MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2018, 10:39 PM   #21
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Ducati Monster 1200
Honda Grom

And also looks great in the house lolClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2474.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	100226

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2473.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	677.4 KB
ID:	100227
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Ducati Monster 1200s nwall1 Motorcycles For Sale 13 12-24-2017 04:58 AM
Ducati Monster 1200S versus 1200R NewsBot Racing News 0 10-27-2015 01:30 PM
Ducati Monster 1200 and 1200S now available in UK dealers NewsBot Racing News 0 03-13-2014 05:10 AM
Fancy a Monster 1200S How about these NewsBot Racing News 0 01-07-2014 08:10 AM
Ducati reveal new Monster 1200 and 1200S NewsBot Racing News 0 11-04-2013 02:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #22
ZX-Dominance

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

some people LOVe the Speedie... but TBH- the super flat torque curve and low RPM limit bored me to death.

Its fast (quick), but always felt more like a turbo-tractor than a sport bike. I love the feeling of having more-and more- and more. The speedie simply runs out of breath too quickly. And now with the 765 posting very similar numbers in a much more exciting package, it's hard to understand why they havent done any major work to the 1050. 120hp doesnt cut it for a flagship bike anymore. Period.

Just my $.02

Last edited by ZX-Dominance; 02-01-2018 at 01:26 PM.
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #23
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
GSXR 1137cc Frankendragster (SOLD)
2002 Bandit 600 (SOLD)
lots of dirt bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
some people LOVe the Speedie... but TBH- the super flat torque curve and low RPM limit bored me to death.

Its fast (quick), but always felt more like a turbo-tractor than a sport bike. I love the feeling of having more-and more- and more. The speedie simply runs out of breath too quickly. And now with the 765 posting very similar numbers in a much more exciting package, it's hard to understand why they havent done any major work to the 1050. 120hp doesnt cut it for a flagship bike anymore. Period.

Just my $.02
thats what I'm afraid of, getting bored quickly. the flat torque curve is awesome that it'll pull just as hard off idle as it does near redline, but I agree that it isn't as exciting as a motor that keeps building torque and power. this is great for the twisties though, the motor is butter smooth too. the low redline does bother me some. I'm thinking with mods it'll be much better, 130whp seems pretty good to me. but stock its not good enough

tbh if my bandit was like 80lbs lighter Id have no problem keeping it. but I'm just ready for something else
Old 02-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #24
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
15 GROM - saved Harvey victim
17 FZ10
01 SV 650 - RIP - Harvey victim
02 R1 - RIP - Harvey Victim

Ha, I was in similar boat last year, but it was between Speed Triple and FZ10. Ended up with FZ10. Just seemed more modern and exciting. Oh and it sounded so much better.
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #25
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxerguy86 View Post
thats what I'm afraid of, getting bored quickly. the flat torque curve is awesome that it'll pull just as hard off idle as it does near redline, but I agree that it isn't as exciting as a motor that keeps building torque and power. this is great for the twisties though, the motor is butter smooth too. the low redline does bother me some. I'm thinking with mods it'll be much better, 130whp ----- it's not---- seems pretty good to me. but stock its not good enough
Exactly, I loved mine for a couple months- but it felt lackluster as far as it accelerates at the same rate everywhere. No rush at all past the initial "push."

BTW- as far as the twisties go... I prefer less torque and more HP... its much easier to be smooth, cuz that speedie will step-out and high side TF outta ya. Well, my 08 would.. the new ones with TC maybe not so much.

PS- mine had full arrow and a flash and my current FZ1 (08) still stomps it anywhere that it matters.

Lastly, it may not be a big deal... but I kinda hate having a bike cruising above 50% or so RPM for long periods of time... and going 75-85 I was sitting about 5-5500rpm... only 3500ish from redline. Even geared down, my FZ has 6,500rpm left to go when at hwy speeds.

The tuono is where id go man, and if not, the 1200s.

On a separate note- the FZ10 and/or Street Triple R 765 would be cheaper, more fun choices
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #26
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
2002 Bandit 600 (SOLD)
lots of dirt bikes

Quote:
Exactly, I loved mine for a couple months- but it felt lackluster as far as it accelerates at the same rate everywhere. No rush at all past the initial "push."

BTW- as far as the twisties go... I prefer less torque and more HP... its much easier to be smooth, cuz that speedie will step-out and high side TF outta ya. Well, my 08 would.. the new ones with TC maybe not so much.

PS- mine had full arrow and a flash and my current FZ1 (08) still stomps it anywhere that it matters.

Lastly, it may not be a big deal... but I kinda hate having a bike cruising above 50% or so RPM for long periods of time... and going 75-85 I was sitting about 5-5500rpm... only 3500ish from redline. Even geared down, my FZ has 6,500rpm left to go when at hwy speeds.

On a separate note- the FZ10 and/or Street Triple R 765 would be cheaper, more fun choices
I really appreciate your input and I agree with everything you're saying. I will say that when I test rode the triple R I had it in sport mode. the throttle is very light and the bike very responsive, I only took one sharp U-turn under an overpass and I could see this bike being easy to lose in a corner if you don't have a steady wrist or traction control on, come to think of it. Im sure putting it in a different mode would change this. the rest was just highway riding for the most part, going through the gears. same thing goes for the monster when I rode it last year. I guess Ill need to take them both out again

maybe thats why I like my bandit so much, PLENTY of torque but it hits in the mid range and isn't as responsive. Although the FZ1 might be a logical option, Im definitely not a big fan of Yamaha
Old 02-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #27
Repth
literally can't even

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:

Tuono for all reasons mentioned above.

It's criminal to consider a supernaked and not even test ride a Tuono.

I hate the way that bike looks but it is captivating to ride.
Originally Posted by DvlRacer
Meh, I agree with his OP
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:23 PM   #28
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
15 GROM - saved Harvey victim
17 FZ10
01 SV 650 - RIP - Harvey victim
02 R1 - RIP - Harvey Victim

Yes.... Tuono, but those are like unicorns to find used. I need to go test ride one.
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #29
Toe
et vincere nemo dividat

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
Ducati multistrada
BMW k 1600 GTL exclusive :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
And also looks great in the house lolAttachment 100226

Attachment 100227
That thing needs some termi love...
Old 02-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #30
Toe
et vincere nemo dividat

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
Ducati multistrada

I wouldn't buy anything triumph. British are allergic to lock tight...
Old 02-01-2018, 09:39 PM   #31
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Ducati Monster 1200
Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I wouldn't buy anything triumph. British are allergic to lock tight...

Spent that on my mustang

New wheels and tires

Name:	IMG_2440.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	512.4 KB
ID:	100233
Old 02-02-2018, 03:51 AM   #32
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
2002 Bandit 600 (SOLD)
lots of dirt bikes

agreed that the tuono is a badass bike just looking at it and the performance aspect, definitely more supersport than sport-touring. Id love to take one for a spin, but they are expensive and more exotic than ducati and triumph. I've seen a really nice '05 tuono for sale locally. those had a 1000cc v-twin

one of the bikes I looked at briefly is a EBR 1190sx, but those are probably even more exotic than the aprilia, lol. and then with EBR going out of business.... another was the KTM superduke but that seems like a tad too much

thats how i settled with the ducati and triumph. plenty of useable power, good-looking, different from all the bikes everywhere with different character but not super exotic either, enough sportiness to keep things interesting but relaxed ergos for longer rides or around town or riding two-up. since this will be my only bike for a while, i want to be able to do everything with it lol

Last edited by Gixxerguy86; 02-02-2018 at 03:55 AM.
Gixxerguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #33
Repth
literally can't even

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
agreed that the tuono is a badass bike just looking at it and the performance aspect, definitely more supersport than sport-touring. Id love to take one for a spin, but they are expensive and more exotic than ducati and triumph. I've seen a really nice '05 tuono for sale locally. those had a 1000cc v-twin

one of the bikes I looked at briefly is a EBR 1190sx, but those are probably even more exotic than the aprilia, lol. and then with EBR going out of business.... another was the KTM superduke but that seems like a tad too much

thats how i settled with the ducati and triumph. plenty of useable power, good-looking, different from all the bikes everywhere with different character but not super exotic either, enough sportiness to keep things interesting but relaxed ergos for longer rides or around town or riding two-up. since this will be my only bike for a while, i want to be able to do everything with it lol
You have this idea in your head about what the Tuono is and isn't, and I can tell you that you're wrong. The Tuono is more "sport touring" than the Speed Triple. It's a more relaxed, comfortable seating position. It's more forgiving. It feels like riding a couch, until you want to go fast, and then it's like being strapped to a ballistic missile. I don't know why you keep saying "more exotic". They are in the same class of bike as Ducati.
Meh, I agree with his OP
Old 02-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #34
Toe
et vincere nemo dividat

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
Ducati multistrada

Couch?? Aaaahahahaha

Bias much?
Old 02-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #35
JoeCue

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
16' Ducati Monster 1200s
Buell Firebolt xb12 (sold)
07' Kawasaki ZX-10R

I would lean Monster as well
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A43463A3-9DBD-438F-8D03-457F7FA5210F.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	100234  
JoeCue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #36
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
2002 Bandit 600 (SOLD)
lots of dirt bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
You have this idea in your head about what the Tuono is and isn't, and I can tell you that you're wrong. The Tuono is more "sport touring" than the Speed Triple. It's a more relaxed, comfortable seating position. It's more forgiving. It feels like riding a couch, until you want to go fast, and then it's like being strapped to a ballistic missile. I don't know why you keep saying "more exotic". They are in the same class of bike as Ducati.
I guess I won't know until I actually try it out, right? I say exotic because I never see any aprilias, to me they're about as common as mv agusta which I also hardly ever see
Old 02-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #37
Repth
literally can't even

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Couch?? Aaaahahahaha

Bias much?
You didn't ride one, either. And I'm not biased. I don't own one and won't because I think they're ugly as sin. I hated everything about it until I rode one. Now I just wish they made them in a trim level that didn't have a gaudy looking frame and stickers everywhere under the clear coat.
Meh, I agree with his OP
Old 02-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #38
Repth
literally can't even

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
I guess I won't know until I actually try it out, right? I say exotic because I never see any aprilias, to me they're about as common as mv agusta which I also hardly ever see
Ah, gotcha. I see them all the time in Austin, probably because of AF1. When people say "exotic" in a negative context, I think they're normally talking about operating cost, which the Tuono isn't any higher than the Monster.

Anyway, I'll quit trying to beat ya over the head to at least ride one. I figure, what could a test ride hurt? But that's just me. I figure you will be happy with whatever supernaked you end up with!
Meh, I agree with his OP
Old 02-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #39
Toe
et vincere nemo dividat

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
Ducati multistrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
You didn't ride one, either. And I'm not biased. I don't own one and won't because I think they're ugly as sin. I hated everything about it until I rode one. Now I just wish they made them in a trim level that didn't have a gaudy looking frame and stickers everywhere under the clear coat.
I sat on one and it no couch and by calling it a couch hurts the validity of your opinion about them. Lol
Old 02-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #40
Repth
literally can't even

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
I sat on one and it no couch and by calling it a couch hurts the validity of your opinion about them. Lol
Sitting on and riding are two different things. Which is why I told you to ride it. And why I said it rides like a couch.
Meh, I agree with his OP

Advertisement