MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Impersonating a police officer?

I have a neon green vest I got a while back, It's got the word "Sherrif" printed on the front and back, I've worn it a few times while I've been out on my bike at night, could it be considered impersonating a police officer? I know most cases where police impersonation come in, the person is usually wearing a fake (or real) uniform, flashing a badge, and/or identifying themselves as a police officer, but could the vest be considered the same thing?

The courtesy officer in my apartments mentioned it, he says he "wasn't sure" but I don't see how it would be any different from those tshirts that say police or dea or fbi on them.
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Man accused of impersonating police officer NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 07-20-2015 05:00 PM
Man accused of impersonating police officer arrested NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 05-24-2015 11:10 PM
Man accused of impersonating police officer after car accident NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 08-06-2014 10:10 PM
Robber impersonating police officer caught on camera NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 12-09-2013 01:40 PM
James Stewart Arrested for impersonating a police officer hotnanas General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 05-29-2011 10:29 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

i wouldnt tempt fate, but thats just me.

Bringing back the old school.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"

Feedback Rating: (19)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage

Im not sure if its the same but I have some old Police uniforms that I got from my uncle who is the DA. I was going to use them for Halloween but he said it was against the law.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
Hades
Underworld

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
**05 Repsol** gone :(
**CBR F4**Sold
**00 R6** Sold
**00 748** Sold
Illegal Senorita

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Hades
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
i wouldnt tempt fate, but thats just me.
+1 most probably wont care but then you have those dicks that were nerds in HS then became a LEO and they think that they have everything to prove

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
I'm some what knowledgeable on PPs
Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
i ride around the pole
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
+1 most probably wont care but then you have those dicks that were nerds in HS then became a LEO and they think that they have everything to prove
This is what I'm worried about. I already looked up the section of the penal code and it says "anything that bears an official insignia" but I'm sure I'd run in to at least one LEO who will misinterpret the law, or just won't care.

I guess I might just cover the words "sherrif" with a patch of reflective vinyl or something.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...E.37.htm#37.12
Old 12-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
Hades
Underworld

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
**05 Repsol** gone :(
**CBR F4**Sold
**00 R6** Sold
**00 748** Sold
Illegal Senorita

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Hades
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F. View Post
This is what I'm worried about. I already looked up the section of the penal code and it says "anything that bears an official insignia" but I'm sure I'd run in to at least one LEO who will misinterpret the law, or just won't care.

I guess I might just cover the words "sherrif" with a patch of reflective vinyl or something.
just cover the " f " up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
I'm some what knowledgeable on PPs
Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
i ride around the pole
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
bunxx
Saw 'em Off!

Bike(s):
duc 800SS
polaris ranger
yamaha rhino

or the s..
bunxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F. View Post

or you could get a reflective vest from Harbor freight for like 5 bucks.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
Im not sure if its the same but I have some old Police uniforms that I got from my uncle who is the DA. I was going to use them for Halloween but he said it was against the law.
from the link posted, this section:

(1)**the person makes, provides to another person, or possesses a card, document, badge, insignia, shoulder emblem, or other item bearing an insignia of a law enforcement agency that identifies a person as a peace officer or a reserve law enforcement officer; and...

It appears as though, if the uniforms still have the deparment insignias on them, that you uncle, the DA, has already broken the law. Guess I could be reading it wrong. Were they uniforms for a dramatic purpose or display?
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"

Feedback Rating: (19)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
from the link posted, this section:

(1)**the person makes, provides to another person, or possesses a card, document, badge, insignia, shoulder emblem, or other item bearing an insignia of a law enforcement agency that identifies a person as a peace officer or a reserve law enforcement officer; and...

It appears as though, if the uniforms still have the deparment insignias on them, that you uncle, the DA, has already broken the law. Guess I could be reading it wrong. Were they uniforms for a dramatic purpose or display?
No, the department changed uniform colors and designs this was one of the old uniforms. It did still have the patches that said the police department
Old 12-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
MiniG0D
Teknulogicuhly Challunged

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2008 600RR Graffiti Edition

it is illegal and a class b misdemeanor... aka you could face JAIL time and/or a fine which would well exceed the cost of buying a reflective vest... not to mention a cop who pulled you over for it would likely find other things to cite you for because of your disregard for whatever you want to call it...
Old 12-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #13
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Why take the risk at all??? Just buy another reflective vest.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #14
wackjum
Attorney at law

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

Impersonating a false police officer is a somewhat fact specific crime.

Here are some relevant findings from a Texas appellate court:
Quote:
The question here is whether the letters D.P.S. on a hat are an insignia identifying the wearer as a peace officer. We conclude that they are. Officer Ricketson testified that it is commonly understood that the letters D.P.S. stand for Department of Public Safety. That general understanding is further evidenced by the testimony of the two teenage girls who told the court that they believed Appellant was a Department of Public Safety officer because he had D.P.S. on his hat. We believe that in Texas the letters D.P.S. are ordinarily associated in the public mind with the state law enforcement agency just as the letters F.B.I. are understood to mean Federal Bureau of Investigation. And absent evidence to the contrary, a person might reasonably assume that one wearing a hat or cap with those letters was a peace officer. It was clearly Appellant's intent in wearing the hat to convey that impression. That is precisely the conduct the statute was enacted to prevent. We believe, however, that even ignoring Appellant's representation of himself as a D.P.S. undercover agent, there is legally sufficient evidence that the hat with D.P.S. on it in and of itself identified Appellant as a peace officer.
Quote:
It was not the legislature's intention to criminalize the mere possession of a coffee mug or T-shirt bearing the initials or emblem of the F.B.I., D.P.S., A.T.F., or other law enforcement agencies. It is a defense to prosecution under Section 37.12 that the item identifying the defendant as a peace officer was used or intended for use exclusively for decorative purposes or in an artistic or dramatic presentation. TEX. PEN.CODE ANN. 37.12(b)(3) (Vernon 2003).
The case is Hudson v. State, an unpublished opinion out of the 12th Court of Appeals.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #15
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

can i has it?
we can go buy some red and blue lights and chase people down the freeway and make them pull over....LOL
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #16
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

just stencil 'I shot the" across it...
Old 12-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #17
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniG0D View Post
it is illegal and a class b misdemeanor... aka you could face JAIL time and/or a fine which would well exceed the cost of buying a reflective vest... not to mention a cop who pulled you over for it would likely find other things to cite you for because of your disregard for whatever you want to call it...
exactly! another reflective vest is probably $3.00 !! quit the "wanna be" act and buy another, seriously, its so not worth the hassle or comments when another leo comes up to say hello and then within 2 questions or 5 seconds, your pick, find out your just a guy impersonating.
Even if you never ever say "I am a sheriff" with it on, it implies and that is enough to get yer handed to you, by either the "good guys" and the "bad guys" out there too !!!

end result of the above gibberish = so not worth it, toss the vest.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #18
K. Oliveira
Cypress' OG Fo Sho!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Raven Edition

Member Garage

In order to be I'm personating, you have to be trying to get someone to "submit to your will due to the misuse / misinterpretation of a uniform" are the elements of that crime
Old 12-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #19
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

@wackjum - I think the key part of this is "It was clearly Appellant's intent in wearing the hat to convey that impression."

@OP - just don't do it.

dressing up like a cop for Halloween (or movie, etc) is unlikely to cause any problem but wearing it just out and about is asking for trouble.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #20
SPYDER BITE
Can-Am has arrived

Bike(s):
2009 Can-Am Spyder 990

Just get a black sharpie and write NOT below the sherrif

Advertisement