MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
TxVrod

Feedback Rating: (0)

For you air cooled owners that trailer their bikes.

Stole this from another forum:

Hey guys this may be something you already know but it was knew to me and I thought I would pass it on. It came up in a quality meeting. We hear plenty of good stuff after Bike Week. When you trailer your bike make sure the tranmission is in neutral. If the bike is in gear it will gently rock back and forth just enough to rotate the motor back and forth. This will eventually cuase the hydraulic lift to cavitate and suck air. Then when the bike is started it has an extremely load lifter noise until they bleed their selves free of air. They said some could take as long as 20-25 minutes. Reports from several dealers of people trailering their bikes and then running straight to the dealer thinking something was wrong with their bike. The V-Rod isn't really a victim of this because of the overhead cam setup, but they still said to save wear and tear haul it in nuetral. For those of you that already knew this, sorry to waste your reading time, for those of you who didn't I thought I would pass it on since I just learned of it and found it interesting.
TxVrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air cooled two valve Ducati? Cursed Bike. General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 05-24-2015 10:25 PM
air cooled vs liquid cooled? xjx General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 07-30-2009 08:09 PM
Advice on loading two bikes in one trailer... Kasual General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 05-20-2008 08:25 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

hhmmm, I always haul in first gear. strapped heavily and pulled from the sides as well as the front and rear directions. Still, will take your advice and toss it in nuetral. Thanks

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
SackDragger

Bike(s):
Gixxer

Good tidbit thanks

Cheesy Family Photos:
http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/ctreat/
SackDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
Neversatisfied02

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 1000
2007 Kawi ZX10R (SOLD)
2006 Kawi ZX6R (SOLD)
2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 (SOLD)

I think i had mine in neutral from the dealer when i bought it. Good info though. I know all my buddy swear that it is better to tow or haul them in gear with the kickstand down just in case even if it is all strapped in. I tied telling them different. lol Ill have to show them this!

Thanks for the info!!
Neversatisfied02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

ive hauled mine in gear in the open air without any start problems. i dont see how the air going through would affect any part of the engine since its not being pulled in like a vaccum at the throttle when its on.

first time im hearing this.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
TxVrod

"If the bike is in gear it will gently rock back and forth just enough to rotate the motor back and forth. This will eventually cause the hydraulic lift to cavitate and suck air."

Also, it doesn't always happen.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #7
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxVrod
"If the bike is in gear it will gently rock back and forth just enough to rotate the motor back and forth. This will eventually cause the hydraulic lift to cavitate and suck air."

Also, it doesn't always happen.

i guess this applies for long trips with harsh stop and go conditions for the crank to rotate.

was this posted on a sportbike site or model specific forum? i would like to read more about this.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #8
TxVrod

Well, it was posted on the V-Rod forum, although it doesn't apply to that model, particularly. Might be more applied to V-Twins, but I don't know for sure. One of the instances I noticed as an example was towing from here to Sturgis.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:26 PM   #9
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

I have always towed my bike in gear just for a peice of mind iv never had a problem but i normaly only travel about 31miles with it loaded up....

morefun00800033mr[/IMG][/
!!If it aint its !!
B.S. Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #10
rickykline
super squid

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
1999 yamaha r1 RIP
2005 zx10r

they are talking about harleys.. cuz they are pushrod motors.. ovehead cam motors wont be affected...

I WISH MY GRASS WAS EMO SO IT WOULD CUT ITSELF....
rickykline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #11
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversatisfied02
I think i had mine in neutral from the dealer when i bought it. Good info though. I know all my buddy swear that it is better to tow or haul them in gear with the kickstand down just in case even if it is all strapped in. I tied telling them different. lol Ill have to show them this!

Thanks for the info!!
I do know to never tow with the stand down, it has collapsed more than a few that way

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
Old 03-18-2006, 03:38 PM   #12
Neversatisfied02

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 1000
2007 Kawi ZX10R (SOLD)
2006 Kawi ZX6R (SOLD)
2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 (SOLD)

I dont mean the stand is holding the bike. I mean when it strapped with the soft ties and tie down straight up and down and the stand isnt even touching. My buddies seem to think it would be better to leave it down just in case even though its not touching or helping anything.
Neversatisfied02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:42 PM   #13
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversatisfied02
I dont mean the stand is holding the bike. I mean when it strapped with the soft ties and tie down straight up and down and the stand isnt even touching. My buddies seem to think it would be better to leave it down just in case even though its not touching or helping anything.
ok

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]

Advertisement