MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

S side/pearland tire change help

I have been meaning to get setup to change my own tires.

I don't have a balance yet, but was considering this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...and-98488.html

In the meantime, I need a tire change soon. I have the rubber and can take the wheels off. Just never balanced a tire before or removed mounted moto or car/truck tires.

Is this something I can just learn from YouTube vids?

Anyone have a balance and feel like holding my hand? - TIA
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Southeast side tire change ?? BossLady Off Topic 3 07-07-2014 02:01 PM
Pearland side wakeboarding this sat 9/3 tonyt915 Events, Meets and Rides 8 09-02-2011 11:20 AM
tire change?? snoopy281 How To's and Q & A's 3 07-14-2011 11:37 AM
Need help with tire change.. aboo007 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 10-12-2009 10:00 AM
Oil change in Pearland? Jimmy General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 08-05-2006 11:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

Balancer*

I have had that balancer for years. Works just fine.
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
trunxgp1224

I've got 3 balancers, I'd give one up but you're not really near me. and yes you can learn all this stuff on youtube. What kind of tire changer are you looking at?
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
El Pachuco

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2003 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
1975 Honda CB750K
1991 Suzuki DR

balancing a modern wheel/tire combo is a waste of time and completely unnecessary. I've been riding and changing my own tires for 37 years and have only balanced 3 sets of tires. They weren't any better than the countless others that were never balanced. I take unbalanced tires up to speeds of 150 MPH with narry a wiggle or wobble. Others will surely tell you otherwise but I've got over 300k miles of data to back my claim.

And a set of tire spoons from cycle gear is all you need to change your tires, quick and easy.
El Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #5
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

I have the HF stand and balancer. The tire bar it comes with sucks, so I shelled out for the No-Mar bar. Wish I'd gotten the No-Scuff bar instead of the No-Mar. The HF stand is kinda useless unless you get the Mojo Blocks (or heat and bend the tabs that grab the rim). I have the blocks, but I still need a cam buckle strap to keep the tire from spinning and I use two spoons to get the bead over the lip. You'll also need a small diameter metal rod to fit through a MC hub. The one it comes with is too large.

The balancer will work, but open the package first and check the bearings. On mine, the wheels the bearings are pressed into aren't machined evenly. This compresses the outer race and makes the bearings stick. I've had decent luck with most HF stuff, so I'm sure at least one balancer on the shelf will have good bearings.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement