MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

'Big Brother'-style Speed Control System On The Way

By Alex Edge

As if it's not bad enough to hear that my brother (and sister) riders in the UK are plagued by speed cameras, the latest news from across the pond is that the British government's transportation department has supported the development of an anti-speeding system that uses GPS technology to determine if a rider is speeding, and will actually force the motorcycle to slow to the legal limit.

The system is currently being trialed on a small test track which has speed limits that have been mapped by satellite and then programmed into the control unit. Apparently a map of every road in the UK (with appropriate speed limits for each) is currently in the works.

When the speed control unit detects that the bike is speeding, it reduces speed by cutting fuel delivery to the engine - independent of rider input.

Now, we would hope that the British government will never take such draconian measures as making a system like this mandatory on all new bikes. However, it is obvious that they are considering doing so, since they spent the money to develop the system. Therefore I find it necessary to point out the incredibly obvious flaws in such a system.

Let's set aside discussions of personal responsibility, excessive government intervention in personal life, etc. Leave that stuff to the political op-ed columnists. Since this is a motorcycle site, I'm going to focus on the safety aspects of implementing such a system on motorcycles.

Riding the streets of Southern California in the saddle of many different types of motorcycles, I can think of hundreds of times that I have used the acceleration of a motorcycle to move myself out of harm's way. Indeed, I feel that most of the time it is safer to avoid danger by accelerating than by braking - if you are threatened by a vehicle in your line of sight, nailing the brakes will only expose you to further risk from vehicles approaching from the rear - and obviously, you can't see those vehicles until they hit you.

Ever find yourself about to be squeezed into sandwich meat by two oblivious car drivers moving in on you from each side? In this situation, and many others, the safest escape is to accelerate out of harms way.

But wait - you're already traveling 43mph in a 45mph zone. Your mind screams 'DANGER!', you spot the threat out of the corners of your eyes, and you give a quick snap of the throttle to get out of the way. Only you don't get out of the way - because you're not allowed to accelerate! Since you're already traveling at the speed limit, you're doomed to be smashed to bits. Or you can nail the brakes, and probably get rear-ended by a soccer mom in a Suburban with a cell phone in one hand and a kid's ear in the other.

Now suppose you're cruising down a two-lane highway - speed limit 55mph. You find yourself stuck behind a car going only 45mph. Normally, passing this driver would be instantaneous and simple - but not anymore. Running into that pesky speed limit just as you pull alongside him (in the opposing lane) could throw off your timing badly enough that you end up head-on with that oncoming semi.

How about that sweeping corner that you're charging through at 53mph? Just make sure you don't accidentally hit 56mph while you're still leaned over - we all know the consequences of chopping the throttle while the bike is at full lean. It would be even worse if a computer chopped the throttle for you, so you weren't even anticipating it.

Bottom line? A computerized speed control system is a flat-out stupid idea - one that was probably conceived by a desk bound bureaucrat who's only experience with a motorcycle was when he saw Easy Rider as a teenager. I fervently hope that I never see the day when a system like this is implemented in the USA - because that would be the day I pack up and move to India, China, or some other country where I would be able to remain in full control of my own motorcycle at all times.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big brother nabs biker Vegas Kid General Discussion (Moto Related) 55 07-23-2014 08:22 PM
Good big brother/Evil big brother: You decide Coolhandsluke General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 02-18-2014 04:00 AM
Verizon is Big Brother! morvegil The Circus 6 11-13-2011 02:00 PM
big brother Hackass General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 12-10-2007 12:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2006, 10:49 PM   #2
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

cant believe nobody has reponded to this yet.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
Old 03-18-2006, 10:53 PM   #3
AliceInChains02

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

i thought only liberals worried abot big brother????
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
i thought only liberals worried abot big brother????
lets hope somebody cares enough to not let this happen

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 03-18-2006, 11:03 PM   #5
AliceInChains02

Bike(s):
nada

we can only hope. sedition is the only answer
Old 03-18-2006, 11:08 PM   #6
BykeBoyWannabe

Member Garage

This would be good for repeat offenders... If you get caught speeding like... 10 times... They take your license away for a bit, but when you get it back, you got this lame .

But its still a horrible idea, even then.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:21 PM   #7
schecterx

Bike(s):
k4gsxr750

Send a message via AIM to schecterx
that wouldnt be passed in america.. especially since republicans hold majority right now..
schecterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:22 PM   #8
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Send a message via AIM to Ramius
I don't believe it will happen, just think of how much money they would lose in revenues from people suddenly obeying the law.

You don't get speeding tickets as a punishment, it's more of a convenience or fun tax, every time you speed you don't get caught, but when you do you just pay your fine and heck, they don't even bother putting it on your record anymore for just a little bit more money. I think houston alone makes a couple million per year off of speeding tickets, imagine if that income was to suddenly just disappear because no one had the physical capacity to speed. They'd have to up the property or sales taxes to make up the difference then youd really have some of citizens whod just simply move to someplace else.

Thats my opinion anyways
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:23 PM   #9
ownage
Banned

User is banned

ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:27 AM   #10
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

+2 but if it did i would be moving gareenteed...

morefun00800033mr[/IMG][/
!!If it aint its !!
B.S. Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:22 AM   #11
mr_joe

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 R6-Sold
2008 CBR1000

O that would suck !!!!!! it would take the full hour to get to work. But i don't think that would fly here in the US. ( well i hope not)

www.myspace.com/mrjoes
mr_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:55 PM   #12
zixx6r

wouldnt worry about this until it's actively being discussed in congress. I trust the AMA lobby enough to never allow this...in the unlikely event it is even proposed.
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #13
AliceInChains02

Bike(s):
nada

might have to take another look at that license plate flip-up control someone posted a while back
Old 03-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #14
Lobo

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 R6
2007 R1
2007 R6
Custom

Send a message via AIM to Lobo Send a message via Yahoo to Lobo
way i see it is if they do it in the UK we will have even more immigration problems here, try it here and i will fight it tooth and nail i want my freedom !!!!!!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/hyperspeedr6
48c8a880
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:03 PM   #15
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

doubt it'll pass here. but they did speed regulate the busa's.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #16
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Sounds nifty... can't wait till it is here so I can kill myself.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement