MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

I'm racing Baja 500 this year

We have a team of 5 riders heading to Ensenada next Thursday, this is a very exciting time not only for me being a first timer, but for the whole team since they did it last year.

We have a to give a very special thank you to Mexican Energy drink company, Patria Energy, without their large donation, this would not be possible for us, this is an extremely expensive endeavor without their kind and generous help. Also, on top of Patria Energy, we have some local small companies as well as some big companies helping us out. Some of our very own friends from our small community of dirt bikers have stepped up to give a hand.

Cycle Shack North has helped us with some spare parts, some gear, canopies, and several other key items.

XC Gear sent us a really awesome bar clamp set up, The Mako 360 with over-bar mount for a steering damper.

Fly Racing and WPS will have us all looking FLY in our fresh FLY gear for race day.

Frank Novelli at Banner Supply gave us a generous donation.

Austin and Brent Jones at Brent Grinding gave us a generous donation.

PowerFab Autosports gave us a generous donation.

TORCS race series of course got us hooked up too, Thanks Jackie and Gil

Brian Johnson at TJ's Cycle is giving us $1,000,000.00 for beer.

My companies Regate Technology and Tech-Seal International have given us a great deal of help with logistics and traveling expenses.

Bourque Sales & Services has given a generous donation.

We appreciate all of the support that we can get from our local racing/riding community, you will be able to follow along with us via GPS tracking on the Score International app, the event will be live streamed as well as televised in the USA via El Rey television.

What a treat this is and a once in a lifetime, bucket list item for me.

I will put together a list of links and other rather crucial information for you all should you decide to follow along with us.

At this point, our race course is 540 off road miles, plus any asphalt sections that we may run, these are not counted as race course miles, we will begin the race at 3:30 am June 2, 2018, the Trophy trucks will take off at 8:00 am and WILL definitely catch up to us.

Thank you again in advance for the support for our small racing community.

Team Patria Energy #537X Twin W Racing
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much would 1 year of cmra racing really cost? Fastola Taking it to the Track 50 04-01-2013 04:23 PM
Ferrari gives 11-year old racing stud a contract gsxrjai Off Topic 8 06-13-2010 11:16 AM
Two 15-year olds drag racing and crash into ditch Helios Off Topic 26 01-04-2010 09:58 PM
Any racers not racing this year? THE DEAN OF LEAN Taking it to the Track 22 04-07-2009 01:31 PM
CCS NOT racing in Texas next year??? cdill35 Taking it to the Track 52 12-20-2008 02:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
A Few

Subscribed!!!!

MH Member: "The hate group quit posting because of you".
Me: Hold my beer...
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #3
little6

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
k6 600 gixxer (now a Theif owns it)
2011 gsxr 600
1976 cb360
250 track bike
2015 grom

awesome.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Pics of bike please.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

That is epic, will follow along. Hope to see lots of photos and video!
Old 05-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #6
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

We were emailed a ton of information today, we're only 1 week away from leaving Houston, as the excitement continues to build, so do the nerves, and anxiety. There is so much to do, to think about, to learn and memorize. (I will add pics in another post).

If you guys care to read through, feel free but it is a lot of info, mostly irrelevant but, very interesting nonetheless.

A few things to check out for sure are
1. Stella III system, extremely interesting piece of equipment to learn (short 7 minute video)
2. Course notes, these don't mean a whole lot to me at this point but, I will need to get familiar with them.
3. Racer brief, it's very intense with loads of info, rules etc.

If you guys have any specific questions about anything, post em up, I'll do my best to fill you in.

GPS Files, Course Notes, & Preliminary Racer Brief

AVAILABLE ON SCORE'S WEBSITE

Mandatory Viewing of Stella III Unit Operations Video: http://score-international.com/raceinfo/score-tracking/ ***All teams are required to watch this video before the Racer's Meeting.***

50th Baja 500 Course Map: http://score-international.com/racei...00-course-map/

GPS Files: http://score-international.com/racei...2018-baja-500/ ***Includes information regarding the Sportsman Classes Shortcut Requirement***

Course Notes: http://score-international.com/racei...2018-baja-500/

Preliminary Racer Brief: http://score-international.com/racei...2018-baja-500/

BFGoodrich Tires Pit Support Letter: http://www.cvent.com/events/2018-sco...c3ad51754.aspx

VP Racing Fuels Order Form: https://vpracingfuels.com/score-fuel-pre-order-form/

Baja Pits: http://score-international.com/racei...core-baja-500/

Registration Procedure & Information in Spanish (step by step how to register document): http://score-international.com/racei...-info-spanish/

Registration Procedure & Information in English (step by step how to register document): http://score-international.com/racei...information-2/
Old 05-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

We've also had 2 new developments this week, 1 of our riders hurt his ankle ice skating, not sure if he'll be able to ride yet but, we have 1 back up rider who's going primarily as a driver of a truck, we're giving him a stint in the race either way.

Also, our main sponsor, Patria Energy has a family member who is supposedly a factory dirt bike racer of some form, they want him in on the team, so, we're adding him into the rotation, in order to make this work, we've decided to forego racing the Sportsman Moto class and jump into the Pro 40 class. The sportsman classes have a mandatory 80 mile shortcut, not that we're in the Pro class, we'll have to run that extra 80 mile section which works great since we're having to add an additional rider.

Pro class mind you cost more than the Sportsman class, we must pay an additional $400.00, not a problem, we have just enough funds to cover this.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #8
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

What are your planned stints and miles for each rider. time expected for each stint?
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #9
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Preliminary decal set for the bikes

We're adding Fly Racing logos and will most likely be changing our race number into the 400's since we're moving to the Pro 40 class.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 6.47.50 PM.png
Views:	17
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	101116  
Old 05-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #10
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
What are your planned stints and miles for each rider. time expected for each stint?
Shew, these vary and could very well change at any given time.

There is a meeting tonight (I can't attend) going over hopefully the final details so as soon as I get that info I'll be sure to post it up in detail.

HBD graphics has been a wonderful company to work with BTW!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #11
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

A few of our sponsors
Patria Energy stepped up and gave us basically our whole budget for the race event

ALL of the others have given some gracious donations of $$$$

Cycle Shack North in Conroe has been instrumental as well, they've given us a tremendous amount of help and discounts to make sure that our bike stays in good running order, not only our race bike but, we each ride our own bikes for the pre ride, Cycle Shack North has made sure that we all have fresh filter oil, chain lubes, air filters, oil filters and plenty of sweet T-shirts for the trip. Thanks to them, we have a couple Nice, New, Shiny, Shoei VFX-Evo helmets...

HBD has made sure that each of our bikes has the awesome, freshest graphics you can get.

XC Gear stepped up and sent us a beautiful, American made MAKO 360 bar clamp set up equipped with an over bar mount for our trusty steering damper. I met the man who created the Mako 360 in 2016 at the Oklahoma NEPG (AMA National Enduro) race, super duper awesome guy, we had lots in common and quickly became friends (when he asked me to grab his Copenhagen from his camel back for him, I knew he was the one), the whole story could take up a few chapters at minimum but, Lance Smith and his awesome wife Lisa sure have been good to me and us over the last 2 years, because of him, I've met a ton of factory Pro riders, and some who will someday be the same factory tents riding factory bikes. He makes THE best foot pegs for dirt bikes money can buy, also, he makes the best vibration reduction bar mount clamps for all sorts of motorcycles, whether it be a street bike, ATV or your ugly, old Honda (I'm a die hard KTM fan). Since I've been running his Mako 360, my arm pump has 100% completely been eliminated, and this is no bull , I promise his Mako 360 is exactly what he claims it to be.

Fly Racing made sure that we're all in Fly, Fresh, new gear on race day, I love Fly racing gear, it fits me by far the best of all other gear, my favorite Fly racing pants doesn't even have the material on the backside any longer, I continue to wear them. They gave us all Full sets of gear, hats, more stickers than you need to cover your truck with and some sweet squeeze bottles for BEER, I mean water!! Fly supports a whole Texas race Series (TORCS) and several of our finest motorcycle dealers, if you need some new dirt gear, please give them a try..

We're very happy to represent each and everyone of these companies, along with several others who came on board, this trip would not be what it is without each of these playing a role in our adventure.

It's hard for me to keep up with absolutely everything going on for this effort, and I'm handling just a small portion of the weight that this brings upon 10 people, it takes a big team to run this race, and it takes even a bigger team of people to step in and up, to help us make sure that we are successful.

Stay Tuned as I will update as often as I can. I have limited platforms to post or write to, I've been on MH since it first hit the internet, I will always share my adventures for those members who share my same 2 wheeled passion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BGI.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	101117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fly racing.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	101118   Click image for larger version

Name:	HBD.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	101119  

Name:	Patria.jpg
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	101120   Click image for larger version

Name:	PFA.jpg
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	101121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Score .jpg
Views:	8
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	101122  

Name:	XC Gear.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	101123  
Liked this post:
Old 05-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Man. Never would have thought the dirt riding would have created this monster...you've come along way from your debut on a Honda 150 running a rear slick. Keep at it bud!!! Never heard of Patria Energy drink (I do coffee rather than energy drinks), but props to them and other sponsors for helping out the team. Keep updates coming... there's at least 1 guy reading. Good luck and twisty wrists for the Patria Energy team!

BTW, your DOB indicates you've been eligible for that pro40 class for a minute now.

Last edited by dbuck; 05-16-2018 at 10:12 PM.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #13
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

really curious as I get arm pump in the first had lap at the dirt track.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #14
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900ish SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450ishR motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 Honda VFR800
2014 Yamaha XT250

Kick some . Good luck.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:42 AM   #15
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Cant wait to see some of the photos. So do you all share one bike and have a back up bike? The whole team follows in a convoy on the truck? Sidearms carried for bandidos? This must be like a dream for you guys.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #16
LRD
Kawi Green!

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
05 636
08 250 (Sold)

Good luck!
LRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #17
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
really curious as I get arm pump in the first had lap at the dirt track.
I swear it cured my arm pump issue, I did have to pay for my Mako 360 mount so, I'm not chatting it up because he gave me one, I paid for the one on my race bike. The pictured Mako 360 above was a donation to the Baja race bike.

The thing just works.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #18
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
Cant wait to see some of the photos. So do you all share one bike and have a back up bike? The whole team follows in a convoy on the truck? Sidearms carried for bandidos? This must be like a dream for you guys.
I'll post photos as I can, I don't have an international line but if I can manage wifi, I'll have my lap top.

As for answers to your questions:
1. Bikes, we can each ride our own bike for Pre Ride only, for the race, we are only allowed 1 frame/vin. We can have as many parts/parts bikes as we want. We must finish on the same bike we start on.

2. Chase trucks, we will have 3 trucks manned with minimum of 2 persons per truck, we have a total of 10 people, 5 riders, and 5 non riders with one of the non riders scheduled for a section of race mileage. This is where I but out of the details, I'm horrible at logistics and horrible at navigation so, we have a guy who has absolutely everything laid out, race order by person, with mileage details, pit stop mileage and locations. Each truck will have designated pit areas, never will there be more than 1 vehicle at 1 location at a time between the start and the finish of the race, the trucks will be spread out. Chase vehicles are not allowed on the course, and are not allowed to ride backwards on the course, this will be grounds for immediate DQ.

3. Sidearms, unfortunately NO, I carry daily but, I can't cross the border with a firearm nor can I have ammo, or even spent brass. The owner of the race bike has been an HPD officer over 20 years, he too must leave his service weapon behind.

As for the dream, yes, it's a dream for all of us and as Dbuck mentioned, I never thought 7 years ago when I bought my first dirt bike as an adult that I would even think about racing Baja. Now, here I am, chasing a dream that many can't, I won't take it for granted and I will have to calm myself while there. I'm a bit of wild rider, this is an extremely dangerous event, participant/s WILL die and I pray that I make it back home in the exact same conditions I was in the day before I left home.

Our number one priority and goal is to be safe, no injuries.
Finish the race, and do our damnedest to be on the top step of the podium, no matter what class we end up riding.

As the sun rises and sets, plans are ever changing.

Stay tuned guys, and THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH for being apart of this with us, me sharing this with you is part of my race experience as well.

I hope to have many more posts of enjoyable reading, some may be long, some may be short but, I aim to keep you all informed every day as long as I am physically capable of doing some typing.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #19
zpooch

Bike(s):
2000 XR650R(sold)
2002 Suzuki DRZ 400e (sold)
2001 Kawi ZRX1200R & 2010 KTM 300XC
2005 Speed Triple (Traded) 2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V (sold)
2000 Monster 900Sie (sold) 2002 RC51 (sold)

Good luck man! I've ridden in baja, you'll love it down there. I didn't look to see where the 500 course is this year but I hope you like some big trophy truck sized whoops!

zpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #20
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Godspeed, James. So proud of you for doing this and all what you've accomplished throughout the years. Give them !
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement