MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
AFS_Racing
Boost King

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

GSXR 600 No start

I have a '06 GSXR 600 that has been in an accident. I have put most of it back together and fully charged the battery (verified with voltage meter), and when the key is turned to the ON position and the motor is turned to the start position, there is nothing with the starter. There is not even the sound of the FI going through it's start cycle.

Is there a "tip-over" switch that could be causing all of this? If so where is it located, and how do you reset?

Also, it was over 1.5 qts low on oil. Any thoughts as to whether this would have caused damage? It appears that the bike was 12 o'clocked, and went upside down HARD, then on the front.

Thanks in advance for any / all help.
AFS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2006 gsxr won't start K6GsxR How To's and Q & A's 13 07-15-2014 02:40 AM
2007 Gsxr fuel/start up issue Q8ypilot How To's and Q & A's 5 11-04-2012 09:26 PM
gsxr 600 wont start snoopy281 How To's and Q & A's 3 07-10-2010 04:41 PM
help on remote start on 03 gsxr trimnslim How To's and Q & A's 4 05-27-2010 12:17 AM
'01 GSXR 600 start problem. Josue How To's and Q & A's 16 01-15-2009 02:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Try getting a Honda and that should fix the problem right up.

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
mammothmc

If you're that low on oil there's a chance the cylinders are full of oil. If you turn it over without pulling the spark plugs.......you'll wish you didn't

But if the fuel pump isn't kicking in its more likely something electrical. Definately check the tilt sensor.
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
Metzzen1
Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
srad gix 6

Send a message via AIM to Metzzen1
are the guages working? lights?

yes there is a tilt sensor. usually under the seat/tank near the battery. Im not to sure about resetting them...i thought when the bike was upright it reset but maybe check some of the stunt forums for advice. they tend to disable them for whoolies and what not.

If your lights and guages are workin and still nothing, try kickstand. You can try jumping the wires together to override the kickstand swtich. also check the clutch switch and kill switch.

If it flipped there is a high probability that some of the hand controls got smashed. get out your multimeter and check it out.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
camaroz2866

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

On that bike tip over sensor is infront of tail light pull tail section and you will see it, check your fuses, if need help call me 2817365664 call day or night
Old 06-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzzen1 View Post
are the guages working? lights?

yes there is a tilt sensor. usually under the seat/tank near the battery. Im not to sure about resetting them...i thought when the bike was upright it reset but maybe check some of the stunt forums for advice. they tend to disable them for whoolies and what not.

If your lights and guages are workin and still nothing, try kickstand. You can try jumping the wires together to override the kickstand swtich. also check the clutch switch and kill switch.

If it flipped there is a high probability that some of the hand controls got smashed. get out your multimeter and check it out.
if its a switch, it would have to be the kill switch....if the bike is in neutral the sidestand switch and clutch switch wouldnt matter, the fuel pump would prime. i would check the kill switch, make sure the fuses are all set, and then go after the tip over sensor. ive attached the picture from the manual to show where the TO sensor is (located in the tail)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TO sensor.JPG
Views:	2039
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	24833  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
If you don't shake it after you pee the terrorists win.
Ben C.
Bluestreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
AFS_Racing
Boost King

Thanks to all of you for your detailed replies.

I think that I will start with the tip-over sensor (TO). I saw this item when I was replacing the subframe and the aluminum tailbox support. I actually re-installed the TO sensor to the new tailbox support. Does anyone know if there is a way to re-set the TO sensor? I can try a spare that I have from another bike to confirm whether this item is the cause.

I will also check the fuses. Can I assume that the small box with the four or five fuses near the battery box are the only fuses on the bike? Or are there additional fuses located elsewhere (under the fairings or cowl), though I never recall seeing another fusebox?

I will also pull the plugs to verify that the cylinders are not filled with oil, as it was certainly strange that the engine was nearly 1.5 qts low.

There are no guages or lights on the bike at the moment, so basically, I have nothing that indicates anything is getting battery power. The cowl harness is completely disconnected from the bike. But... the battery has a full charge and is connected.

Again, thanks to all who provided useful input in trying to solve the no-start situation.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

well if the connections are there for the headlights, you can check and see if there is voltage at the low beam plug. Im not sure if there is a "master" fuse, havent gone looking. ill poke around in the manual tonight and see what it says

Quote:
Ben C.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

heres where its located per the manual
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Fuse.JPG
Views:	796
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	24844  

Quote:
Ben C.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
If you have it apart and a DVOM, get an etm and start at the starter.

That year all the sensor/switch signals should go back to an ecu. continuity check at the ECU connector w the computer off. If they ground, even quicker check.

Tip snsr an be checked the same way or jumped w a paperclip in the right two holes.

If really concerned about running, pull the spark plugs, make sure the oil isnt sitting in the cylinder as mentioned earlier, then reassemble and push start it. Compression(initiated from starter), spark and fuel keeps an engine running.
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
AFS_Racing
Boost King

I got a bit of time to work on the bike this evening. I lifted the tank, pulled the air box lid (surprise K&N), then the airbox bottom, coils, then plugs. There was no oil in the airbox, nor did there appear to be any in the cylinders. I am concerned with the low oil.

I applied a liberal coating of PB Blaster in each cylinder. I placed the bike in 4th, and began to rock the pistons back and forth. Although it seemed quite difficult at first, it got a bit easier as the rocking continued. I sprayed additional PBB down the TB throats and opened the throttle blades to allow it to "drain" into the cylinders through the valves.

I hope to get to look at the fuse box tomorrow, then maybe I can get a start on the electrical. Can anyone confirm that the only fusebox is the one near the battery box (appears to hold 4-5 fuses)?

Thanks again for all of the help! Excellent schematics from BlueStreak06!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #12
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS_Racing View Post
I got a bit of time to work on the bike this evening. I lifted the tank, pulled the air box lid (surprise K&N), then the airbox bottom, coils, then plugs. There was no oil in the airbox, nor did there appear to be any in the cylinders. I am concerned with the low oil.

I applied a liberal coating of PB Blaster in each cylinder. I placed the bike in 4th, and began to rock the pistons back and forth. Although it seemed quite difficult at first, it got a bit easier as the rocking continued. I sprayed additional PBB down the TB throats and opened the throttle blades to allow it to "drain" into the cylinders through the valves.

I hope to get to look at the fuse box tomorrow, then maybe I can get a start on the electrical. Can anyone confirm that the only fusebox is the one near the battery box (appears to hold 4-5 fuses)?

Thanks again for all of the help! Excellent schematics from BlueStreak06!
thats the only fusebox that is shown in the manual....aside from the main fuse which is above it. do you want a copy of the manual? i uploaded one before, but cant find it.....so ill start uploading it now again and ill post up the link when its done

Quote:
Ben C.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #13
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

well, in case you dont have it, you should be able to download it here

http://www.2shared.com/file/6505154/...__SM_2006.html

Quote:
Ben C.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
AFS_Racing
Boost King

Excellent results to report!

I worked for a bit on it today, and all fuses in the fuse box under the seat (only one fuse box on a '06 GSXR600) were fine. I found out that two wires up near the lock cylinder were cut. I "borrowed" a lock cylinder from another bike and still nothing. It turns out that the starter relay has a master fuse (30A) that allows all power from the battery to go to everything else. The 30A fuse in the starter relay was blown. I replaced the fuse and viola everything is powered up.

I placed all the plugs back in, reinstalled the COPs, and the bike started right up. I will still need to repair/replace the wiring on the lock cylinder, but it is running. I also replaced the rearsets (each side bracket bent) and replaced the L clip on.

After the bike started, I found that the side cover had a gaping hole up high, but is was also cracked all the way around to the bottom. Even though this is bad (have to replace the side cover), it is a good thing, because now I know where the 1.5 qts of missing oil went.

Pretty good for under an hours work. I am hopeful that the bike will be up and 95% ready by the weekend.

Thanks to all for all of the help witth diagnosis.

Bluestreak,
I downloaded the service manual. Many thanks for the link!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

glad to hear you got it running....i had a feeling it was that main fuse. and glad to hear you were able to download the manual!

Quote:
Ben C.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
chase
LOCTITE

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

Quote:
After the bike started, I found that the side cover had a gaping hole up high, but is was also cracked all the way around to the bottom. Even though this is bad (have to replace the side cover), it is a good thing, because now I know where the 1.5 qts of missing oil went.
ha i saw this thread late, i was gonna tell u if it tipped then there is probably oil standing in the stator cover...it happens quick, a buddy accidently let his bike fall on its side in my shop, stator cover filled up in about 5 seconds and we had to take it off to get it all out, otherwise its just gonna leak the whole time the engine is running.

glad u figured it out, and its a relatively cheap fix
Old 06-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
AFS_Racing
Boost King

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase View Post
ha i saw this thread late, i was gonna tell u if it tipped then there is probably oil standing in the stator cover...it happens quick, a buddy accidently let his bike fall on its side in my shop, stator cover filled up in about 5 seconds and we had to take it off to get it all out, otherwise its just gonna leak the whole time the engine is running.

glad u figured it out, and its a relatively cheap fix
I will be pulling the stator cover, as it will be needing replacement (can't run with the 1/4" x 1-1/4" gash in the side).

p.s. PB Blaster smokes like a when first lit off.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #18
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years

I might have a stator cover for that bike, ill check when I get off work. Pm me.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #19
AFS_Racing
Boost King

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase View Post
The stator cover is open to engine oil. Whether the bike tipped or not, there will be oil "slung" into the stator cover. And I don't understand why you had to get the oil out of the stator cover, as it is open to oil all the time.

On a side note, I (and my son) replaced the cover today and took it out for several miles (actually he did most of the riding). The bike runs quite well, and I still have hopes to have it mostly done by the weekend.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #20
chase
LOCTITE

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

Quote:
The stator cover is open to engine oil. Whether the bike tipped or not, there will be oil "slung" into the stator cover. And I don't understand why you had to get the oil out of the stator cover, as it is open to oil all the time.

On a side note, I (and my son) replaced the cover today and took it out for several miles (actually he did most of the riding). The bike runs quite well, and I still have hopes to have it mostly done by the weekend.
yes oil is slung into it, but the stator cover itself was never designed to hold oil...fill it up with oil, it will leak...

Advertisement