MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Prodigy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Honda 1000rr
Kawasaki ZX6r
Honda CBR F4i
Suzuki Gsxr750
T-Rex

Member Garage

Does this make anyone else mad?

I was planning on buying a new truck today. But after I read this im not sure. I dont want to buy a new truck and be told there will be a limit of how long an can own it. Wtf!!! My z71 has 203, miles on it.

http://www.click2houston.com/automot...53/detail.html
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh he mad Bevo Off Topic 1 10-24-2014 09:01 PM
It's a mad, mad, mad, 'Mad Men' world NewsBot Entertainment 0 04-11-2014 11:10 AM
Don't be mad at the white people, be mad at the right people! RACER X The Circus 8 12-25-2013 10:21 AM
People who make more $$ than and make you say wtf!?! tonyt915 Off Topic 17 09-04-2010 12:23 AM
Want to make a little cash? And make a good friend. gsxr005 How To's and Q & A's 20 06-12-2009 01:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
good luck wit that
Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

I think they're referring to mpg, not overall mileage. I can't find anywhere in the article where there is mention of a cap on total vehicle mileage.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

I heard the dumberment was going to also start taxing how many miles you drive. Odumba is really starting to me off.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
ENDO_monkey
loves cupcakes

Bike(s):
2004 GSXR 600

Did i miss the part where is said you could only own it for a cetain amount of time?

Hummer FTW!
ENDO_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
Prodigy

Bike(s):
Honda 1000rr
Kawasaki ZX6r
Honda CBR F4i
Suzuki Gsxr750
T-Rex

Member Garage

Yeah im more worried about my 2009 f150 passing a 2016 emissions inspection. That is if were not all forced to drive smart cars by then. I still prefer the dumb ones.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
s.o.m.SS
Rim Rider

Bike(s):
Fiddy

So he can scrap his helicopter... http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10354678

**** him is all I have to say.
s.o.m.SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
Prodigy

Bike(s):
Honda 1000rr
Kawasaki ZX6r
Honda CBR F4i
Suzuki Gsxr750
T-Rex

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I heard the dumberment was going to also start taxing how many miles you drive. Odumba is really starting to me off.

They already do that, its called your reg. sticker. The bridges and roads its supposed to be use to maintain are all becoming toll roads anyway.....
Old 05-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

yup. fvck him in the ear. big government taxing everything to keep paying for big government.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

anyone else surprised about another tax?

I call this one the "New Car Smell Tax"
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Most likely anything you buy today will be grandfathered in to pass an emissions test in 2016.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #12
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

Hopefully by 2016 he'll be back in Kenya running for president and all of the BS will be sorted out to some extent.
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
SW@T
SWAGGA OF A CRIPPLE!!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Track= 07 600RR
Street= 09 R6 white/red

Member Garage

Quote:
fkin werd
SW@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

Quote:
This has been proposed several times in recent years. it really sucks because there is already a gas tax. If they want to encourage less energy use then they will just stick with taxing gas. I mean if it will cost me the same to drive a mile in a Hummer or a Corolla why the heck would I chose a Corolla?

Part of this is they want to force people back into the cities but what they don't realize is that eventually businesses will just leave the cities and locate near their workforce instead of forcing them to commute. there is no real reason for companies to be in a central "downtown" location these days.

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I was just reading an article that states that increased fuel economy leads to increased fuel consumption. So basically the exact OPPOSITE of what they propose. Is there anyone in government thats not a moron?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #16
mathews

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2005 Hayabusa

And what if no one buys these wonderful cars Obama is forcing the bankrupt manufacturers to produce?Maybe another bailout?
mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #17
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #18
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Tailpipe emission standards are set for the year of production.

When I left California my 87 Saab's regulations were 10ppm HC and .5 CO. The 2001 New Car regulations for Texas was somewhere ridiculous like 50-100 HC and 2.0% CO.

Meaning, unlike California we only need to perform an OBD check on the vehicle. Unless you own a permanent 4wD vehicle in Cali you do exhaust sniffing on a dyno. Motorcycles and Semi Diesels were approved for testing by the CARB when I left, but not enforced yet.

BMW has to adhere to a plan to clean up their vehicles by 2010; which they are still on the borderline for. This is why they are bringing the diesel to the states; the average will drop for production vehicles and they will meet their quota if they continue to sell vehicles.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #19
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

very stupid...

so what happens to all the used autos that don't meet the golden Obama standard??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #20
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
They are looking into a mileage tax. This will punish the middle class, as a mileage tax would affect middle class commuters the most. Make no mistake, the mileage tax will not replace the current fuel tax - it'll just be a whole new tax.

The current gas tax works. The more fuel you use, the more you pay. If your vehicle gets 20 mpg, you pay more than the guy getting 35 mpg. You're using more, you pay more. Simple.

So why the push for a new tax? As cars get more efficient, rather, as cars must get more efficient to meet new government mandates (seen the news about a 35mpg minimum?), the government is concerned they will see reduced revenue because people will be using less gas than before, so they want to add a new revenue stream (fancy language for new tax) onto you, the tax paying citizen.

There would be many problems, chiefly how do they know how many miles you drive? They'd need to install a GPS on every vehicle, plus the ability to track everybody everywhere all the time. Yes, GPS can provide the raw data, but there currently isn't anything set up to sort and store all that information. To set that up will cost no small amount of money - so this program will cost millions if not billions to get off the ground before the government sees a cent. That only makes sense to the retards in government.

So anyway, let's look at other problems. Like, that new GPS better be hardwired to the car. People that are smarter than government stooges will be trying to disable them the moment they come out. NTM thieves will want to take your GPS so you get charged for their black-market miles. I suppose they could stagger prices at the pump - one price for grandfathered cars, a second, slightly lower price for the new Orwellian machines. The trick is, how will they know what you're driving? A plug-in to verify the car is what it is at the pump? Another device for the less-than-honest to dry to deceive.

Ultimately this kind of tax fails because it's net effect is to dampen the economy. Taxes are distortionary because they alter behavior. Think about it - they keep raising taxes on cigarettes because they want to discourage smoking. Raising taxes on miles driven will make people want to drive less, and the net result will have a dampening effect on the economy. In a time of recession, this is being discussed seriously? Freaking retarded.

Basically, the government wants your money. Like a meth junkie, they HAVE TO HAVE IT. Without your money, they can do nothing. Maybe some of you remember when a bunch of freshman senators shut down the government when they didn't like Clinton's budget proposal. Anyway, again like a junkie, they're constantly on the lookout for whatever they can steal. The only thing they need is your money, so there you have it.

This me off to no end. I got windy on the subject. Sorry.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement