Btw what jobs are you looking to get? Don't settle for anything unless your asvab score is low and you really want to join because you can take the asvab again and try to score higher. Pm me if you have q's.
Bornleaderbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 AM   #6
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
a lot of sv's and
a little 'bout love

Member Garage

mmm probably army.
<-------- former air force flunkee due to injury. my brother is active af though

i hear from him that the af lately is micromanaging and office politicking like a

in the af, your living accommodations might be better, but i think you will feel better about yourself in the regular army. just never mind the summer camp basic.

if you do go af, or , even army, try to get a job that has a relation to the real world so that when you leave you can make more doing the civilian version of what you did in the service.
my bro got a 95 on his asvab and he drives a forklift in a bomb dump. c'mon.
i was aviation test station and components for the f22. never made it to tech school though. blah. stupid legs of mine.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

My brother is in the army. They are cutting pay due to a budget shortage right now. enlisted lost 80 a month and officers lost 120 a month. not sure how wide spread the cuts are
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
Grimace

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

I went from Marine infantry to Airforce reserves (medical squadron). Pretty two opposote ends of the spectrum. One was shitty, and one was the . I'll let you guess which was which.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
BusaFlo
Lost, But Still Ridding

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 Busa
85 Honda Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
My brother is in the army. They are cutting pay due to a budget shortage right now. enlisted lost 80 a month and officers lost 120 a month. not sure how wide spread the cuts are
Miltitary / GOV, can't cut your basic pay. Maybe for civilians (not sure). They have put on hold any pay increases across the board. What they can cut away is your Housing Allowances, re-enlistment / sign-up bonus, oversea pay, hazardous pay (the extra $ that we get for going through what no one else will do @ the same $ we get paid). But most of that will be grandfathered-in. Anyone that changes duty stations/assigments would be affected when they transfer to the new location. At least in the past that was how they handled it.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

Quote:
exscuse me....you will have to go put your life on the line because our leaders have something to proove...BTW, you'll do it for less money now because we are so FN far in debt we can't see tomorrow....WTF!!! That is the most screwed up news I've heard in a 3 decades!! How much of a pay cut did Nancy Pelosi get? How, as Americans, can we let this happen...PM me, I'll put together some Christmas packages for your brother and his platoon...F n A I'm about this...BTW former Air Force here...13 years PJ..The Air Force is more technical and about how things are supposed to be. They help you learn to pay attention to detail..It may seem stupid that the instructors jump your a@@ for small stuff, but, they don't want some idiot fixing the jet they are about to get on!!!
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeburt1 View Post
exscuse me....you will have to go put your life on the line because our leaders have something to proove...BTW, you'll do it for less money now because we are so FN far in debt we can't see tomorrow....WTF!!! That is the most screwed up news I've heard in a 3 decades!! How much of a pay cut did Nancy Pelosi get? How, as Americans, can we let this happen...PM me, I'll put together some Christmas packages for your brother and his platoon...F n A I'm about this...BTW former Air Force here...13 years PJ..The Air Force is more technical and about how things are supposed to be. They help you learn to pay attention to detail..It may seem stupid that the instructors jump your a@@ for small stuff, but, they don't want some idiot fixing the jet they are about to get on!!!
I'm just going by what he told me. He said they are trying to weed out people cause now the army has too many and not enough budget to pay them all. Not sure if he has the full story or not. You know how the rumor mill runs. But 80 a month lost sucks. I'll call him tonight and see if he has any new info on this.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #12
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

man, that would suck big time...it wouldn't surprise me if it were true...
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Depends on what you want out of it. The AF does not have tanks, so the decision was easy for me.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #14
sunday_rider

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

lots of unemployed people ages 19-25 are seeing the army as their only choice, and now that congress wants to end unemployment benefits i can see why the gov't would want to adjust the pay rate now.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
Got-Busa?

Spent almost 10-years in the AF and would do it over again in a heart beat. Moved out when I was 18 and have done it on my own. Good training, paid for my college, and now doing the same thing on the civilian side...

PM if you have any questions or need any help...

Quote:
They can't just cut pay, which pay?

Maybe he meant the future housing/cola raises that Obama announced this week. But they can NOT cut your base pay...
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #16
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornleaderbusa View Post
Been in the Army ten years and counting. If I knew what I know now I would go Airforce because of the better living conditions and they treat their Airman better. If your not married the air force females are more attractive. The duty stations are in better places beside in the middle of no where like most Army bases. Pay is the same. I've heard it is easier to get promoted in the Army than the Airforce. If you join make sure the job you pick you can also do on the outside. Btw what jobs are you looking to get? Don't settle for anything unless your asvab score is low and you really want to join because you can take the asvab again and try to score higher. Pm me if you have q's.
This^.

Seven years U.S. Army, my dad spent 25 years Army. Air Force is a better branch to serve in for the reasons listed above. It's also easier to get a job in the civilian world with most of the MOS' available in the Air Force.
Not much opportunity for killing people in the civilian world if you go Army infantry/Airborne etc..

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
https://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #17
BusaFlo
Lost, But Still Ridding

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 Busa
85 Honda Rebel

Going back to the pay-cut discussion. I took a $1000 + pay cut to come back home to TX and the family. I lost $600 in housing allowance (in Boston I had $2500 here I get $1900)monthly, $500 for sea pay monthly, and $300 every time the ship was away from homeport more than 30 days (about 4x a year). We had an average of two months out, two months in depending on operations and maintenance.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #18
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Hmm, carry a rifle, sleep in a tent and get shot at OR sit at a computer terminal, sleep in a bed and work at an airbase a hundred miles from the shooting...

I know what I would pick.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #19
Hades
Underworld

Bike(s):
**05 Repsol** gone :(
**CBR F4**Sold
**00 R6** Sold
**00 748** Sold
Illegal Senorita

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Hades
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Not much opportunity for killing people in the civilian world if you go Army infantry/Airborne etc..
Yeah but Hitmen get PAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
I'm some what knowledgeable on PPs
Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
i ride around the pole
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #20
Got-Busa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusaFlo View Post
Going back to the pay-cut discussion. I took a $1000 + pay cut to come back home to TX and the family. I lost $600 in housing allowance (in Boston I had $2500 here I get $1900)monthly, $500 for sea pay monthly, and $300 every time the ship was away from homeport more than 30 days (about 4x a year). We had an average of two months out, two months in depending on operations and maintenance.
Only problem, that's not base pay. That is considered COLA which is based on your location only. So you didn't loose pay (in there eyes) just housing allowance since it's cheaper here than Boston. Sea pay and other allowances are based on being away from your duty station, family, etc. so they again don't consider that base pay either...

Same thing if you lived overseas, you could get an additional $2k+ a month to offset local costs but that's not part of your base pay.
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement